[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Well i dont have a real thrower yet, put me down for one.

Well, I just introduced myself in the introduction forum. So time for my 2nd post on BLF:
Please sign me up for one BLF GT!

Hopefully your first post was signing up for a Q8 :smiley:

Hmm J-Dub74 I know what you mean buddy.
It is indeed an opinion.
And somewhere in the early phase of the GT bootup there were people stressing to get a tail clicker

Facts:
Narsil has extremely low parasitic drain
We strive for a very low price for this kind of monster
No tail clicker means machining a tail with threading, assemble an oring and screw it on
A tail clicker means machining more on the tailcap, assemble booth, switch, PCB, spring, ring, do adds parts and time thus costs

Will update the list later!

When using a driver with narsil there is really no ‘need’ for a tailswitch.
With that I mean, that narsil is (also) optimized for e-switch only operation and has a very low parasitic drain. It can use a dual switch design but the only advantage is that it allows for a total lockout.

But, lets forget the above.

Do you have a L6? (of course you do, right? :smiley: )
I love that the L6 has a dual switch setup, you can hold it using the ‘cigar’ grip and switch the light on and off.
And that is the problem, that is just not possible with the GT. The GT is way too big and heavy to hold it in one hand using the ‘cigar’ grip. If there would be a tail switch you would need 2 hands to operate it.

The only advantage I see for a tail switch is that you can do a lockout. Though that is useful it’s not really needed with narsil.
(my 0.02€)

So absolutely no chance of an accidental turn on by the e-switch, with 8 High amp High drain batteries in it, correct? :smiley: :+1:

It has software lock-out, which is actually better than just “turning it off” with a tail switch, as far as accidental activation is concerned. So, we’re still left with the only advantage for a tail clicky being a complete cut-off of power. Usually, that’s significant. But Narsil even makes that unnecessary, since the parasitic drain is so low that even the cell’s internal self discharge is higher.

Not in your pocket :wink: :smiley:

Of course when not using a hard lockout, like a partially unscrewed tailcap or tube, there is always a chance of accidental turn on. That is the same with every other flashlight on the market that uses a side switch or tail switch, electronic or mechanical.
Because this light is going to be big and heavy there is not really a likely scenario where the light could be accidentally turned on. When storing or transporting this light the battery’s should be removed (as usual).

I’m not saying that we definitely wont be doing a tailswitch, I’m just expressing my opinion.
Well said David.
:beer: :beer:

Excellent point KB. As far as I personally am concerned it only makes sense to have an on/off tail switch, if for no other reason than safety.
To me it is akin to having a “battery disconnect switch” in a high output vehicle or a boat. It is always a good idea. :+1:

Hardly any chance of accidental turn on (oops typo edited from off to on :wink: )
1 lock out via a press sequence not imitated by bumps in bag
2 if not locked out and the button is pressed for if I remember correct 10 seconds it will turn of with lock out enabled

So those not doing a software lockout or slight unscrew AND have it in a bag AND the switch gets pressed will have 10 second light in the bag and will find it locked out when taking it out.

As if a tail switch cannot be accidentally be pressed :wink:

This whole issue could be solved by using a reverse clicky switch in stead of a momentary switch located in the base of the head.

Good point also The Miller. :+1: Although in my experience a tail switch requires a much firmer press than an electronic switch to activate. :slight_smile:

Could someone who understands ‘Narsil’ explain in detail how it works or provide a link to a correct place to read about it?

Maybe we need a ‘Poll’ to address having a tail switch or not. Just a thought…… :slight_smile:

I thought Narsil also works with a clicky switch to change modes, so let’s put the (reverse) clicky where the momentary switch is planned, everybody happy.

@ The Miller: I see your point about cost. Everything adds to cost and when aiming for $100 with this caliber of a light…or should I say Excalibur of a light. :smiley: :+1: every penny matters. Thank you for acknowledging my rant. I actually feel better after a good nights sleep. I’ve said my piece and that’s all I wanted to do. I’m excited to hear you have a manufacturer interested or at least mulling it over.

@ thijsco19: Thank you for your response too. Narsil sounds absolutely fantastic. Will I ever completely trust an e-switch only light? Probably not, but that’s just me and if any light is going to change my mind it will probably be this one…or the Q8. Time will tell. I’m still very much looking forward to both lights. This L6 you’re talking about sounds interesting. I’ll have to check that out. :wink:

@ KawiBoy1428: :smiley: :+1: Too funny dude.

@ thijsco19: “Not in your pocket” :smiley: Great comeback!

Convoy will eventually have a big headed XHP35-HI thrower too and that of course is where I get to bring all of my wishes to light. Ha! I crack me up. :smiley:
First thing is finding our big reflector source. That’s something we’ve been working on for a while as anyone who’s followed the L2 and L6 progression is aware of. The bigger the reflector the higher rate of defects. It’s troublesome but Simon is diligently exploring options and searching for solutions. By the time we get there we’ll probably looking to the GT as the light to try to compete with. :slight_smile: :beer: :beer: :beer:

OH MY GOSH PLEASE NO MORE POLLS! :person_facepalming:

Post 2 or 3 of the Q8 thread is about Narsil, all info can be found there.

You must be joking!!
Are there already plans for it? Sounds awesome and can’t whait what Simon will make! It’s definitely going to be nice quality and good looking light.

Agreed, no reason for another poll.

:person_facepalming: Shaking the bush Boss, just shaking the Bush! :smiley: :+1:

What I thought everyone just loved a good “Poll”. :stuck_out_tongue: … :person_facepalming: … :wink:

“Polls R’ Us” ya’ know……… :wink:

Thank you sir!!! :+1:
There is so much to keep up with, my “semi-oldish” brain has trouble remembering where it all is. :wink:
I appreciate the road map to where the info is. :slight_smile: