Power supply for Opus BTC 3100

I believe an 8amp will be fine too.

The supplied unit is something close to that IIRC. If youre going to upgrade PSU, Id be looking for 8 or so.

Thanks HKJ,

I see they have a 5A as well, I will get that one then.

The supplied unit is something close to that IIRC. If youre going to upgrade PSU, Id be looking for 8 or so.
[/quote]

My supplied eu power supply was 3A…

Hmm I faintly recall the correct amps being about 10?

I tried one like that, one that was rated at 5A. It did not solve the problem.
Using it in the car with a 12V output car adapter did fix the problem. However not just any 12V car adapter, one that is able to handle a lot of amps. The first one I tried blew the fuse internally. When I upped the rating on the fuse it melted.

You can see here

I use a dell server power supply, 100A at 13.8v,

Posted pics and links here

Here is a pic of my dell server power supply

Here are the instructions on how to convert different server power supplies for hobby use, it’s a very long thread! this is where I got the idea to make one.

Enjoy!

You really shouldn’t be worrying about the charging data being inaccurate as charging data will never be a proper judge of capacity. The discharge capacity is accurate with the stock psu and that is what matters…

I’m more worried about voltage/current spikes, and battery condition/damage then the accuracy.

Sooooo…. does the power supply need to be 12V, 13.8V or 10V?

12V & 10A i guess :smiley:

I guess the amps doesn’t really matter, as long as we get the voltage correct as HKJ has stated, right?

It's overkill, but it's hard to argue against it when it sells in the US for $20 or less with shipping. A new 12V/10A power supply at that price will almost certainly be chinese with a bunch of fake safety certifications.

Yes. But more amps = better (generally)

I picked up this one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331146532722?var=540352460283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It does matter. 12v isn’t optional. 3-10amps is optional.

Doesn’t seem like this thread is getting anywhere either. Numbers just being tossed all around with nothing concrete to go with. I was going to hit the thrift stores today which have tons of containers full of old ac adapters to pick through but still don’t know what voltage and amps to look for. It appears no one really knows and its a guessing game.

What don't you get? HKJ explained it nicely in his review. Don't blame others because you don't understand.

When did I do anything but speak the truth and blame anybody? Have you read this thread. Numbers are being tossed all around with nothing to go with. Yes, I read the review and no I didn’t see the answer to the op’s question here. I haven’t read the review thread in a while perhaps it was updated. But I don’t plan on reading a 20+ page thread to find the answer, I will just roll with it as is and only charge one battery at a time as I remember the review saying that was accurate. Thanks for your help leaftye.

Dazed1- If you ever positively figure this out. Please update your first post with the correct charger to make this thread very helpful for others that are looking for one. Thanks.

People are looking for a simple, reproducable, economical, recommendation. 12V would seem to be a must have, but someone has suggested a 13.8v supply, is that a reasonable choice? I don’t know the answer for certain, but I’d avoid it to play it safe. Others have asserted that most power bricks are 12v, which isn’t really true, particularly for higher power equipment, like laptops, which are typically 19V.

HJK suggested >=10A, but people are trying less, others more. Not everyone understands that a higher current supply should be fine.

The consensus that keeps getting thrown out is to get an XBox power supply and mod it with a proper barrel plug. Simple, right? Nope!

Which XBox? The obvious answer when someone doesn’t specify XBox 360, or XBox One is the original XBox, but that is probably the wrong answer, since the original XBox had an internal PSU.

So, next guess is the XBox 360. That’s a better guess, except that there were multiple generations of the hardware, with power draws from 204W on down to 120W. Even better, they actually deliver both 12V and 5V, so you can’t expect the full power output to be available on 12V. XBoxOne PSUs might be a viable option too, looks like they have a 12V line that can deliver 17A. Be careful though, they aren’t universal AC voltage supplies. Shouldn’t be a problem if you are buying a used one from your region, could be a problem if you buy internationally.

And then there is the fact that not everyone feels confident modding a power connector, or has the tools to do it (yet:)

Not quite as simple as it seems, is it?