[Poll] Interest Check - Convoy 18650 Zoomie

I spoke with Simon about designing a 18650 Zoomie. He said he’d design it when he got some time.

My only requirements thus far are:

1. Designed for 18650 battery
  2. 32mm to 36mm head
  3. Zoomie of course!

I was curious if anyone else would be interested in such a light, so I made this Poll.

• YES! I’m interested!
  • NO, I’m not interested!
  • Just show me the Results!
0 voters

Would it be asking for too much if the light had the same water and dust protection as the fixed focus Convoys?

This may sound silly, but it would be great if it was compatible with the S2+ 18350 tubes.

2 Thanks

Yes :rofl:

PS: some people don’t use them underwater

It would be pulling a vacuum when you zoom in. Unless it’s internal zoom where the front element doesn’t move but the LED module moves. That should be a sick design.

Also, don’t listen to us bunch for design points. He is destined to fail. LOL

I used to like zoomies, but not anymore.
I have several, and at least one of them is really nice, but I never use them.
I hope the Convoy zoomie turns out well, and I’ll definitely take a look at it, but it just isn’t my jam. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Thanks

I live zoomies. Problem is there aren’t many really good ones. If Simin made a good one I’d probably buy one. It would have to have a buck driver, an led with a round die or at least a focus that doesn’t project a ‘bat signal’ 32 mm head, and it must be a telescopic zoom. I am just not a fan of twisties anymore. 18650/18350 compatible would be awesome.

I had a Zoomie from CountryMan and when you extended the zoom mechanism it sucked itself back together ^^

1 Thank

ROFL. It must have a good seal.

1 Thank

I wouldn’t mind one that used an 18650 but with the same size head as the z1. Like a c8+ to a m21a. But I wouldn’t give it a high priority. I’m not sure I’d be that interested in a smaller diameter one. I’d probably still buy 1 but probably better to focus on other projects I think.

Not too many things I despise more than flashlights that zoom.

Horrible idea.

The entire design is a compromise.

I might be interested if the head was a little bit narrower (25-32mm) so it can be comfortably jeans-pocket carried, IMO >32mm is really quite uncomfortable if the head of a light has a taper.

For the jacket pocket zoomie lights I have a Jax Z1 which ends up at a similar length to a C8+ when shortened and size of an M21C in the usual state (throw)

2 Thanks

It’s like a phase you go through thinking the next one will be better than last.
Have some big ones too and some are better but the design is just doomed to performance reduction when zoomed.
The flood on the big lens is nice and still do rarely carry the Wowtac A3 with a 18350 tube, Sofirn tubes interchange and the sample used does have nice creamy white tint so it’s good for barn use.
Good luck anyway if this thing gets built.

This is what happens with zoomies that are airtight.

Cycling a typical zoomie changes its internal volume. If the light is airtight air pressure equalizing will tend to force the zoom mechanism to revert to whatever position it was in when the light was sealed …, ie when the battery was put in,

This is why most zoom lights are intentionally not airtight. Remove an o-ring so air has a path to equalize when you cycle the zoom.

Waterproof zoom lights that avoid this problem usually require very stiff screw type zoom mechanisms. They work, but require 2 hands to cycle the zoom.

1 Thank

Convoy’s Z1 is one of my most used lights despite my lust for Anduril. Would totally dig a smaller one, assuming it still has good flood/throw

1 Thank

I modded and sold it
After taking it apart once it already stopped doing it

1 Thank