[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

heheh with its 12-14 meter stalks evergreen it does:
block view to a road
block view to us from the road and other river bank
block sounds from the road
a triangle of 300m2 is home for our 2 chickens, protecting them from birds of prey above and the rhizomes make it impossible for foxes to dig under the fence
I use it as material for several things (2 open side buildings now are closed making it all look much more tidy and nice)
we give a lot away to people with vegetable gardens for beans and tomatoes

The mill streams with hard stony bedding insures it does not spread further

and we touched 200K liter just now, the hose is running at the center of the bamboo island and I made a few shallow trenches to get as much wet as possible.
pumping half of the river now, water dropping fast, need to get a better distrbution going, trip to hardware store planned for I want to use our pipes runnng to several parts of the garden and tubes to the fruit island, so splitting the one big tube into 5 small hoses, much easier to relocate

No news on the GT but June is not over yet :wink:

What diameter does it grow to?

hmm IDK 70mm? Too bg to enclose with my hand on some, I cut 10% of all I barely or not enclose with my hand each year

Sounds like you have a pretty interesting plot of land around you.

I’m not sure what the land is made of though. :slight_smile:

yeah, flashlights sure come in handy :wink:

@ BrianK…… You did have a hot job my friend…. :frowning:

Is there a Green Liquor & a Black Liquor also Brian???

The reason I ask because a few summers I drove 18 wheelers. One summer what was then Scott Paper in Mobile, AL had too much Green and Champion Paper in Cantonment, FL had to much Black. They needed to do a swap out & hired us to haul it, in tankers of course. We would haul a load of Green, unload it, load a load of Black, haul it back and just repeat the process night & day until finished.

Best I remember, one was much more caustic than the other and would burn the crap out of you if some got on you… can’t remember which was which though now. I tried to keep it all of of me. :smiley:

We also hauled chips. What the picture below shows just flat out amazed me the first time I saw it……… :open_mouth:

My first time to the mill the guy I work for rode with me to show me the ropes so to speak. We went through the scales and proceeded on to where I backed the rig down this narrow ‘platform’… after opening the rear doors of course. I firmed it up against the stops in the rear and he told me to lock it down & shut it down. I did and we got out and secured a chain, that was attached to the platform; around the front axle. I still had not figure out what was about to happen……… :smiley:
As he stepped aside he told me I could just get back in the truck. I started to…… :person_facepalming: …… but then thought better of it… thank GOD. I went and stood by him. And then this happened……………….

If I had been dumb enough to get back in that truck…… there would have been a fight when I got back down. :smiley:

They told me they had only been doing the chain thing for a few weeks too. Seems the reason they started was a few weeks earlier they had a new guy running the lift and he took it up to fast & stopped to abruptly at the very top. :smiley: They said the truck and trailer lifted off the platform & stayed balanced for what seems like a few seconds…. then the truck went to the side and the whole shooting match toppled backwards.
No one was hurt but they said it was a sight to behold. I bet it was!!! :wink:

I was young and real dumb then. The weights we hauled in both the tanks and the chip trailers were so far above legal if I had ever got stopped and checked by the DOT I would probably still be in jail. :person_facepalming:
I would not do that again on a bet. None of our rigs were designed to haul the weights we did. Looking back now I am extremely thankful nothing every happened that I killed someone or myself.
…………….

@ Pulsar ……… I remember taking a load of chips to a mill one day and it was closed. Stayed closed for a few hours too before they let us in to unload………. we finally found out why. :frowning:
Some guy had shut down the de-barker, right before shift change; to go into it to check something. He did not lock it out or tell anyone. :frowning:
Next shift guy got there a few minutes early…… you know the rest of the story. :frowning:

If I remember right, there was at least a black liquor, and that was the worst

Theres a good reason for a lockout/tagout procedure, and it does SAVE LIVES. Its a shame when it is not used and someone ends up a victim from it. Although, hate to say it, but it was that guys own fault :person_facepalming:

Hey guys... count me in. Add me to the list for at least 1...

Not a big fan of the cell configuration but can live with it.

Hmmmmm…. sounds like I need to plant some of that down one of my property lines between me and a new neighbor……… :wink:
I was thinking of using what we call cane, but Bamboo sounds much better!!! :+1: … :slight_smile:

Bamboo is invasive and care needs to be taken to keep it where you want it and not everywhere . A lot like sumac, but grows a lot quicker… and physically, its nothing like sumac lol

That is kinda what I was thinking too, but it has been a long time ago. :weary:

Oh yeah, no doubt it was completely his fault. No way the other guy would have known or even suspected. Like you said, the procedure is there for a reason.

Yeah, that what I have been told…. the invasive part anyway. Didn’t know the other.
I had one guy tell me that it put out shoots/runners about 6 inches underground & that is how it spread. He said if I could contain those I could keep it where I wanted it. BUT, I have to do some more investigation to see if that is true or not.

If it is I’ll just make a barrier that goes down in the ground about a foot (to be safe… :wink: ) and put them parallel to each other about a foot apart. That would make me a nice Bamboo wall about a foot thick……. :+1: …. IF I can be sure to contain it, that would be good. :smiley:

beware some types of bamboo spread like crazy
ours makes rhizomes with a sharp point it uses to kind drill through a lot, finger thick with roots pointng in all directions every 10 centimeter.
I hav found 7 layers of it cris crossing and when diconnected from the main system the roots pointing upwards create small “emergeny shoots” to up to 2 metersto get sun and it grows on
make a deep good barrier also on your neightbors side, it wll grow and is very hard if not impossible to get rid of.
In a grass lawn it is not bad though, the rhizomes make it hard for moles and when the new shoots come up we can eat them or just kick them down

The part about spreading underground is correct, and about the only thing sumac has in common besides being invasive.
You can do a barrier to keep it in check. I would look up what was needed, and go deeper just to make sure lol.

You’re lucky you can’t remember. I run into coworkers who retired and I ask them if the nightmares have stopped. 100% of them look at me with bug eyes as though I’m a mind reader and ask me how I know. I worked there too and have PTSD from it as well as they do. They just don’t know what to call it. I had a psychologist diagnose it for me after I decided that I was never going back shortly after they tried to kill me. That gives one a powerful incentive to figure out what was going on. For me the nightmares haven’t fully ended, but they have lessened. No doubt tonight I’ll have one because I’m writing this. One of my buddies I worked with tells me that his recurring nightmare is that they’re ordering him to do something and he tells them, “But I’m retired.”. They still try to get him him to do whatever it is in the nightmare. All of the retirees suffer from it.

Yup, sounds like the place. As long as management stayed in their offices the place ran smoothly. Then SAPPI got the idea that they would “Take back the streets” during labor negotiations, ran full page adds calling us all sort of things. Some of management came from the lower ranks and knew their stuff, but after the SAPPI takeover anyone with a degree and no knowledge could do anything. Refuse them, get charged, do it and get hurt, get charged. That mindset came very close to killing me. I decided an early retirement was what I really wanted before they did kill me. In my later years it was my job to go into places not fit for man or beast while it was running and some of the white hats wouldn’t take, “NO! It’s not safe.” for an answer. I had to call security on one of those clowns. But I wasn’t going to die to make paper. I wasn’t even going to play the odds because eventually the odds play out. Want it done? Shut it down. That won me no points, they wanted me to risk life and limb and I wasn’t going to do that. It was the folks who graduated Maine Maritime who were responsible. The school has a good reputation among folks who have never worked under the graduates. But they don’t care about lives. I would never hire anyone from that school if I was an employer because they are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

That place is absolute hell today and I feel very sorry for the folks working there. But Maine has few good paying jobs and 1500 fewer since SAPPI took over.

By the way SAPPI stands for South African Pulp and Paper Inc… Apartheid never ended it just came to the USA. Leopards don’t change their spots. They will deny what SAPPI stands for, in fact some management person wrote a lengthy paper stating that it was just a word that everyone knew coming out of the womb and not an acronym that meant anything. Yup, makes sense to me and I believe it (not at all).

Thank Miller, that is some good info also. :+1: I had forgot the shoots could be eaten too. :slight_smile:

More good info Pulsar… :+1: … I’ll double check on the depth and go from there. Probably go twice as deep as required… just to make sure. :+1:

In fact, all this talk has got my brain to working overtime. :smiley:

• I have a friend that has a trencher that will cut a 3 inch trench, I can borrow it on a weekend.
    Best I remember it will go at least 3 feet deep. And where this is will be easy digging…… no rocks at all.
  • I have another friend that hauls concrete… lots of time they have overages they have to get rid of.
    My 3 inch trench would work just fine for that. I’ll just build a little containment pen out of 2 x 10’s or something…. he can back in the driveway, dump it and be on his way…. after making darn well sure I am at home!!! :smiley:
    Then I’ll take it to the trench by wheel barrow.
    We will continue the process, whenever he has overages; till the containment is finished.
  • Basically no cost… just a little work & time. :slight_smile:
  • Then bring on the Bamboo………. :smiley:

The old scott tissue got torn down a little back. From what I was told from the out of state union workers (I pointed that out because I was laid off and wanted in on that job, and they wouldnt let us because we were not from their MA union…) the paper machines were to be taken apart and shipped to the Middle East.

The Bucksport mill got shut down. That was hundreds of jobs, in an area where there really are no jobs, lost…

The Jay mill is on brink of closing. No one I know that works there knows if their job will still be there next year, or the next few months at that…

It really is horrible for our economy here…

I worked for a small company that did maintenance and repairs. At Hinkley we were usually subbed out from Cainbro. We were the company that did the nasty crap that the company hired to to the nasty crap hired to do because it was too nasty…

We also worked a lot of trash burners in the end of it. Nasty, nasty stuff…

Edit: I think this forum could find a way to bring an off topic subject back on topic (or off topic) possibly :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been meaning to check if it can work in a 4-cell “shorty” configuration. 8 cells is an awful lot of juice for one little emitter. The shorty config would look pretty unbalanced, and I don’t think it’s in the plan, but it might be nice sometimes.

OTOH, it will probably be able to run on turbo for a long long time.