Pocket thrower recommendation (side switch)

That one didn’t make my list because of the 600m spec, I wonder why it falls short of others of similar build? Maybe it’s not driving the LED hard enough?

HOWEVER… I did just come upon the Haikelite MT02, passed it over before because of the 3x18650 but happend to look at it again today and was surprised to see the measurements were actually within the requirements I listed.

The head is actually slightly smaller than both the Maeerxu M8 and the Utorch UT02:
Haikelite MT02 dimensions: 136mm length x 51mm Head x 45mm body

Plus it costs less than the SC01, and I know about an even better deal :wink:

I wasn’t really wanting a “soup can’ but maybe I could tolerate 3x18650 as opposed to the 4x18650. I really have to look deeper into this one…
800m range and 2500lm, it might be the best of both worlds if it has a wider spill than the others.

The only light I currently have of comparable size is the 3x18650 Blackshadow Darth, and the MT02 is just slightly smaller.

Darth:

Haikelite MT02:

Oh crap, just noticed Haikelite MT02 is only available in CW :expressionless:

…And another requirement I forgot to add… Edit, again.

Read the reviews for mt02… That 800m range is way overstated, unfortunately.

Still a nice light. I have one.

I’m beginning to think the three I’ve already listed are the only ones out there that meet all of my (updated) requirements.

What about Deft lights? I read that they throw a great distance

Slightly over budget :person_facepalming:

Oh, and every model is Out of Stock, including the one for $995.00

http://www.onestopthrowshop.com/main.sc

:slight_smile:

Oops. Haha. I see the budget now. Sorry.

I’m not sure they’re even still in business though.

Also, no offense to you, just thought the prices were pretty funny.
Thanks I appreciate you posting and trying to help though!

Have you seen the Nitcore P30? Some stores in AliExpress have it below $60, and it seems to be a thrower… However, it is tailclicky, not side switch…

Also, if you changed some criteria (rose the budget a bit, or changed the 60mm diameter), there would be some nice lights:
Acebam EC60
Klarus G35
Manker U21
:+1:

Thanks, yes I have looked at that Nitecore (95,500cd / 618 meters) but no NW version, also its performance being under the three I’ve already listed IMO doesn’t justify no side switch and it’s $65.00 price tag. (EDIT: as you said I did find it on Ali for $54.95, so not too bad actually)

Acebeam EC60 ($119.00) is more than a bit over budget and still only 90,800cd / 603m, and no NW version

Klarus G35 ($98.98) Also no NW version, I might go a bit over 60mm but 73mm head along with the 3x cells may be a bit much. I’m trying to find something more compact than the size of my HD2010, which is 64mm, but this is pretty close.

$90.00+ lights are way over budget right now.

Manker U21 is basically same as the Utorch UT02 I already have listed, but more than 2x the cost.

I do like all 3 of those brands Nitecore/Klarus/Acebeam, the Klarus G35 especially looks great, it’s only slightly larger than the HD2010 and it has a side switch, at 1000m range it outperforms all of the lights I’ve considered plus @2000lm it should have some useful spill too. Unfortunately though, as often is the case with some of those brands, there’s no NW version, I’ll have to check some reviews and see if it’s not an overly cold tint. I might not pass that one up if a great deal became available.

No offense to anyone who replies here with suggestions, but I will have to “pick them apart” for what they are. :slight_smile:
The three I’ve listed are still the only ones I know about that meet all requirements, that’s fine though, I only started this thread to see if maybe I missed anything.

UT-02 can be had for $29 from Fin17.

Thanks! I’ll edit in OP

No offense taken and yes, the prices are funny. I thought I was the only one who thought that.

If I were you I wouldn’t be so obsessed with that ansi throw number on your candidate lights. You are disqualifying lights that throw 500m vs 700m even though you only really want 200m. (Case in point acebeam ec60) The 500m light may not be “uderperforming” it may just have a bit less focused beam, which would actually be beneficial to you for seeing things at 200m. I think you need to look up some beam shots on these lights, and see what that beam pattern looks like, this is much more important than 100m difference in ansi throw ratings. You may not like that pencil thin beam at 150-200m, a 400m light with a wider spot may be much more useful.

UT02 has the benefit of a constant current boost driver, so that it has full brightness until the battery (5000mAh) is discharged.

Thanks for your input! Yes that does make sense. I did edit my OP a few days ago with: “I might consider a slightly shorter range spec (600m +) if it has a wider spill that the ones I’ve listed” noted at the bottom.

Everything you said has got me (re)thinking some things indeed. In light of that I’ll do some more searching and would be open to suggestions with over 500m that meet all my other requirements. However EC60 is out because no NW version, and priced way over budget.

I edited my requirements (again) :person_facepalming: for the lower range, so hopefully I’ll get some more suggestions and see what else is out there, since so far it’s still only the three I already had listed.

Thanks, I was wondering what is the benefit is of XHP35 vs XPL HI, maybe that’s one?

Also do you know in what modes can it run at full brightness until the point of battery depletion? I like that attribute if it’s true for the higher modes.

Yes, it is.
In general, XHP35 has better efficacy (especially comparing XHP35 with boost driver and XP-L HI with FET). This means longer runtime and fewer heat problems.
In general, it has a larger spot.
In this case, the only light with XHP35 HI has the largest reflector, so it may not have the largest spot (dunno).

Thanks Agro, I was wondering lately about XHP35 being more efficient, since otherwise the lights with XPLHI offer about the same output performance.

And I’ve been noticing 12v boost drivers available that are only 1A or 1.5A, (constant current regulated I think) and wondering if an XHP35 running at those currents would equal the output of an XPL at the higher currents of 5A+ DD (Therefore being more efficient for longer runtime/battery life)

Here’s the drivers I’m talking about:
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026504.H2-C-22mm-1_5A-1-or-2-cell-5-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board-for-Cree-XHP35-XHP50-12V
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S025124.FX35-22mm-1A-1-Cell-3-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board-for-Cree-XHP35

If this is all true maybe XHP35 is the better choice.