Police Officer - Looking for Single Cell 18650 Light - Mild Muggle Warning

It doesn’t fit every single one of your qualifications, as it can only come on instantly to the memorized mode or the the highest level or to strobe mode, but the Nitecore i4000R fits all of the other ones I think. It uses a 5000mah 21700 battery, but can also use 2xCR123 batteries, and it comes with a sleeve so they don’t rattle.
It also comes with a holster that looks useful for law enforcement , and much more effective and easy to get the light out of, than your average nylon holster.

Here’s a link to a review of the light:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/61004

There was also a coupon or group buy for it on here, which made it $90 instead of $120 I think.

streamlight strion DS has that, etail switch as well as side switch,

Oh, neat! I guess I just don’t have enough exposure to lights outside of my usual price range.

i got a friend of mine, who is a nypd, strion ds hl for new years, she likes it. i paid iirc 130usd, with a charging cradle, and 12v plug, it also takes regular mini usb plug. it does take some practice to get programming right, at first i did not realize it was e switch and, could not get it into program mode, unlike regular clicky, half press and hold is not the same as press and click.
however, even thou it uses 18650, it is not regular 18650, it is a special one with ring contacts, only streamlight sells those,

Unlimited issue CR123As? I’d get a First-light T-Max or Tomahawk, with TRS kit. They have a tremendously useful UI that includes instant access to turbo, a well thought out carrying system and good runtime on primaries as well as the ability to take 16340 cells. There’s also color and strobe options that do not affect the normal UI usefulness (separate buttons). Price on the secondary market is much lower than retail.

Otherwise, I don’t think any of the lights you’ve been looking at are great choices. Something like the Streamlight HL-X is a much better choice than the S2+ for example. The former has a much more durable light engine including potted electronics and will stand up to incidental abuse much better.

Get an Olight M2R Warrior. M2R Warrior

BLF M2R Warrior Review

CPF M2R Warrior Review

It is one of the few Olights that does NOT need to use an Olight proprietary 18650 battery, and can run on two CR123A batteries.
It meets all the requirements on your list.

While this is BLF and we love C8’s and S2’s as a go-to beginner light, I really don’t think they are the right light for the kind of (ab)use that they will unavoidably receive as part of your kit. I have abused the hell out of some lights and trust them fully and completely, but it’s still not the same when it can literally be your life on the line.

A resounding “hell no” to the FW3A as a duty light.

They are more $ than the typical *B*LF light we like around here, but in this case something with a proven track record among first responders is worth the price of entry IMO. Streamlight, not sure what Surefire is up to these days. Zebralight and Fenix are the consumer brands worth considering IMO.

Check out Elzetta since you get free 123 cells.

track down a Solarforce P1 or Surefire P6 body—
And add a rock solid potted drop in like a SportTac.
Simple, weatherproof, and able to take abuse.

Acebeam L16. Nuff said!

Thanks to all who posted! I did have a look at the FW3 last night before posting and while it looks like a fun light to have, IMO, for my purposes it’d be too complicated and potentially unreliable.

I went with the Fenix PD35 V2. A store local to me had them on clearance for the equivalent of $49 USD!

I am also going to look into the Olight M2R Warrior as well, it looks like an awesome light, albeit 2x the price of the PD35 but does have a few extra features that I like.

In your backyard you have Armytek. The three models to look at are Viking, Predator and Dobermann. All take 1-18650 or 2-CR123A’s. Tighten the head for on/off only, slightly turn and you have the mode selections. They are very tough and extremely water proof. I have the three and like them, very duty light designed. If you take the 18650 plunge then the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA is the best. Protection won’t be needed as Armytek has low voltage cut off. For $5.00 the XTAR ant MC1 pro is the charger I use. 18650 will be brighter than 2-CR123A’s.

The BLF A6 shorty single 18350 is a good shirt pocket light.

I agree. Armytek Predator is, IMO, the way to go. V3 really puts a good beam out there with XHP35 HI.

Jetbeam Jet-IIM would be my choice. It’s built like a tank. The UI is wonderfully simple. It’s not budget but, it’s not really suppose to be. It just works and does it quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/Combo-Jetbeam-Flashlight-Eco-Sensa-batteries/dp/B01K9YP7G8/ref=sr_1_82?keywords=jetbeam&qid=1583212936&sr=8-82&th=1

Might be able to be found cheaper. I am not sure. Just found this one on Amazon from Andrew and Amanda.

I absolutely never leave the house without that light.

I would also suggest Armytek for a ‘tactical/utility’ light.

Specifically, the Doberman Pro. Nearly as throwy as the Predator, but in a more compact, SF 6P form factor.

*The Armytek has the ideal UI for Tactical / Utility light:
Head tightened = Turbo only, with momentary on. Ideal for tactical use, no possibility of hitting a different mode

Head loose = L-M-H modes with memory.

So for police use, you can carry it head tightened / 1400lm mode. And then loosening it 1/8 of a turn, have it set to 150lm x 10hrs utility mode.

With code ‘BLF35,’ it is $59.

https://www.armytek.com/flashlights/models/dobermann/armytek-dobermann-pro/

Damn, that light is more or less exactly what I am after. I like how it is in turbo mode right off of the hop when it is fully tightened.

Can I loosen the head 1/8 turn while the light is on and in turbo mode for it to drop down to a lower mode? Or does it have to be turned off first?

Yes, loosening the head while Turbo is on will drop the light down to whatever mode you have memorized. Likwise, if you have it set to say 30lm, tightening the head will pop it instantly up to Turbo.

So for police/tactical use, you’d carry it head tightened (1400lm.) Get on scene, you could then do a quick 5-10 second sweep at 1400lm to make sure there are no threats present, then just loosen the head 1/8 with the light on to drop it down to the 150lmx10hr setting, which is ideal for general search application.

This ‘Tactical/Utility’ UI used to the standard interface circa ~2007-2013 for flashlights, but sadly seems to have been abandoned by most of the manufacturers in favor of bizarre, overly complex UI’s.

AFAIK, only Armytek and Eagletac still have this interface.

I have done a bit of digging and it appears there are quite widespread reports of issues with Armytek qc and warranty. Is that old news or still an issue that plagues a lot of lights?

The Olight Warrior is a good option IMHO… when on sale it is a good value.
Also don’t forget the old maglight, you know the one most cops used when I was a kid … I know the company lost their way for a while and nobody recommends them any more, (not sure why, maybe just not the flavour of the day) but I have one of the old ones and just ugraded the LED as good as it was new 25 years ago and is definitely a reliable rugged light. They have some sales on law enforcement packages on their web site.

I love my Fenix PD35tac

1k worth of light good tail cap switch ( wont tail stand though) 18650 battery (check)

Had it in my pocket for like 5 yrs or so and ugraded to the PD36R so I no longer pocket carry I use a holster for the 36R and like it for the USB charging

But if your rotating batteries then the 35tac is nice and robust enough for you I would think.

But good luck on your search there are plenty of good quality lights out there.