[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Of course it is a thrower,but I don’t want it to become a Maxtoch 2X shooter,as for its tint,because I want CW lights.

Hi The Miller when is the BLF GT going into actual production phase?

They are making an prototype right now.

So the reason you guys are sticking with XHP35 instead of 50 or 70.2 is throw as opposed to absolute power?

I do like the idea of a 125W single LED flashlight though ……

Does anybody have any links with the 125W test?

XHP70 comes in 12V
The sheer size and fins ought to assist in cooling
Should be a beast of a mod :slight_smile:

Definite throw. The XHP35 HI might be the best stock LED out there for throw. The only other stock LED's (not dedomed) that can compete are the XPL HI and the OSRAM Oslon Black Flat.

With my Convoy L6, I measured 18A at the tail with a XHP70.2 using a triple channel FET based driver runing NarsilM. Since the CREE XHP70.2 data sheet only shows up to 4800 mA on the Vf curve, I would guess Vf is at about 6.4V at 18A, therefore watts would be 115 watts (6.5V would be 117 watts), post #94 here in the XHP70.2 thread.

If the math is correct, there is still room for one more? I would like to be that one.

And don’t tell the missus: she is more into walking on shoes with a just-out-of-the-box smell.

Can you put down for 1 or at least on the back up if anyone backs out . Thanks

What bin will the XHP35HI be in? If it has been discussed i have probably missed it. Am contemplating reflowing a dedomed HD when i’ve attained some level of skill. 200 lumen advantage over stock HI apparently!

:wink:

Yes we can talk led seems smart

I lean towards NW for it is a tint pleasing to my eyes (personal) and in more foggy rainy weather reaches further right?

Well, if you want “foggy rainy weather” performance, you want less blue, so the warmer side of neutral would be better - as warm as you can get and still get it in a high output bin. But, my personal favorite color temp is 5000K, which is actually the cooler side of neutral by objective standards.

If you de-dome a domed emitter, it reduces the lumen output and effectively drops the bin a few notches. It also causes the tint to become warmer and often a bit greener.

The “HI” emitters are basically de-domed at the factory, providing virtually the same result as de-doming at home, only with better tint and durability.

If you really want to increase the throw, try swapping in a de-domed XP-G2. Or if you want to increase the lumens, try using a XHP50 or XHP70. But there is very little to be gained from replacing a factory-de-domed emitter with a home-de-domed emitter of the same family.

Or, another (theoretical) way to increase the throw would be to use something like the negative space of a very small Wavien collar. Basically, float a very small reflector above the LED to reflect forward-emitted light back at the LED so it can bounce out to the side and into the primary reflector. This would mostly eliminate the spill portion of the beam and move that light into the hotspot.

However, I’ve never seen anyone actually do this. It would be tricky, and might not even work.

Wavien collars are for use with lenses, not reflectors.
Wavien collars do exactly the opposite of what you just said, it takes light going to the sides and bounces it back to the LED so that more of it goes forwards and onto the lens.
Completely useless in a reflector flashlight because what contributes to throw is the light going to the sides, not the light going forward.

Your idea is like the opposite of a wavien collar, instead of taking side light and putting it forward it takes forward light and puts it to the side.
The problem is that there isn’t much light going forward because the reflector already collects like 75% or more.
Some people suggested putting a tiny lens in front of the LED for the forward “spill” light, but honestly it isn’t worth it.
Might as well build an aspheric thrower at that point.

As for “tint”, as it relates to the GT.

As was stated in the first sentence of the OP … this thing is/was designed first & foremost to be a thrower.

From opening of OP:

The GT, a BLF special giga thrower

• A new project
    Aim:
    BIG thrower that surpasses the latest super throwers like the TN42

……
I hope we do not stray from the original stated intent of the GT
:slight_smile:

I think we’re saying the same thing. :slight_smile:

I see, must have missed that part.

Ok, scratch that idea about dedoming then. If the GT will be produced in both tints i’d gladly take both, NW for the personally better tint and CW solely for cloud spotting! Was going to get another TN42 for this reason but now i’ll just wait….hopefully not too long…. right? :smiley:

It works but not that well. 5-10% depending on application. In my experience. :wink: