[Poll] Convoy drivers with “reverse” or "backwards" select level (like BLF A6)

This is what I want. I hope Simon can do this on his drivers

2 Thanks

Hi @Simon_Mao, you think is acceptable and 25 votes are sufficient or we give some more days before close the poll?

1 Thank

I wish he would just carry bistro, wouldn’t that be easier.

1 Thank

Also reach out to fb and Reddit.

This new feature would also add to the complexity of the user interface because it add a new “action” for users to learn about (longer click).

That’s a big trade-off to consider in lights that are prized for simplicity.

Is there an additional grouping/mode that might be added to the list and fulfill some of what you’re looking for, without making this larger change? Like 1%-10%-35%-100%-35%-10%-1% (steps up and down, not a true reverse).

Downside to these drivers were having flashing junk in the cycle .
I would have like to have had sla carte options to add or subtract some of the sillier modes .
I like a beacon and loathe strobe. I have no desire to ever see lightning or candle or some dumb disco mode but may want a battery check … and no bike flash . A pick it and chose option without having to flash a driver would be sweet .

1 Thank

The BLF A6 firmware is great for this. The strobe & battery check are hidden; you have to go backwards from the lowest mode to find them. Its my favourite firmware for a mechanical switch, it does everything needed and nothing more

2 Thanks

Hi, @Simon_Mao, so can we close? For you it’s ok to implement this feature in your drivers?

1 Thank

It’s a little tricky to get the medium-press thing to work right. It needs to measure time while power is physically disconnected, and that’s not easy to do.

The method Bistro used (OTC / off-time capacitor) was really sensitive to analog properties of the circuit, so it required careful calibration and it wasn’t very consistent from one batch to the next or sometimes even one light to the next. Tiny changes in the components caused big changes in the capacitor decay rate, which then changed the button timing.

The method Flintrock used had more consistent timing, but it was still pretty sensitive to analog decay rate because it needed to keep the MCU running for a few seconds after power-off. It also ended up being pretty buggy, though that could be fixed.

Anyway, it’s a nice feature, but the details are complicated.

5 Thanks

I understand it’s complicated but I think a Bistro function in convoy can be very useful and also Simon upgrade constantly flashlight and driver so I think is a good implementation. Also I miss a lot BLF A6 and I have only one :confused:
I don’t need to rump up in cycle every time for choose low level and do 7 half press. I can go forward and also backwards.

I remember using one of those drivers years ago, and that long press was actually very long. I ended up switching upwards instead of downwards too often.

There is no good firmware (edit: except Crescendo) allowing both directions atm, including Anduril. That needs to be changed.

Another edit: And that needs to be changed in proprietary firmware, too. This click 'n hold thing is so good, Olight, Acebeam, Armytek et al. should incorporate it.

1 Thank

Thanks, I will communicate with the manufacturer

1 Thank

Thank you so much Simon! I close the poll

2 Thanks

Hi Simon,
any news about it?

1 Thank

My negligence.,After discussing with the manufacturer for some time, I forgot about it.

No problem, I remember for you!:relieved:
Give us some news as soon as possible.
Thank you

2 Thanks

No thanks. I prefer the simplicity of Convoy’s user interfaces.

1 Thank

Overall I don’t think this idea of reverse mode is necessary. In fact I don’t like it at all. If it does come to production I definitely wouldn’t want it in all the lights I buy from convoy. Or if it is then it should have the option to be disabled, like memory mode.

I do like boaz idea of ala carte mode though. I think that is the one that, if we’re adding complicated features to convoy UI, would be the one I want the most.

Skilhunt did a version of this in their UI. They have 7 levels on their h04rc, and you can toggle each level off or on as you like. I want something like that.

In fact I’ve seen a lot of requests over the years for “single-mode” grandma lights. Too bad convoy only has 100% as single mode. It’s too bright on some driver/emitter combinations.

But if we could do single-mode 35%, 10%, moonlight -etc… That would be really nice.

1 Thank

The Bistro option with the Mountain FET + 7135 drivers makes it my favorite driver for my mechanical switch flashlights. And the reverse mode medium press is one of the main reasons.

Although the 12 group Convoy drivers are very versatile, I sure wish it had a reverse mode option. I’d happily give up the strobe and SOS if that’s all it took. Or maybe have less than 12 modes.

For those of us that like memory mode, it’s annoying to have to scroll thru the brighter and other modes in order to set the flashlight to the lowest level when going to bed at night. With my Bistro flashlights, I just medium press the brightness levels down.

And to try to keep it uncomplicated, perhaps if during configuration mode there could be a third “buzz” to turn reverse mode on or off (similar to the second buzz for memory mode).

2 Thanks

Sorry @stephenk, I didn’t mean to reply directly to you, but instead generally to the post.

I tried to correct my mistake, but was unsuccessful.