Please help i.d. my uncles flashlight

This light belonged to uncle who passed last year. It was the only thing I was able to aquire of his. I really want to know more about it. It takes x2 CR123 batteries, and says “TBI Tactical performance practical value” in all caps. The driver says “OLIGHT”. Thank you for any help.

It looks like an old Olight T20 from 2009.

1 Thank

I just googled that, and it does! Chances are he purchased it from a mobile tool truck service like “Mac”. Could it be the olight was relabeled to sell as the “TBI” brand?

Tramatic Brain Injury Tactical?

This is the driver.

I never thought of that connection.

I did as soon as I saw the picture of the light…
Probably just because TBI seems to be in the news regularly these days. I hesitated to mention it because of the connection of the light to your Uncle.

BTW, is that picture of the driver above of the driver in your light?

Yes that is the driver in my light. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is “TBi” the welding supply company. That would make sense.

I hope you have fun here, Stevo33!

1 Thank

They probably sold one of their old designs or an unused stock to monetise it.

1 Thank

Companies often “customise” lights and stuff with their brand, to give away to clients, etc. Ie, like shirts, umbrellas, mugs, etc.

Æons ago, I got a few 2×AAA Maglites in presentation boxes. Hard plastic hinged boxes like eyeglass cases, with the “velvet” coated plastic tray that held the light, clip, and 2 alkaleaks up top. Was branded Outdoor Something (Adventures?), whatever the company name was. Nice deep forest-green lights.

So yeah, you get graffitied-on lights, but you get 'em cheaper’n regular Mags.

They all fell victim to serial destruction by those hateful little alkaleaks, unfortunately.

1 Thank

Yeah, I have a couple like that, with my (then) company name on them. Gave them out at one of our annual IT conferences… They still work… I put NiMH cells in them… along with LED “upgrades” and tail switches. :smiling_imp:

1 Thank

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Yah, got these long before anything rechargeable came in AAA size. Those hateful little alkaleaks were the only game in town back then. AA NiCd were the only thing even close.

No worries.