[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Interesting location. When I was reading of it I was thinking it was at a LaGrange location but no it’s something much different from what I gather. No wonder planes weren’t flying.

Re: the well, yes we were tickled with it. One never knows if it’ll just be a hole in the ground or actually usable. Dry holes are rare in Maine because the granite is all cracked from having miles of ice melt and the rock rebound back, but that sort of delivery made us very happy. We’ve gone through quite a few droughts since it was drilled and it’s never run dry. The well driller was on his last piece of pipe on the truck when he struck the vein with about 5’ left to go. The well is 285’ deep and water came up to 35’ down. Our pump is 100’ down and we’ve never needed to lower it more. I have no idea how much reserve we have, only that we’ve never needed more and I’ve run the pump for hour after hour to water the lawn. I just can’t bring the level down.

Now the gent at the top of the hill has a well over 600’ deep and no water to speak of unless fracking fixed it. I pumped drinking water for him all last summer in the drought. A well like that (dry) in Maine is very rare. Lucky him.

Yeah Brian, the typical fixed wing passenger plane will most likely not be flying to TK’s location any time soon…… no matter what the temperature. :wink:

As far as the your well goes…. Reading about it took me back to when I first lived and worked in west central Alabama.
There was a place I used to hunt in the Southern District of Talladega National Forrest where I ran across a flowing artesian well. A 6 inch pipe stuck up out of the ground about 4 feet and depending on time of year the water would shoot up between 1 & 3 feet. I never saw it dry.
The amount of water that came from that 6 inch pipe…… 24 x 7 x 365 was utterly amazing to me!!! :open_mouth:
It just ran down a gentle slope through some rocks into Big Sandy Creek about 50 or so yards away.

A couple of years later I met & worked with a guy who it turned out was from the are the well was at… (close to Duncanville, AL.). I asked him about it, this would have been back in the mid 1980’s; and he said he had never seen it dry. His Dad had told him the pipe was set in the late 1920’s and he had never seen it dry either. He said back then people from all around the local area came to it for their drinking water.

Your description of how your water tasted made me think of that…. thanks. :beer: …… (I may even take a road trip to see if it is still flowing and get some if it is…. :smiley: … I am somewhat inspired. :wink: )

It sounds like you indeed hit a good vein. 250’ feet of water in the bore hole is fantastic…. as is the fact you can’t seem to lower it. You should have water for quite a while. :wink:

Yep, it does sound like luck was defiantly not on you neighbors side when he drilled his well. :frowning:
Good for him you don’t mind sharing. :+1: … :beer:

Haha, go ahead and look up those coordinates. The air is just a tad bit thinner here. :smiley:

Even a moon goddess needs a summer home.

Keep up TK…… :smiley: … we already know you are in quasi earth orbit. :wink: (I hope that is the correct term??? :person_facepalming: … :wink: )

Can I please be added to the list? Thanks.

Welcome to BLF!
Will update list later :wink:

This talk of wells and pipes makes me want to go explore bottomless pits with the BLF GT, to find out if they’re really bottomless and if there are dwarves or orcs down there. It could be a lot of fun to bring on a spelunking trip.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. What paper mill did you work in? I have done work in a few around Maine in the summer time. It can be down right miserable. Also worked in a few trash burners. You dont know heat and humidity until you go to the top levels of a power plant that uses boilers… Paper mills included

I hear ya’ Brian… sounds like you have some experience with extreme heat & humidity also. Seems too, the older I get the less I like coping with it. :wink: But hey, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Years ago I did spend a couple of summers in Wyoming & mostly Colorado. Most of the time was in the high country.
I do remember it being hot, very hot some days in fact by the thermometer reading…. but I really did not sweat much.
On trip # one I asked someone about it & they said it was because of the low humidity…. but be sure to stay hydrated.
I remember it being a very different heat from the sweltering Alabama heat & humidity I had left behind…… Not near as uncomfortable to me in fact, compared to what I was used to.

Sounds like a plan… count me in. :wink:

EDIT:
Oh yeah, if this plan gets off the ground; I’ll come by and pick you up…… if I can figure out how to get there. :open_mouth:
Once I’m there however, you should not be to hard to find on a 40 to 100 meter rock. :smiley:

Pulsar, now it’s SAPPI in Skowhegan, awhile back it was SD Warren. It was a nice place to work when it was SD Warren, still hot as hades, but nice. Now that it’s SAPPI it’s totally hades. I started in the boiler house. 13 floors of pure hell in the summer. Back then it had a recovery boiler and a biomass boiler. Both are extremely hot and insulation only does so much. I’m so happy to be 10 years retired.

For those who don’t know what it takes to make toilet paper (paper making 101 abbreviated version)… molten salt was collected at the bottom of the recovery boiler, hence the name. It was recovered and reused in the process. Round and round it goes. The fuel for the recovery boiler? The lignin eaten by the extremely basic hydroxide (white liquor) that left the cellulose behind for paper making. The resulting brown liquor (liquid) loaded with lignin, got injected into the boiler, the water evaporated before it hit the pool of salt a floor below and the lignin burned creating the heat to run the boiler and in fact the entire cellulose making process that is required to mass produce paper for magazines and wiping bottoms. The salts at the bottom of the boiler would get recycled endlessly. The mill processed thousands of tons of wood chips daily producing thousands of tons of pulp fiber to be turned into paper. That was the pulp fiber side. Our paper mill side made (still makes) high grade paper for Elle Magazine and others that would be recognized if I could recall the names. But the pulp fiber produced can be used for any paper product to include TP. Paper making didn’t consume all of the pulp that the pulp side produced.

There is so much I’m not including, from the tree length logs that come in (worked there for 2 months) and broken down into chips, to entering the pulp mill where they get chemically broken down, to the final processes of pulp shipping, paper making, and waste treatment where the effluent is processed to make it safe to discharge. When I worked in waste treatment we processed over 20 million gallons of water per day; it’s much higher today. Some of it was even human waste; what 1000+ people generated every given day. All of it to make paper. Thank the Egyptians and papyrus. :slight_smile:

Worked there a few times. Rebuild the debarker drums twice I think, worked up in the precip I think it was, was repairing cracked tubes. Think it was some sort of dust collector or something to do with emissions? worked up in the lime silo. Worked on some conveyor that did some sort of lime slurry I think, all I remember on that one was the stupid foreman we had decided it wasnt needed to clear the conveyor before shutting it down for repair. The lime slurry (I think) got as hard as cement and made the whole process of taking out the old drag chains to put new ones in a few days later near impossible. Did a few other odds and ends there too, just cant remember any specifics really

So what do you do with the Bamboo? I consider it a weed where I live, a bit like Ivy.

Here too. I think the birds must have brought it in here. Popped up under my back porch a couple years ago, and no matter how much uprooting and cutting down it just keeps coming

heheh with its 12-14 meter stalks evergreen it does:
block view to a road
block view to us from the road and other river bank
block sounds from the road
a triangle of 300m2 is home for our 2 chickens, protecting them from birds of prey above and the rhizomes make it impossible for foxes to dig under the fence
I use it as material for several things (2 open side buildings now are closed making it all look much more tidy and nice)
we give a lot away to people with vegetable gardens for beans and tomatoes

The mill streams with hard stony bedding insures it does not spread further

and we touched 200K liter just now, the hose is running at the center of the bamboo island and I made a few shallow trenches to get as much wet as possible.
pumping half of the river now, water dropping fast, need to get a better distrbution going, trip to hardware store planned for I want to use our pipes runnng to several parts of the garden and tubes to the fruit island, so splitting the one big tube into 5 small hoses, much easier to relocate

No news on the GT but June is not over yet :wink:

What diameter does it grow to?

hmm IDK 70mm? Too bg to enclose with my hand on some, I cut 10% of all I barely or not enclose with my hand each year

Sounds like you have a pretty interesting plot of land around you.

I’m not sure what the land is made of though. :slight_smile:

yeah, flashlights sure come in handy :wink: