[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

That only works with actual cell carriers, not built-in SRK style.

So, if one cell carrier is giving 12v, stacking two carriers would be 24v. I know you are very early in the process, but has any thought been given to this? Would switching require modding a battery carrier? Or are you talking about a single 8-cell 4S2P carrier?

If you read over the last page or 2 that was discussed a fair amount :wink:

We are using real cell carriers with this light for sure.

I am also thinking that setting them up to stack in parallel is the best idea, thus allowing them to run as many stacked as they want without effecting final voltage.

You expect me to read? RIDICULOUS

So that would involve making the carriers without polarity, no body contact. Sounds good.

You get 1.56x if you take 2.5^2 and divide it by 2^2, but the die that is 2mmx2mm is the XM-L2.
IIRC the XP-L (HI) is smaller than that, between the XP-G2 and XM-L2.
Either way, it’s about 2x size and 2x lumens so nobody should be disappointed by the throw.

XHP70 is four 2x2mm dies, total side length 4.2mm (measured it myself). Definitely not good for throw. with the huge die area and only 6k lumens.
If it was 8 or 10k then it would definitely match a XHP35 HI in terms of lumens/mm^2 which is what matters for throw :slight_smile:

LOL, I know the feeling. Yes, they would have 2 contact plates on each end, positive and ground. The ground could connect to the body come to think of it but it would be better to connect directly.

The XP-L and XM-L2 Use the same die.

Also if you note my earlier post I said exactly that:

I said that an XHP70 would be interesting, not that it would be better.

I’m going to find out what a de-domed XHP-35 HD E4 (top-bin) will do? Going to re-flow it on my TN42 board, once I work the nerve up, I meant when/if I get the time to do it this weekend? :smiley: Have a few other cool white HD’s de-deomed also. I have LD-2 M2’s set up for 2.5 to 3amps and a couple Acebeam K70 4S battery carrier’s that fit the TN42 perfectly, been dying to see what a Maxed out XHP35 can do in it!

Oh, I guess I was mistaken, sorry.

Also, I was just saying that my dedomed XHP70 isn’t as impressive as I expected it to be.

Dale has had the dedomed xhp35 up to 2900 lumens IIRC, or maybe that was with the dome on.

The XHP70 is an impressive LED but it is not a thrower for sure. The L6 is amazing and even throws ~500m with a resistor but an L2 with it’s smaller reflector throws 750m with an XP-L hi.

In a reflector this large it is possible the XHP70 could still throw ~1000m but with 3x the lumens of a normal thrower. It would be interesting to say the least.

Some ideas with the battery-carryer and Tailcap-Switch vs Lockout. The battery-carryers would be connected in parrallel.

Tailcap-Switch and no “power” in the battery-tube:
If the battery carryer has* 3 contact-points* on both sides, all in parallel, we can use the switch to connect the middle ring (with battery - ) and the outer ring (for driver - ) of the carryer. And the middle ring/spring will be used for + of cause.
That means the Tailcap with switch will use the outer ring and the middle ring. And the driver will contact the middle spring and the outer ring.

With switch and body/batterytube for connecting battery- to the driver
Only use the inner contact-spring for battery + and the middle ring for battery . Switch will make contact of battery to the body and driver.

But at least my favorit is a flashlight without tailcap-switch but with battery-tube-lockout.
Battery + cames from the carryer and battery - from the carryer over a tailcap-contact to the body/battery-tube and to the head if locked-in.

It would be cheap if we would get a middle-part of the head only with the LED and with a contact area to connect to the driver. With FET-Driver we can use the same driver for XHP35 over XHP50@12V to XHP70@12V.
The Reflector was already discussed to be fixed in the head and with adjustable focus.
This middle-part could be used as optional empty “drop-in”.

If this design would be too complex, it would be fine to buy a driver-switch-LED-part as “drop-in”. This part can easyly be changed to get a more floody and less throwy flashlight.

The most expensive part would be the reflector I think. And with such “drop-ins” eighter only with the LED or with driver, switch and LED, we could have manny different flashlights with only little additional costs.

That is a good idea for the tailcap switch. I have not really thought out how to do that. The only issue will be cost but it should not be much more then a normal cell carrier and should give us a good design for future lights as well.

Making any kind of “drop in” would need at least $25 worth of parts and completely disassembling the light. It would not be worth selling these for the handful of people that would buy them I am afraid.

Please remove me from the interest list.
This is fast getting way to complicated/big/expensive for me - sorry. Also I would not be confident putting leds in/centering etc, in short knowing my luck, it would never ever work lol!
Basically I’d thought this was going to be an ‘out of the box’ working flashlight.
I personally think this is going to end up more in the $150 $200 range and getting done it for $100 is well, a bit of a stretch but that’s only my opinion.
Good luck with the development and apologies once again for wasting anyone’s time.

People keep thinking that the things we are talking about will add a lot of cost, why is this? A longer battery tube is a matter of a few dollars at most in extra cost, including the extra cell carrier (although this was the plan from the very first post anyways, so I don’t know why people think this is somehow costing extra?)

Also this WILL be the ultimate thrower flashlight out of the box, why do you think it won’t? Just because something has the ability to be highly modded doesn’t make it any less in stock form.

Lastly the price point goal is still $100, I have see nothing so far to say that will need to be raised.

That is why I am emphasizing in almost every post that the price is the absolute main priority and goal, and performance right after that. The number of sold items will drastically fall with every single dollar above 70$. That is some psychological boundary for many people that makes stuff expensive.

KISS. :slight_smile:

No no we most surely go for a working light for less then $101,- :wink:

A scaled down Q8 would be a quad parallel AA sized light (Q4/Q5) and if a bigger one using 26650 cells can be thought up (Q10) that too would be quad cells parallel.
The Q4 is surely something I’d like to pursue because it needs a driver capable of running Narsil but also AA and 14500 cells, and that is a huge challenge so something for a different project but yeah.
This GT is something else hence a different name.

Good technical input

I do think LED choice is important now BUT there is a really cool nice flow in this project and having options open surely gives more space for brainstorming!

Or change the + and - contact of all options to be campatible to the Q8. That means inner contact-spring for battery~~, middle contact-ring für battery+ and the outer ring for driver~~.

One thing I didn’t considered are the connections between the two ends of the battery carryer. For 4S we need 3 connections and with 3 parrallel contact-points/rings on both sides we need additional 3 more connections.
But a classic battery-carryer with 4 batterys has only 5 connections and not 6 of them.

Edit:

And all europeans are hoping, the exchang rate to Dollar would make the flashlight cheaper till it is finished.

So, to be clear it will come ‘working out of the box’ - I won’t have to do anything to it? if that is the case then maybe I got the wrong idea?
Ok Texas Ace if that is the case and you are confident on the $100 price mark, you better not remove me……… :person_facepalming:
I must just say though why I think pricing is going to be higher - that head has to be made out of a HUGE chunk of ally, 95% of which will go straight in the swarf bin - someone will have to pay for that waste.

The outside ring would be ground, the middle ring would be the battery + and the inner ring would be the switched +. Thus allowing it to easily use the Q8 driver or an LDO TA driver.

Yes, this light 100% will be working out of the box, not sure why anyone would think otherwise? It will be a highly moddable platform and may also have a host version sold but there will be a production version as well.

Price wise the goal price is $100. Ideally it would be less but that is the starting price point and we won’t know much more till we talk to a manufacture. For $100 it should be doable though for sure. Cheaper is possible but may need some sacrifices.