Possible standoff in progress near my family's house

I don’t know the state rules out your way but here you can put a pistol grip on a Mossberg 500 and an 18 inch barrel. Instant bullpup. You should buy a cheap cleaning kit and run an oiled patch down the barrel, spray the action with oil and wipe down the exterior with an oily rag periodically.

RC,
Just a reminder, WD-40 and guns do not mix. Keep that stuff well away from the insides of any firearm.
Turns to goo after a while. Then the gun really needs cleaning.
All the Best,
Jeff

Big fan of that shotgun. Have one myself (: you can alternate slug -> shell -> slug…

I would think that anywhere in the country you could have that in your home for self defense

Also not good for bicycle chains and bearings.

Really? Why not?

Not arguing, just curious, as I used it all the time on chains/gears on my bike.

Got tired of grease attracting sand, grit, etc., as that would turn into gritty sludge, so would “wash” the chain by hosing it down with WD40 and leaving it after it stopped fizzing. Did that forever, and never had a problem.

WD 40 has been debated forever. While I don’t use it much anymore, I never had a problem with it. Let the game begin. I agree it can turn to varnish over a long period of time and it is not heavy enough for a bearing. It displaces water well.

Check your auto parts store for Cable and Chain Lube. Maybe Amazon.

Same here, a country boy can survive. :wink: :white_check_mark:

Yep! Charlie Daniels justice

Im not familiar with that expression…
can you tell me what you mean?

I googled it and found two different guys:
one was a musician

the other was a Judge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_W.\_Daniels

WD-40 is a poor lubricant compared to a real lube. It is an OK rust preventive for the outside, but there are better.
Nor is it a great cleaner for firearm type of crud, carbon, copper, lead…

The main problem, other than the poor lube quality, is that it will turn gummy after a time.
I have worked on many – revolvers in particular – that were so goo-ed up with WD that a complete dissemble and solvent clean was necessary.

Last one was an old 5 screw S&W that was so gummed up with WD that the cylinder would barely open under it’s own weight. The trigger works felt awful too. You could barely pull the trigger.
That’s OK cause I got it for a great price cause the owner felt sure there was something wrong with it.

People use WD cause it’s easy to spray down the works of, well, anything and think it’s doing the job.
It does, until it doesn’t.

And it really is a poor lube. A freshly WD-ed action compared to the same with a proper gun lube?
The difference is easy to feel on a double action revolver where there are many parts moving against each other.

The best firearm lube / cleaner is hotly debated in the gun world. But for the average Joe, I think Break Free CLP is a good starting place. I cleans, lubes, and protects from moisture.

LB, Check out Amazon for bike chain lube. You will find a zillion. If fact WD makes a bike chain lube that they recommend over WD-40. The bike chain lubes end up dry-ish and don’t attract dirt like WD-40.

All the Best,
Jeff

Ballistol is another all round cleaner/lube and it is easy on your hands. Google the best gun cleaner and you will find long threads on every gun forum, along with the best caliber, the best bullet type and the list goes on and on. Kinda like the best flashlight.

Interesting, figured the fancy graphite stuff might be overkill, but at this point anything beats plain ol’ LaBrea Tarpit grease.

Never heard of that saying either — But I know what he means

The latest from Nextdoor...

This was posted about one day ago:

"As an observer of the incident the other night...I live 2 doors down, I just want to give a shout out to the guy with the bullhorn. He was obviously a sheriff’s dept. trained negotiator. He remained calmed throughout the entire process ((which went on for hours) simply repeating the request to lay down the weapon, come Out with hands up, etc. kept saying we’re here to help you. A couple of times he did say they were going to send in the dogs (they never did) but, It was all done in a very calm, almost monotone voice. He was there to diffuse the situation.

At one point Marc opened the side door and yelled out F*** you and slammed the door. The sheriff just said “now, doctor that isn’t how we want to talk”

I thought that was pretty funny in an otherwise tense situation! Everyone on the greenbelt was sleeping in late yesterday morning"

Not sure if Charlie D. ever sang it. BUT I know Hank Jr. did !!! :white_check_mark:

And anybody from “Swampland, LA” would definitely understand as well as be good to go. :wink: