[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Will update list later
Welcome new members!

And I yeah just put $10 in a jar every month from now on.
Let’s see if we can have it in our hands before there is enough in the jar to pay for it :wink:

Add me to the list, please.

Well at least if we have to wait 2 years you’ll have enough when it comes in massively over budget and under spec :smiley:

Interested in 1

Hahaha no under spec is so not an option and we are talking about the tight $100 mark with the first manufacturer contacted and have not gotten a definite “no” so good hopes about it ATM. Will reveal who that is when it goes through.

However one of the immediate questions was “for this low price is it available for all people on BLF?” and our answer was we could limit the amount

Headsup, if we indeed have to limit the amount the interest list will become complicated.
I am going to divide the current one list into several then.
1 main list with max. 1 entry a person.
2 backup list (same amount of entries as primary list) with those asked for a second one and people asking to be put on the list after the limited amount is reached in the order of asking to be put on the list.
3 backup list same as 2 with those asked for a third one
4 backup list same as 3
Etc till all entries have a spot.
This ensures the most people will be able to get a GT
We would be working with a code that allows 1 order and after initial period it will be checked how much are left and we move to the first backup list.
I will put my name on the last spot of the primary and first backup list.
And well I need to check out how to have two lists side by side in order to keep the length of the OP in check :wink:

This is all IF but it seems fair to me right?

I don’t think you need the redundant entries (on lists 2, 3, etc.) just the unique names for that list. So, list one is everybody once, list two is only everybody who wanted more than one, list three is only everybody who wanted more than two, etc. is how I’d do it. Then, the lists are additive, not subtractive. You finish list one and there are lights left, you just go on into list two, etc. I think there would be less confusion that way.

Please put me down for 1. Thanks The Miller!

Yes that is what I mean.
1 for each who wants one till Mac number is reached
People asking for their first after the list ia full added to bavkuplist 1 where people asking for more are on again once.
And so on till the number of lists is the same as the number of GTs are most asked for by somebody and of course list 1 fills fastest backup list 1 fills faster then backup list 2 etc.

If the manufacturer we are now talking with is going to do it I for see lots of people wanting in.

Sorry my comment about the over prince, under spec was based upon normal project management stuff I deal with day to day at work.

Always over sold.
Always over price.
Never come up to expectations.

Lets hope this one is a winner :smiley:

Put me on the list if we can hit that $100 mark, or close to it.

We already discussed this several dozen pages ago.
An LED emits light in a 3 dimensional hemisphere, not in a plane.
It looks like half of it is being lost, but you still need to integrate around a sphere to find the actual amount of light, which looks like this:

If you’re interested in the math, go read from the beginning :wink:
We have also decided that in order to keep costs lower we will not be using a reflector-lens combination.
Remember the goal is $100 for this light, not $1000 :stuck_out_tongue:

Wennn, welcome to BLF!
And what a first post you made
Though I cannot see the images it ia clear what they show
It is understood that a reflector has some downsides as the single lens setup of most zoomies has that too. However the GT will not have a hybrid system just the simpler way of 1 reflector

A double lensed or collimator lens /reflector hybrid or dual lens setup sounds really interesting and I have this plan in the back of my mind to do a project with it later down the path (using the first design of Fritz but a bit smaller then a 130mm wide head)
First the Q8 GT and possible Q4 if the Q8 is going great and is done though :wink:

Whelp, didnt think about how the hemispherical bit would affect output this way. Finally understand why there are two kinds of graphs being thrown around for the spatial distribution of light from an LED.

Well, thanks for the explanation, time to make my way through the 80+ pages of this thread I skipped :smiley:

Haha no problem :slight_smile:
Took me a while to understand it too since manufacturers always give the 2d graph in their datasheets.

Is there going to be 2 buttons? I really hope so cause I can’t do the half/whole/long press UI system. :frowning:

First post says undecided. Sorry if it’s been answered.

Right now 1 e switch
Narsil (the software) is very clever and offers lots of smart features (as a software lock out) and low parasitic drain. A tail clicker is not needed when Narsil is used :wink:

If you aren’t familiar with Narsil, you should check out this post in the thread about the BLF Q8, another brainchild of TheMiller that will use this awesome UI developed by TomE.

TomE has a couple of videos demo’ing Narsil as well.

I’m not sure it will behave exactly as it does for the Q8, but I assume most information will apply.

You might as well get on the list for the Q8 while you’re over there reading! :smiley:

Put me down for 1. Thanks!

Miller, I consider you a friend and mean no disrespect but I fear I may scream and wake the kids if I hear one more time that a tail switch is “not needed” or “not necessary”.

If you choose not to make the GT with a tail switch then so be it, but what is needed or necessary in a light at this level is opinion…not fact.

I don’t even have a light with Narsil yet but I’ve read a lot about it and it sounds absolutely awesome. Based on everything I’ve read, I totally agree with this:

Yet, I respectfully disagree that there is “no need for a tail switch”. I have several lights of side switch only design and several that have dual switches. Regardless of manufacturer or UI, I have yet to find a side switch only light that I can do more than just tolerate and none of them are in my rotation of regularly used lights. That includes the few Convoy side switch only lights I have. Will Narsil change my mind? It certainly seems to have the best chance of any UI I’ve ever read about but I simply can’t ignore my love for the practicality and beautiful marriage of form and function that the dual switch setup brings to the table. Tail-switch lockout is awesome. This of course is just my opinion and I don’t mean to imply that it is more than opinion.

It’s been a rough week so that may be tempering my temperament but this (BLF) is the place to express our strong flashlight feelings right? :zipper_mouth_face: K, I’m done now…

Put me down for 1 if can hit that $100 mark or perhaps under. :+1: