Please Help Me Decide...

So, I have recently decided to rethink my general rule about sticking with “true budget” lights in favor of getting at least one expensive namebrand “wow” light just for that rare opportunity to indulge, but the choices are rearing their heads in successive appeal and this hasn’t been easy.

And on top of that, my minimalist nature keeps vying to win me back over. Add into this dilemma my love for throw and you’ve got a hard decision. So help me choose. Feel free to really sell me on your point of view…

Choice ONE: TK75. This one speaks for itself, but in that I will soon be giving away or selling my SR King (can’t stand the lack of a good medium), this would more than cover the “triple xm-l” bill for at least a year or more.

Pros…

* wicked bright

* throwy

* all-round wower

* superb quality

* small enough to manage

* warrantied

Cons…

* no case I can find for it

* expensive

CHOICE TWO: Kumabear’s inspected Thrunite TN31. The Throw King was something definitely made for me. Its choice of modes, a great case and still-manageable size make it something I’ve wanted for a while.

Pros….

* thrower 

* wower

* high quality

Cons…

* Still somewhat expensive (though not for it)

* doesn’t replace my triple and I have a good few throwers

CHOICE THREE: Roche M170. It’s a powerhouse that would replace the king, looks great and has no big downside.

Pros…

* bright

* throwy/floody

* nice modes

* a wower at a nice price

Cons…

* no case

* no reviews yet

The reason this is so hard is that I’ve been sick all month (with pneumonia, turns out) and I’ve lost time at work, so I need to cut back on expenses (already spent $190 this month alone on these toys!), and I may be switching jobs, and so a temporarily “final” big purchase is in order.

The Roche speaks to my minimalist side, the TN31 to my thrower side, and the TK75 to my throw and all-round “wow” side. They offset each other because the latter is expensive and I don’t want something I can carry, the former is just another thrower I don’t really need, and the former before that is untested. See why this is so hard??

Just my opinion. I would go with the Thrunite TN31. I received mine Christmas eve. It’s great! Although I’m not certain how much longer it shall remain in my possession. Mrs. D has really taken a liking to it… OH, the things we do for love. LMAO

i think if i have to start all over again with this hobby… i would just go for Fenix TK75 and get over with.
it’s more practical for everyday use and able to be use in “search & rescue” mission if need to…hehe :smiley:

Hard to pass up a TN31 for the price now. But a TK75 Rick tells me is his favorite flahlight currently. And coming from Rick that is saying something.

I can’t call this one. But I know if I didn’t have a TN31 that I would be putting it on my-to-do-list. And I now have 2 if that tells you anything. But I actually like my L3 K40 better for it’s a little smaller and almost as bright. It doesn’t throw quite as good as the TN31. But I would like a TK75 as well. And I still don’t have one.

TK75

TN31

Look at the spill and the throw you get from a TK75 it’s the total package!!!

I’m with you, but how do I carry the thing? There has to be a case of some kind.

It comes in a plastic case. Or you could go to Harbor Freight and get a small aluminum case and get some foam.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-x-7-x-4-aluminum-case-69316.html

I would want to be able to actually carry it on me is the thing.

You need to find you a holster.

+1 to that.

At KumaBear's pricing it's tough to beat - plus you can always resell the light for a smaller % loss, should you decide to go for the TK75 later down the road.

I keep coming up empty.

Help!

The head diameter is the only thing that will keep a lot of holsters from fitting from other lights on the TK75. I looked at a lot of the holsters I have, and I don’t believe any of them will work to where you can close the flap to attach to the velcro.

Contact your nearest Tandy Leather. They will make one to fit. Most all of the Tandy leather shops are run by people who started out making leather projects and usually they still do. A custom leather holster fit to your needs.

I’m with you on the holster thing. I just ordered a TK75, but I’m worried I will not use it as much as other lights I own due to no holster to keep it by my side while camping / night hikes etc. I’ve had my eye on the big Roche since I bought the Roche F22. FYI my F22 is a really nice light, super solid build - feels nice in hand, works perfect, etc.

So here is my take on it for what it’s worth:

TN31 - I don’t own one, but have used them before. Great choice Only if all you want is a super thrower. - Killer throw, but as seen in the photos above, it just gets killed in overall light output, and I think the perception will be that it’s just not that bright, despite it’s awesome throw.

TK75 - Don’t have mine yet, but seems awesome from the reviews - best all around choice for throw/flood/output. Head seems a little big, no holster available that I know of - huge drawback IMO.

Roche - May be the best combo or compromise of the group if you can’t come up with a useable holster for the TK75.

I hope that helps, and plese let me know if you find a holster for the TK75 —KartRacer31

its still no slouch……

+1 awesome… i can’t wait to get mine :slight_smile:

BlackShadow Terminator…

Why? Sell it.

this one might work… you just can’t close the lid, but you can carry it with you :wink:
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1328

Can’t advise much on these flashlights as they are close with pros and cons. If Fenix included a holster, then TK75 is easy choice to me. But then again, holster is not really a must for day to day use, but it is must for collector who love their flashlights.
But I think you need to consider BlackShadow Terminator either.