Prayers for Hurricane Sandy

How about giving it a break and just give everyone best wishes?

The intent (I believe), was to just let people know that we care about them and pray that they are ok.

Even an agnostic like me can and does use the work pray. Hope and pray that they make it through safe and sound. Don't bash those that believe and don't bash those that do not believe, just take a darned chill pill and let up will ya?

The point of the thread is to let people who are in the hurricane know we are supporting them and concerned for their welfare.

Where do I or anyone "bash those that believe"?

Maybe bash is too harsh of a word, or a poor choice of words. I tend to do that.

I believe this is what Old-Lumens was referring to (bashing):

Speedsix: I’m confused. The storm is an “act of God” yet we pray to God not to get smashed by his storm.
—————————————————————————————————————————————
nekdo12: And yes, praying is equal to doing nothing.
scaru: I have been trying to stay out of this but Im gonna side with Speedsix, what is the point of “praying” to someone who creates things that kill thousands

If someone starts a thread saying they are offering their prayers to people in the path of a hurricane, why go into that person’s thread and offer up your opinions on what you think of praying? I just don’t get it. If you don’t want to offer up your prayers (in a thread created for that purpose), then why bother posting to the thread about your feelings on the subject? What value do you add other than creating conflict?

Do you think that people that were being affected by the hurricane care more about seeing warm wishes from people around the world, or your views on God and praying?

Well, if I was drowning and one person was sitting on the shore praying for me and one person swam over and rescued me, I know which person I would be more thankful for.

I understand the sentiment and agree that I wish everyone in the storm’s path nothing but the best. My point is, if this storm is an act of God, what’s the point of praying? Either God creates these disasters and kills people by doing so or he doesn’t. If he does, why should we pray to a mass murderer? If he doesn’t, why would we pray to someone who can’t or won’t help anyway? Can’t have it both ways. Either God is a muderer or he is asleep at the wheel.

I recently watched my mother painfully die from cancer. She was the most religious person I knew. Her church told her to try praying the cancer away before doing chemotherapy. She tried that for a year before the cancer got really terrible. When she finally started doing the chemotherapy, it was too late. The chemotherapy could have helped, the prayers were worse less useless.

Not trying to start a war but I have just as much right to not believe as anyone has of believing. I never brought up my skepticism to my mother because I think it gave her some comfort. Secretly, I was fuming and hated her church and religion for killing her when there was a better way. You can keep your faith, I have no use for it.

My view is, sometimes bad things just happen. Sometimes good people die and it is not anything but bad luck. A prayer = a hope = a wish, which in the end amounts to nothing.

I guess I see where you're coming from but people will always be doing this type of thing on BLF, it never will stay on topic. ;) It simply creates a discussion which I personally find interesting.

As someone affected by the hurricane I prefer this type of discussion as it gives me something to do when cooped up in the house.

Prayers are fine but filling a few sandbags is even better. I donated blood at the Red Cross yesterday. I was going to pray but felt like actually doing something instead.

+1 As a friend of mine pointed out, donate money to Red Cross or Fema. That will actually do something rather than wasting your time praying to a imaginary friend.

+1 on prayers, everyone stay safe. I wish I could help those who need it also more real. For now my thoughts and prayers are with everyone fighting the storm.

If you wanna help...

:) I was thinking more of "filling a few sandbags" help, but sure why not, this is a way of help too

just curious Speedsix. What do you believe it is in you that made you want to help out?

Well said Pretzy,thoughts and prayers to everyone,everyone facing any of lifes storms.,but especially those who have Hurricane Sandy to face .May God bless ya all.
DON…

As the two of us are in the same position religiously I'll share my views. :) To me doing something like that or donating time/money is all part of being a good moral being. I personally try to be a moral person not because I will go to "hell" if I don't but because it is simply the right thing to do. I always try to help people out in the hopes that if I ever needed help I would be helped. ;)

Class sir,nicely put.

DON…

This is a question for Saypat or any other religious person.

Do you think that this is a good saying?

"As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."

+1

Just a general good will towards others. Try to help out my fellow man when I can. Helps take some of the edge off life for those in need. No man is an island unto himself and all that. It’s got nothing to do with a supernatural being that lives in the sky.

Religion doesn’t have a monopoly on morality. Far from it. Some of the least moral and most disgusting humans cloak their depravity with religion. The more outwardly religious a person is, the less I trust them. How many of you would allow a Catholic priest to baby sit your 7 year old boy?

comparing apples and oranges, isn’t it?

This isn't a place for discussion about faith or religion .I think it was a heartfelt prayer by Pretzy and maybe an exhortation to some of us to remember how grateful we should be and to appreciate that which we have been blessed with .

thank you to those who are helping or sending aid and assistance and those who have sent out prayers for the people whose homes and lives have been turned upside down ...Our hearts are broken on your behalf and our prayers go out to you and your loved ones .

I appreciate all the believers on BLF .. You can pray for me 24/7....You know who you are ..

Anyone want to discuss religion just PM me ...I'll talk about faith till the cows come home .