Personal Flashlights Banned At Work

Sounds reasonable to me. Little tools rolling around in any equipment is bad. Big lights don’t get misplaced into little spots. Luckily its not some cheap plastic light for lower radar sigs on misplaced equipment.

Nothing new… For example we have very strict rules concerning electrical equipment on petrol stations (ex rating), use of cell phones etc. But no one even blinked when most stations were (over)decorated with plain christmas lights

Bureaucracy at it’s finest…

sounds about right
the shipyard i work in your not supposed to have your own tools or nothing, but i think thats just to cover their butts. people use their own welding hoods and tools all the time.
the flashlights are those cheap yellow 2d incans that are completely useless… we can have our own, but you better keep it in your hand or pocket or it may walk off

The firefighters here have Pelican 4aa Recoil led lights. 80 lumens and a great beam, I don’t believe they can use there own but they can request from the approved catalogue.

I here Pelican is coming out with a new line for Firefightera, haven’t seen any yet while working at firehalls yet

private security company night shift work ?

The time for approval is the bad part.

I have worked under similar tool control requirement during the fabrication of reactor vessels and large (20 cylinder) diesel engines. If those controlling access also account for the tools it easier to not leave anything behind. Buddies that worked on submarines had the same requirements even down to counting back a stub for each welding electrode so none were left behind.

I have assembled many PCs over the years. I can’t count the number of times I have helped rescue someone’s failed build by removing a screw or extra standoff under the motherboard.

Since Firemen sometimes must work in the presence of flammable gas or vapor they are likely to be required to use light certified as explosion proof, i.e., designed by lawyers.

I’m a firefighter, our flashlights must be intrinsically safe

ie: cannot create sparks

Which word you don’t understand?
Mike

haha… classic 8)

zombie proof huh?

Aviation

Pelican Medium Duty Flashlight ‘Pocket Sabre 1820’

Submersible ABS body
High impact polycarbonate lenses
Focused Xenon fired lamp module
Intrinsically safe IECEX approved
2 x C Alkaline
8.0 hrs burn time
Colours: Balck, Yellow, Orange

15 lumen, wow that is very bright….
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Pocket-Sabre-1820-Flashlight/dp/B000P1N59W

Pelican claims 22 lumen
http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_print.php?recordID=1820

Haha, don’t get me wrong, they are absolute rubbish, but if you’re that desperate for a torch at work…

Funny, mine’s still going strong at 20 yrs old. Candlelight beam tint, barely more light than a candle but if the lights are all out and the other flashlights are dead it’s pretty awesome!

Waterproof, virtually unbreakable, no sparks and the best thing?

Free! (I won it as a door prize at an annual 4th of July family picnic put on by the Industrial Supply House where I was shipping/receiving mgr.)

Rubbish for light output I meant. We have them at work connected to the BA sets, they never miss a beat thought, reliable as hell.

It seems that it would be easier to require that all personal lights be tethered to your person…

Slightly brighter than with batteries? Lol

You could always try and go explain your situation, have a size limit placed on personal lights if this was all over a “personal pen” light or a rule requiring them to be checked/tethered by staff (What comes in goes out, etc).

Might screw you if they feel that you are not listening to them though, really is all up to you. Sounds like it sucks though in this day and age you’d think we’d be able to have light wherever we need, now red tape’s getting in the way to make up for someones mistake.

I do wonder if it would be that hard to make a basic intrinsically safe LED, possibly cree, based light that could be used by people who need them at a low cost, with a simple design since the majority of lights like that seem to be incans that are struggling for both output and runtime (Let alone durability, I’ve killed plenty of bulbs just knocking lights around). They could even run off alkaline’s to set the battery debate aside.

Those 2D’s without batteries in em can work pretty well, here’s what you do…find a nearby light source and angle the head of the light so that it catches stray protons and redirects em to the point you wish to illuminate. Kinda like 8 ball in the corner pocket. See? No problem! No light source? Fire up a stogie and use the bright glow from the end of it to redirect with the reflector, about the same lumen output as the 2D WITH batteries! Problem solved! :slight_smile:

The Pelican also has about the same illumination capabilites as a good stogie. Without the pleasureable side effects.