[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

If I’m providing my own cells, would you recommend 30Qs or GAs?

Since virtually any cell will provide the necessary current draw, go with the most capacity you can find at the least price. :wink:

LG MJ1 is viable, as is the GA, really though just find the best deal on capacity cells and run with it. :wink: (Button tops will fit more snugly, flat tops will need to be adapted or the carrier’s will have to be altered by removing the insulation disc)

Either will work perfectly fine.

I am a big fan of GA’s in real world use, I find they generally work great.

Either will work with pros/cons, but we won't know the details how each cell type performs until the GT gets the updates applied, and hopefully we'll get a new prototype/pre-production unit to test.

Tradeoff's are GA's will get longer runtime but have higher resistance, so may not hold high output for as long as 30Q's will.

Tom, do you really think a sub 2A pull will have such things making a noticeable difference? Not being cynical, wondering myself which cells would be most ideal… was thinking 30Q’s but those may be overkill for such a small drain light. I’ve been looking around at IMR and LiIon Wholesale and they have some good sales going on, makes it harder to know which 8 would be best. lol

Well, it's a buck driver, but, the Vf on the XHP35 HI's is higher than we thought, so even on good cells, the prototypes were not staying within regulation very long on only 4 cells. Poorer cells would not regulate at all. We are gonna have them make mods to reduce resistance so we should see better performance - longer time in regulation, but the cell resistance will have an impact on this. It's 4S into a 12+V LED, so not much head room of voltage. Also using 8 cells will help, as opposed to 4 cells.

In MrsDNF's review, he initially posted an output curve not regulating, shown here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/46789/69. He used high resistance cells though, and didn't make any resistance reducing mods.

Edit: Ooopsie! That was also at ~2.5A, but we are gonna max out ramping at 2A. I think dbl click turbo will still be at 2.5A though.

Also see his posts #101 and 102 in his review thread.

With this low amp draw I’d say the higher the mAh the better

Liion Wholesale has button top Samsung 30Q’s for $5.09 each. Just saying…

(Hurry! Only 438 left! :wink: )

You can’t really count on Steve’s results though as he had the oddity of a single carrier tube.

Sure, we can run a single carrier with 4 cells, but it’s designed around 8 cells so why not fill it up for maximum efficiencies and run times? Count on Steve’s results if you want to cripple it with only 4 cells.

I may be remembering incorrectly, as is many times the case for me, but I’ve run an XHP-35 at 3.11A and I think it was making 13.7Vf at the emitter. That would mean it would drop out of regulation when the cells fall to around 3.45V. I’ll try to find notes or re-measure that light… (might not still have that light, but I know my Shooter 2X is doing 2.89A so I can measure that one either way)

The emitters in the prototypes had a Vf of closer to 14.6V IIRC. Which combined with the higher resistance of the springs caused the early drop out. The final LED’s and springs should reduce this issue a lot but exactly how much we can’t know for sure till we see it.

With all 8 cells full, it truly doesn’t matter what cells you use. They will only see about 1.4A each max.

Right I am totally lost :person_facepalming:
I am in the first list for the $111 purchase price at number 496.
I am in the second list for the $150 purchase price at number 496.
I am in the Mr Scott PM list at number 429.
I received a PM & paid immediately (I mean immediately as within 1 minute of receiving the PM :slight_smile: ) but mistakenly used the 496 number & not the 429 number in the PM.
I immediately PM”d Neal & explained what I had done, no reply.
Any chance of confirmation that I have indeed paid to be in the first 555 ?

Talking about bags,would this fit?Form factor seems fitting.
sling bag

The emitter I used in my 2X is an 5000K HI variant, here’s the numbers I got from it running the LD-2 adapted for 12V
[These are actual at-the-emitter measurements, Voltage and amperage]
0.06A at 10.80V for ~89 lumens
0.55A at 12.22V for ~783 lumens
2.87A at 14.75V for ~2346 lumens

And the LD-2 driver is very efficient apparently, with tail current readings at .06, .57 and 2.89A earlier (cells were higher charged then) [tail measurements on current]

So yeah, it’s a bit higher Vf than I recalled. (surprise surprise!)

So at 2.89A (tail reading) the Vf would mean each cell needs 3.6875V to run it. Since we’re only talking about 2.5A here, and the driver is supposed to be nearly equally efficient as Neven’s, (did I remember his name right?) we should still be pretty good with most of the popular cells, especially using 8 cells.

…. simple…. she’s a midget!!

Payment sent.

The best all arround battery for 90% of my torches and all my smoking mods is VTC6

Sorieusly guy, do you consider carrying that huge backpack? Realy? my hunting backpack has simiar dimentions.

I actualy do plant for it to sit permanently in my hunting SUV, or in the hut.

It is not possible to respond to all who PMmed the correct number/added phone number/real name/saying they have paid
You responded to the PM with the correct Nr so Neal can add 1 and 1.
Neal probably sleeps now, so I’ll post the list of people paid when he send me his last excel sheet, now I only have an older one SK sure all paid after that was made would panic :wink:

I have read. I have looked. I am still not sure, so I will just ask. :slight_smile:

Is there a list a separate list of the first 555 that shows who has actually paid the down payment?

If NO… that is fine.

If YES, where is it?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Miller will be checking off the numbers that have paid soon as I understand it. It has been difficult to keep track of everything to say the least and they have fallen a bit behind understandably.

Sorry for late entry, I haven’t been on a few days and missed PM due to username change, I have now paid, #62

:+1: