[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

It’s not gonna be a quad. Is it?

Apparently it will be a completely new light either way, so i fail to see your point here.

I honestly wonder if 65 x 65 mm or 70 mm (with flattened sides) would be a problematic size.
A can of Coke is 66 mm in diameter.
Sure, it’s not that heavy, but a can doesn’t have knurdling either.

Not that big a difference.

4 x Liitokala versus 8 X Panasonic.
It’s approximately the same price per mAh.

With 4 batteries you wouldn’t need a battery carrier, let alone 2.
The light wouldn’t have to be long / tall.
It would look better with a short fat tube.
The thing will be lighter weight too.

O well, TA, at least we agree on the XPH35 and the 120mm diameter reflector. :smiley:

But i’ve been looking at the TN 42 and TN 40, and they look swell, very nice form factor.

Now that’s an idea……
I keep hearing people chiming in about balance with a short tube. I could care less about balance vs a short tube. I’m not trying to hit a bullseye.
I would want the option/choice to use a short tube if I want.

Modular tube and stackable battery cells shouldn’t add a lot of cost, making a customizeable light is good.
The only thing I see a bit complicated is the battery cells with both contacts on each end, but that’s just two PCBs and a few wires.

No, the light is going to be a single massive reflector, I would simply like to look at the possibility of making a quad version after this is done.

4x 26650 while it can technically be held in large hands is not a practical option for most people and we would then need a handle. The larger the size the harder it is to hold something long term and as a search and rescue torch it would start straining the hand very quickly weighing over 2lb!

It is the same way that a thicker barbell is harder to deadlift then a thinner one (within reason of course), even a very small change in barbell size can have large effects on the total amount of weight and particularly reps you can do.

I think that 26650 is better saved for another project, plus the Boss1 is already available that is not far off from these sizes.

I think this is the way things are heading at this point based on general feedback. Not a large change really, just not as clean as a single tube.

Hah! This is not wood pal! :money_mouth_face:

It will be melted and recycled and put into something else. 0% of milled aluminium is wasted, don’t worry. That is why these things are cheap. Aluminium is soft and does not dull the bits, and it is extremely recyclable. It’s win-win design. And 70-100$ is plenty money.

I made some more drawings (or rather i manipulated 5ar’s renderings):

Hope you like it.

This is with 4x 26650

It looks good, so basically the battery tube is the same size as the Bezel on the L6.

I just tried picking up my L6 by the bezel, I have big hands (could palm a basketball in my younger days) and while I can physically pick it up, I can not hold on to it very well and would not be able to hold it for an extended time for sure, particularly if it weighed twice as much.

Someone with normal or smaller hands would not be able to hold this for long at all. It would most assuredly need a handle in which case we would be far better off going with the box layout as it would be more balanced and offer even better performance.

4x 26650 is just not practical to hold as a hand held light without a handle. If we add a handle we are simply building a slightly larger boss1.

LOL…I’m liking all three!! Beautiful projects. Nothing to add until LED choice(s) verified. Now that’s what I call diversity…still lol

Yes, i think so too.
I gonna try to copy some knurdling from the left one onto it, but that’ll take some more time, i wanted to share this right away.

Basically, yes. L6 bezel is 75mm to be exact.
The battery tube diameter would be slightly smaller, but not much, because LiitoKala 26650 have to fit too, and they’re rather fat, like almost 28 mm iirc.
But, we could flatten the 4 sides like on the Q8 and have that section be 62 x 62 mm or something like that.
None the less, yes it would be a fat bastard. :smiley:

I personally still say that 18650’s are the way to go, if we are going to go with 26650 then we should also go with the box shape light, it would be FAR more practical and usable.

Although honestly I am at a bit of a loss why we would want 26650’s in the first place? What can they do in this case that 18650’s can not?

Good points. 26650s would cause dimension issues with a tube light this huge. The only practical way would be a 26650 4S tube - which would be way too thin for the head size.

Yeah I agree, 18650 is what people have most of too.

Maybe in the future build a 26650 light, it seems like recently people are wanting to switch to 26650 for higher capacity.
Lights with single-26650 diameter bodies are the perfect size to hold too imo, single 18650 is a bit too skinny.

Doing multiple 26650s beside eachother (even just 3) will 100% require a handle and pretty much entire new body design.
I would love a flashlight like this one though, would even pay a few hundred if it was LED:

Unfortunately it is HID, and costs $500 :C
I suggest maybe consider something like this for a future light, but for now just focus on the design you already have which the majority voted on.

But that’s ugly.

Keep it short basically. :slight_smile:
For the rest there is little advantage i.m.o.

I must have missed that.

Yeah I think there was a poll about plunger vs box or something like that, which I missed because I only joined a few days ago. lol

I just hope it will be manufactured, sold and shipped by some Asian company with the shipping for free. Can not imagine getting this monster shipped to Europe from the USA, that would cost way too much money

I don’t like a box design either.

But don’t get me wrong, i think the “fat bastard” is really fat too.
But i think we can all manage a ‘slightly bigger Coke can’ size, especially with flat bits and knurling.
‘In the field’ a carrying strap is an obvious addition either way.

Maybe i’m just a sucker for aesthetics…
But with 4 cells it’s simpler too.
And no extra contacts (unlike with battery carriers).

Does box design mean like straight cylinder or does it mean a literal box like the maxabeam?
Personally I’ve really started to like the “cylinder” or “can” type lights with a handle, idk why.

I disagree, I think that the CAD by 5AR looks amazing and has a great balance both visually and physically. In fact I think it is one of the sexiest flashlights I have seen in a long long time.

Although everyone has their own opinion of course.