POLL: Your favorite Chinese knife?

If a charger had the option to set the re-charge threshold, then "4.10V" would be just an example setting. For my 10440's i'd choose a setting nearer to the typical termination voltage of Nitecore i4 with these cells. This would simulate a trickle charge for poor-conditioned li-ion cells. One purpose of it is the convenient determination of the max 10440 capacity.

It is easy to determine the max capacity of good 18650 cells with zero self-discharge, and it is a challenge to determine the max capacity of poor 10440 cells with high self-discharge.

Well, that's just one RL application. For advanced users only, or peeps with ocd ;)

I had *tried* to measure the capacities of my four 10440 cells. Was a big practical challenge to get accurate reproducible data!

This is often true, many chargers has a soft change from CC to CV phase, this means that the charge current goes down above 4.1 volt (Sometimes earlier), making the increase up to 4.2 volt slower.

If you look at the charge curves in my battery test, you can see that there is nothing special with the charge speed between 4.1 and 4.2 volt, but 4.2 volt will be stable for some time. My charge setup is a bit special, because the resistance between the constant 4.2 volt and the battery is about 0.002 ohm, this resistance is much higher on a normal charger.

The high self-discharge might be because you over charge the cell!

In my test I charge to 4.2 volt and then wait exactly one hour (1 second tolerance), before starting the discharge.

i know what you mean. well, in my capacity measurements with genuine IMAX B6 i start the discharge tests at the highest possible voltage out of Nitecore i4 or WF-188. Waiting 1 hour, wow:

Thanks, I’ve observed this on many chargers, seemingly that last 4.1 to 4.2 increment takes forever whenever I’m waiting for the cells to be done so I can go on a trip.

readable version:

NSFW:

http://xkcd.com/1256/

You could also buy it at a cheaper place.

Thanks HKJ. Thats a lot cheaper. Sold.

Thinking some more about this.

I would think poorly of a charger that throws in Ni-MH capability without much thought (I would want charge, discharge, refresh and maybe set current, show capacity of charged cells, default to no trickle charge post-charge but can set it for those who need it).

My dream charger would concentrate on Li-ion, a charger that can accomodate a growing collection of different cells. I voted 26650 but capacity testing and safety are important too. External USB is nice for emergency power cut scenario but better suited to compact travel chargers like ML-102.

If I had to start again I would buy Shan charger for my Ni-MH and Efest LUC (pending review of course) for Li-ion (VP1 if it were not for the screen visibility issue).

cheer!

is that you on the right hand side? ;)

I dream: Dinoboy.

i want all of the above and precisely adjustable termination voltage

I voted ,work out the details, I’ll buy one.

What about 32650 support?

all of the above please :)

+1 This.

I want a good hobby charger with purely round cell bays built in, capable of accepting cells from 10440 up to 32700 with acceptable charging rates to accept all of these cells.

Mainly though, I want a charger that is NOT a pipe dream,rammed down my throat on every single recent charger thread posted on the forum……

Wow. Someone put my thoughts into words. Amazing.

oh, I forgot, the included wall power supply must be capable of the current necessary for the high charge/discharge rates, 2a is not going to cover it sorry, and it’d better be less than $40….