[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

No, it's smaller at the tail end , and no, we would not be making anything like the BOSS1 - ugly, poor quality, but it is the BOSS#1.

And I'm not suggesting anything, just relating my test results.

I am not saying to just outright compromise on “the best thrower ever”. I’m questioning if “Less spill is better” is objectively true or not. The light won’t disappear, you will either have a broad, dim spill, or you will have a bit narrower spill with a wider, brighter corona. I think reflection from dust/moisture in the air from the bright corona could be more detrimental to “spotting” ability than a wide, dim spill. The beam can be obscured in the cloudy halo of a bright corona.

From my own experiance I really like how super deep reflectors beams look, that said it would make this already huge light overly large for little gains IMHO.

Like has been said, a balanced reflector would be good. This will come down to cost if it is custom made I have a feeling.

i have an olight x7 super flooder
i will buy this thrower if the price is reasonable

Hi Miller, after an hour of searching, i finally found their direct factory outlet in Taobao: 淘宝网 - 淘!我喜欢
Why? because everything is cheaper in Taobao and i can always live chat with them which is easier than leaving msg in Alibaba.com.
If theres anything u wanted to ask, i can help you. Since i’m not clever enough to share/contribute anything here, at least i can help a little on this 1? :smiley:

Dale (DBCustom) is trying to buy one of those, you might talk to him and see if you can arrange that possibly.

Also you could ask if the reflectors could be purchased separately. They are too large for us to use but good to have an idea on cost.

If they can custom make a reflector to our size that would be very handy to know for sure.

Perhaps some measurements on the Boss reflector to show the depth vs diameter ratio?

Xandre, you wouldn’t be leaving anything out that you paid for… if it works out the way I think it will, the tube will be one piece and you would just have to decide how many cells to use. The advantage of run time is a critical one. The most likely scenario to have need of a mile+ throw is as a search light. In a search, time is everything. You don’t want your cells dying on you right before you would have saved the child. The parameter is a working light, a useful light, not a toy to play with off the apartment balcony pestering people in town. As with any high powered tool, some discretion is necessary, both in the legal sense and to aid our flashlight community to prevent hard feelings from outsiders. The idea is to draw people in, not turn them out.

With no need for the name calling on who is lining up to buy this light, the targeted $100 price tag is cheap. The TN42, the target competition, costs twice that (although deals can be found). If you can’t afford to pay, don’t come out to play. (I’ve heard that from my high school friends dad who owned an automotive store/machine shop. He’d also ask, “Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?”) I’ve also heard it said, of high end sports cars, if you have to ask about the gas mileage, you can’t afford the car. As with virtually all projects aimed at being the best, the target audience can sometimes be quite small.

Anytime a dummy set-up is used, the positive side should be in contact with the driver and the dummy should be in the tail end, carrying negative. Positive should never be run through the dummy, to much possibly for a short circuit. I’ve seen talk of using one set of cells at the rear for balance, this is a very bad idea and should not be considered. We have to remember that some of the people drawn to this light won’t be experienced users. As such, we can’t be recommending dangerous practices to people that don’t know the difference. Sure, sell a 1000HP dragster to a teenager. Who’s responsible when deaths occur? See what I mean? It’s the kind of reasoning that training is required before people get a handgun license, you want to have some sense that they know what they’re doing before going out in public with dangerous tools. Safety precautions are exponential to the power, let’s keep that in mind please so nobody get’s fried on our design or because of our recommendations.

When trying to see the illuminated spot of a long distance thrower, excessive spill in the foreground really wreaks havoc with the eyes. Less spill is definitely better for a thrower. I like to have some spill to identify the area, but not so much that it’s blinding. At the end of the day it will likely fall to what is available in the specified size range, we may not get an optimized reflector and we may not hit our mark on distance, there’s just so many variables to scrap together… I believe we have the right people looking into it, if a really good effort can’t be made the idea will most likely be scrapped rather than bring an inferior product to market.

Yep, I do need to spend more time on the BOSS1, but here in O-L's review near the bottom of the OP is a good picture of the BOSS1 reflector: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/37800.

My BOSS1 plan is to swap in a dedomed XPL W2, decent FET+1 driver, 20 or 18 AWG wires, and tune in the focus so it can be saved, then take #'s and beamshots, still trying to figure out how to take beamshots though... Got a new tripod coming today, and plan on using my wife's Canon EOS digital Rebel that's a few years old, but should be better than my compact Lumix. Have a lot of learning to do though on the camera...

Based on the #'s I got on a dedomed FastTech XPL V6, I'd expect the lumens to be in the 1,800-1,900 range and in the low 700's of kcd, maybe hit 740-750, but we'll see, and measured at over 10 meters.

Alright T.A, i’ll try talk to them and update again.
Fyi, i can always buy and ship to my address, the only problem is shipping to US…

Looking at O-L’s review, it appears that the reflector is about 100 wide by 80 deep, something in that range. The spill is very dim, he complains that the spot is too large. I like the look of it myself, very defined hot spot with that soft spill that isn’t blinding.

I’m surprised that Justin didn’t quote measurements on the reflector. He wasn’t impressed with the light, the price was too high for what he saw as an average non-flashaholic spotlight.

Borrowed this beamshot from his review… :slight_smile:

I love how clean the spill is, no artifacts or rings! If we can achieve this, I’d be very happy with the GT!

If you were using dummy cells then this is true. In this case while performance would be best with the empty carrier at the back, it really doesn’t matter. The current will be passing through the same path it normally would.

Basically the current will skip the cells in the carrier and be carried by the metal rods/bod of the carrier to the driver. The same as it would if there were cells in the second carrier.

Basically it will have no effect on safety which carrier is empty as the flow of electricity is exactly the same with or without cells.

If you have a TK75 carrier it will be setup similar to that. With both positive and negative on both ends of the carrier.

Thanks for the kind words ,Dale.

But we spoken in another way.

I think it is better to use a MT G2 to avoid danger.
I am just joking.

I know my responsibility about Lux,but everone can buy it :wink:

The most of us are not in a rescue team,or anywhere else.

I think we are players and we want to look what is possible.

To use a dummy, OMG ,than better use the 8 batteries.

That is not a good point for me

Regards Xandre

Initial input was not of this design. I saw the TK75 style discussed (even recommended that myself) but didn’t see where it was accepted. Nonetheless, the safety issue real. Are you sure an empty carrier wouldn’t heat up carrying the load of a carrier above it? It’s plastic, with very thin brass rods carrying the ground current through, well, plastic. (I replace these thin brass rods with 18ga Turnigy wire in mine, but of course I’m not new to this.)

And they do indeed make a .46 , the Smith & Wesson .460. Reputed to be the finest hunting handgun cartridge available. Just sayin.

As I can see here the spot is rather small. Am I missing something?
Boss1 XPLHI

Courui D01 L2

I like flashlights to be as short as possible.

Short my SR 90,Led Lenser X 21.

In my opinion it looks better,but I shoot up my mouth,cause of the Smith & Wesson

Regards Xandre

Well, I said like the TK75, ours would be a bit better made for high power to say the least lol.

Also with 12V you don’t need much current, it will only be running ~3A or so, which is not all that much for it to carry. Once we get done with it, it will be fine.

That in unless we use a pre-made carrier but even if we did that with only 3 amps it should not have an issue, if it did then we would have it corrected. I want the light setup to handle an XHP70 on an FET driver if someone desires.

The BOSS1's head is 100 mm, so reflector diam is about 90 mm. Checked my notes from back in December, got all sorts of #'s, but no reflector dimensions...

My bad beamshot of the BOSS1:

It actually lit up that tree really well.

Here's a Modded Manker U21: dedomed XPL, ~240 kcd, ~1,700 lumens:

Ohhh - just talked to my drag strip racing friend @work - says he'll bring in tomorrow a mason jar of what he has, it's either VP C14 (not C14+) or VP C16.

I too wondered about safety if just the rear 4 cells were populated so I’m glad this is being taken into account. While I’d prefer to have all 8 populated, I do not personally own 8 matching cells, nor do I own an 8 bay charger. Anytime I’m running multiple cell lights I used matched cells purchased at the same time, same brand, same charger, charged at the same time, etc. That’s my only real concern about this light. I love everything about it but 8 cells freaks me out a tiny bit. That said, I love the design and of all the style examples thrown out there the 8 cell configuration looks the best to me by far. If I had to run it on 4 cells I would definitely want those 4 cells at the rear of the light for balance as long as it is safe to run it that way. I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread and all the ideas and theory being discussed. BLFantastic!

Oh and Dale…a .46 isn’t enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK funny real life thing
The last few weeks I hear some sort of animal on our big island.
We don’t have a bridge so we need to cross our bridge that starts at the neighboring field.

Yesterday neighbour Marie called, if we have sheep? No I tell her, she is worried a sheep is drowning that is what she is hearing.
So my wife and me go there and with Marie we went to check it out
Flashlight lovers dream, dark YAY
Thorfire S70 for Marie (easy to operate with that lit switch)
L6 for my wife.
I take the modded Courui and a Uniquefire 1401 for nice floody beam getting to the island
Fast cell check on the Courui, dang, 3,76V on the two Keeppowers so I load it with two freshly charged GA high drain 3500 cells.
Big mistake, every little rattle made it turn of, just not long enough.
We found nothing definitely not a sheep but I think a young deer (we see those running around sometimes and I have no idea how they sound, could be like a strange sheep right.
Man I wished to have my GTs at hand :wink:

So search is not only about finding a child, just anytime one wants to see far a GT comes in handy and well I love extra runtimes for sure.

Yeah J-Dub74, not planning on 8 cells settle for 4 GAs for this one.