[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

From the head down is an exact copy of the Q8 minus the tactical ring.

From the head up does have some L6 inspiration for sure.

Here’s a template which may be handy:

It’s 1250 x 1120 pixels, 10 pixels = 1 mm
Walls are 2.5 mm (more or less…)

The new Design looks good. The light seems to be sorter.

But please take care that the Switch isn’t too far away from the hand position. I mean I don’t want to leave the grip-position with one or more fingers to reach the Switch with my thumb.

Holy cow guys! I just not being here for two days and more than 400 new posts in this topic!! I can’t keep up with it! :+1: :person_facepalming:

Fatten your glass there miller just a little and I think we have itm

Finally, a new promising reflector prospect. You the man The Miller. This is great news and I meant to say so back when you posted it. Really hope this pans out because it will be a great solution for many of us that have hosts with damaged/lost reflectors. I have a couple plans that just need a custom reflector to pull off. Please tell us what company this is. They deserve all the business we can send their way.

Buzzing through the thread, I’ve seen some misinformation about parabolic reflectors. There ARE “standard parabolic formulas.” A parabola is a SPECIFIC geometric shape (a conic section) which is mathematically derived from several quadratic formulas, the simplest being y=x², the one most relevant for flashlight reflectors being Y²=4FX, with F being the focal length.

I’ve got this USA made electroformed beauty laying around. :slight_smile: Not a budget item tho. Haven’t made a host for it yet. It would take like… a CBT140 or something to do it justice.

Yeah, all parabolas are the exact same shape, just either zoomed in or out.
As you zoom in, the parabola looks shallower. As you zoom out, the parabola extends farther vertically.
So by changing the “scale” of the parabola (the multiple of X, which is 4 in your example), you can get different diameters and heights.
I specifically rearranged a variable parabola function so that you can pick the parabola based on width and height. Parabola - Height And Width Formula | Desmos
Everything you can make by changing the width and height sliders is a (section of) a true parabola.

I also made it cut off the bottom of the reflector since that part is always unused, which is why LED flashlights always end the reflector at the LED.
This part was the most difficult because depending on the size of the reflector the height of the focal point is different.
But I managed to make it so that the focal point is always at 0,0 :slight_smile:

Please add me to the interested list. I did not see this feature, but a lighted mode button like the Thorfire S70 has would be something which I would REALLY like to see on it.

Neat Enderman. Looks like the animation could use an adjustable focal length tho.

Inspiration aside I would disagree. Even taking into account the square-cut tube and tac ring - I find them completely different.
I think probably even more different once it’s made.
:beer:

Changing the focal length would basically make the reflector deeper or shallower (for a certain diameter), same as adjusting height currently does.
Pretty sure what people want (at least for this flashlight) is to choose a width and height of the reflector and have it immediately focused at the bottom where the LED goes, since the point of the light is maximum throw.
Or, when we find a reflector for the light, you can just set the width and height based on the spec and you get the shape/equation of the parabola that can be used for the renders or machining.

So basically instead of changing the focal length to change the height/diameter, you change the height and diameter and it sets the focal length for you :slight_smile: More convenient for this project.

Is the link quoted below what you are referring to ‘Hoop’??

Now this, is hilarious……. :beer:

Yes teacher, that is what I am used to seeing when I model parabolas. Chop off the bottom at the focal point; this is the focal plane. Cut off the top at the desired diameter. The height of the reflector at a given apex diameter (top opening) will be determined by the focal length; the shorter the focal length, the taller the reflector will be and the smaller its vertex. (bottom opening)

“so for a given diameter there is only one depth for pure throw. ”

The depth of the reflector at a given diameter is dependent on the focal length. You can have a short or tall parabolic reflector at any given diameter.

Good, I had saved that one and been playing with it. So when I read what you said I thought I’d ask.
Glad that was it. :+1:

EDIT: Thanks for your explanation above also. That helps me a lot as I try to understand all this about reflectors. :slight_smile:

Yeah this is true. you can have one diameter, but you can make the reflector as deep as you want, and the focal length will just keep getting longer.
That’s why there are infinite heights for a certain diameter and infinite diameters for a certain height.
Since we’re dealing with LEDs here all we need to worry about is the focal plane and not anything below it :slight_smile:
That’s why I suggested the renders need part of the reflector cut flat, the LED doesn’t go at the bottom of a parabola.

It is my understanding it is a actual manufacturer and this is the name:
深圳市博瑞精工科技有限公司

(you see I am glad somebody else can communicate with them :wink:

That was easy:
Shenzhen Bo Rui Seiko Technology Co., Ltd

Lol :wink:

I found this: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nhm10

If you make the body the same diameter as the TM26 or those other lights then people who want a handle can just buy one of these and use it on their light!
:smiley: