[Poll] Which Convoy T4 host is better?

Which Convoy T4 host do you think is the best? For me, the choice between Glossy and Stonewash titanium is especially tough.

• Titanium Stonewash
  • Titanium Glossy
  • Aluminum Grey
  • Aluminum Orange
  • Aluminum MAO
0 voters

1 Thank

I like stonewash for titanium and grey for aluminum. :+1:

2 Thanks

I’m low-key hoping someone can convince me one of the Titanium hosts is a clear winner. I want both, but I hate to spend $80 due to indecision lol

I can try to convince you in the other direction: aluminum is lighter and has much better thermal properties, plus nicer feeling threads. And did I mention cheaper?

3 Thanks

Looks: Titanium Stonewash
Actually using the light: gray aluminium. Titanium has worse heat dissipation and costs a lot more. And Convoys gray ano is damn nice.

2 Thanks

Yeah, I always choose aluminum over titanium for flashlight bodies…
There are people that just like titanium, though. :+1:

2 Thanks

I thought a single 519a with 14500 cells might not create enough heat for the heat dissipation to matter. Maybe that’s wrong. TBH I kinda like the bite of Titanium in the hand. I have a Titanium D4V2 and it’s been a good light.

I’m aware of the benefits of Aluminum and plan to get one of those but might also grab one Titanium. Anyone know if the orange looks that saturated in person?

Aluminum performs better. Our T4s are orange aluminum (to make them easy to find in our vehicles as emergency lights.)

That said, I do own a glossy Ti T3 and it feels super nice in the hand.

1 Thank

Appears more of a ‘burnt’ orange to me.

1 Thank

I don’t think the T4 gets warm enough to care about titanium’s thermal properties

1 Thank

No machining marks?

1.5A with a single 519A can actually dump a lot of heat. I’ve got a triple S2+ 519A that has a 1.5A mode (overall, so 0.5A per emitter, which is slightly more efficient than a single emitter setup) and it can get extremely hot (as in, way beyond the threshold of comfort) if that output is sustained in even slightly cold ambient temps.

Just the ones that are there by design.

1 Thank

I always prefer stonewashed titanium over polished because stonewashed one is pre-scratched and does not care about being scratched a bit more, while on shiny titanium even the slightest scratches are easily visible and drive me crazy…

1 Thank

Good thinking!
I’ll have to remember that when I have a choice between ordering something very shiny vs. ordering something stonewashed. :+1:

I’ve heard the argument that stonewash wears smooth eventually so polished ends up looking more consistent over time

I find stonewashed finish problematic.

If it gets a scratch, it cannot be polished out because that removes the thin stonewashed surface finish, and then the stonewash coating is uneven.

I baby my lights anyway, but imo shiny Ti is much easier to repolish. Im not set up to refinish stonewashed.

otoh, if you like the look of stonewashed, just go for it… You Only Live Once, and you Deserve it :wink:

I would pick the MAO White (98gm empty)…
Ti is about 50% heavier (155gm empty),
but these are all first world problems… pick the one that puts the biggest grin on your face.
I think Orange also makes sense for an emergency light.

I’m a big Ti fan in general, but the orange T4 just looks special and is the only one i want to buy so that’s my choice.

This may very well be true, i am not sure. Have not used titanium lights enough to cause considerable wear. After all this are mostly for looks and far from perfect in terms of thermal characteristics, so for practical tasks aluminum ends up being used.

With light use stonewashed definitely hides any small damage much better though…

I’d do some seriously questionable things for a Ti+Cu version of this light.