[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Cool, thanks!

Yes, please do post it. Not necessarily for “scrutiny” though, rather just so the interested can read it & know what is being said. :+1:

Please add me as interested.

count me in

Will update list later

You might want to edit the email out, when time comes I will send PMS via BLF :wink:

Will do thanks. Looking forward to this light

Interested. Add me to the list please

please add me to the list too

I’m interested too, looks like a great light!

This GT is a beaut. Special thanks to all involved. Stay the course.

Has there been much discussion of battery safety yet?

What is the anticipated serial/parallel configuration of the BLF GT? In my reading of the OP, I did not see it. Hope I did not overlook it.

The GT does not exactly fall into hover-board or e-bike territory, but with 8 cells there is still plenty to be worried about. I wonder whether some sort of BMS (battery management system) might not be appropriate. Frankly, with 8 cells, my preference would be for in-light recharging, with a full BMS.

A couple of years ago, I read at CPF about a custom-made flashlight that used eight 18650 cells. After the modder sold it, the buyer may have loaded it with unbalanced cells. In any event, it exploded. Fortunately, there were no injuries. Trusting that 500 or 1000 buyers of the GT will never make a similar mistake may ask too much.

If I were a manufacturer, I would think long and hard before delivering an 8-cell Li-ion flashlight that did not include some sort of BMS.

Add me to this list too please.

It is 4 or 8 cells in two parallel wired carriers.
We all have learned as kids the - goes at the spring.
And since the carriers come out it should be very clear how cells are loaded.

Internal charging done right not only adds lots of parts and complexity, it also means higher costs.

Add 1 for me please, thank you.

INterested in this one too.

Thanks, Miller.

So, if we assume an 8-battery configuration, that means that the overall arrangement would be 2p(4s) when each carrier is wired to put 4 batteries in series. I guess it would be 2p(2p2s) = 4p(2s) when each carrier is wired 2p2s. Has a decision been made as to how each carrier is to be wired?

Regarding cost, you are certainly correct that expenses go up if you include in-light recharging. For one such as myself, however, who believes that an 8-battery setup requires some sort of BMS whether or not in-light recharging is possible, it may make sense to include it. The marginal cost of adding recharging circuits to a preexisting BMS may not be very high. On the other hand, for a person who does not think this 8-cell project needs any battery protections, the marginal cost of adding a recharging circuit will be more significant.

The 12V led and driver TA and DEL are working on should be fed with 12-16,8V thus 4 cells in series.

I do remember a lot of issues when a good brand did in light charging for multiple cells

BMS sounds complex and expensive
I kind of hope the manufacturer that is going to makr the GT will make a version with 12V cell pack using such system so they can sell a very nice light to fireman, law enforcement, military, rescue personal, farmers and what not.

Also our driver is not regulated, that too would add costs.

So we BLF get a low priced kind of hotrod thrower.
After that non flashoholics can buy a regulated safer but twice or triple the priced light so manufacturer also has an excuse to ask much more since it is much more expensive to make.

Tally ho!

Text we are working on to email to manufacturer:

Nice letter.

I recommend writing a shorter cover letter that describes the project in a general way, and then adding a "details" sheet as an attachment. BLF bona fides should be part of the cover letter.

Needless to say, these are just my reactions to what is already a pretty good letter.