[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

What is the length that you believe this light would be?

I don’t remember 5AR saying what the finished dimensions are. He would be the best one to ask since he has those already from the CAD drawing.

I am guessing around ~250mm long though.

Cheers David

+3

That sounds great.

But compared to the Thrunite TN42 vs TN40 that would mean that we only get the half of Lux as possible if we use in both options XHP35 HI’s.
XHP35 HI and XP-L HI has a similar brightness per mm² Die. That means the relation between TN42 and TN40 are similar on this project.
But if the single-emitter option uses XHP50 or XHP70, we dont would lose so many potential lux compared to a quad XHP35 HI flashlight.

I would say 320mm - 350mm. But lets wait …

8S1P ?
Why would you need 24 - 35 Volts?

The XHP50 or 70 would loose a lot of throw over the XHP35 or XP-L HI due to the much larger die surface. They could be used as a mod for a floodier setup but will not be used in the production light.

For the production model the choice is basically between the XHP35 or the XP-L HI (or possibly a de-deomed XP-L).

In an XP-L2 HI becomes available then that might become the emitter of choice.

As things stand right now, I am still very much in favor of XHP35’s as the production emitter setup.

the quad setup is something I would love to see happen but something to address later after we get the main light finished. Once we have this version perfected it would be pretty simple to swap the reflectors out for a quad setup with few other changes needed.

4S4P BOOM!
LOL

5ar has this ic of dimensions:

Who said 8S? It could be setup for anything from 2S to 8S. The plan at the start was 4S2P to work with an XHP35 emitter.

I knew I had seen a dimension somewhere but didn’t remember reading it lol.

So 320mm, yeah that sounds about right with the driver pocket, shelf and tailcap which I forgot to take into account.

Man, everytime I see a picture of the GT I want to order it, it just looks so good and “manly”.

Okay, sorry, thanks.

About XPH35 versus XP-L HI:
Correct me if i’m wrong, but an XPH35 is only about twice the power (around 25 Watts iirc) of an XP-L, but the die is more than twice the size (i don’t know the numbers).
So how then can a XPH35 outthrow an XP-L?

Anyway, i’ll make some more drawings later.
It’s good to visualize stuff.

The XHP35 has almost exactly twice the die size of an XP-l and also has almost twice the lumens.

The outcome is that it puts out almost the same amount of throw (slightly less) with almost twice the lumens.

All the monster throwers in production use the XHP35. I am going to say they use it for a reason. If nothing else there is a limit to how far you can throw X lumens of light and by having twice the lumens it gives you more raw power to work with. The same way the L6 throws by shear power.

Also the XHP35 will have a hot spot about twice the size (but about the same intensity) of the XP-L which is far more usable in the real world, particularly for S&R.

Based on an earlier version of 5ar I hacked away to get a more Q8 like design

Yet all those fins would add weight
Still would love the ring with cut outs to be more inline with the cutouts of the Q8 and not the L6, but hey I am not capable of drawing it any better :wink:

+4 !!!

First one is too expensive and fragile. Second one should be the best. And the third one is what everyone expected from the TN42, but got half of it.

removed cooling fin

switch side compare

for me the first version looks better, what do you think???

About XPH35 versus XP-L HI:
Correct me if i’m wrong, but an XPH35 is only about twice the power (around 25 Watts iirc) of an XP-L, but the die is more than twice the size (i don’t know the numbers).
So how then can a XPH35 outthrow an XP-L?

It won’t.
Put an XP-L HI in a TN42, add a suitable driver and you will have more throw than the original light, just a lost less output.

However……if thie GIGA thrower will have these big dimensions I feel a XP-L size die is just oo small and the spill would be too.
So, just my 2 cents, way to go is XHP35 HI.

I still would prefer the option to have a 2-pive batt. tube so I can choose whethet I’m going to use 4 or 8 cells.
Playtime = 4 cells. More the enuf. :slight_smile: for me.

But in the end: whatever comes out, I’m in :heart_eyes:

BTW: the dimensions/head diameters of the TN42 and proposed BLF GIG in post 668 seem a bit off: TN42 = 1- cm diameter, BLG GIGA = 13.
In the rendering the TN42 looks much smaller / or the BLG GIga looks too big??

Grtz
Nico

This illustrates my point (admittedly I had seen this ahead of time, I should have posted the picture earlier), I think the shorter tubes looks silly and the balance issues are glaringly apparent.

Although the more I think about it the new cell carrier is not all that hard to do. The existing tailcap Q8 PCB should basically work with some resizing and then the only real issue is the actual contact ring on the cell carriers. Plain aluminum could work but it is not the most reliable connection. A nickle/brass ring is an option but adds cost.

Yeah I agree, XHP35 is the way to go to get a similar throw to XP-L but higher lumens+bigger spot.

It seems like a lot of people do want to have the option of a shortened tube, so I do recommend you just make or source 4 cell battery holders with both + and - on each end.
It should be really easy to build the light for these since SRK drivers have the two rings on the bottom which would work great, and you just need to put an insulator on the tailcap to prevent shorting the last holder.
Anyone concerned about weight distribution when using more/less than 2 sections can just use a shoulder strap.