Preparing for power outages

Hello there!

At first, I’m happy to find such big forum with a helpful community!

I hope, I choose the right subcategory.

As the title says, my family preparing for the scenario in which we will have relatively scheduled (4/4 hours) power outages for several months in a row during winter and late fall/early spring.

I will continue to read this forum, Reddit etc but I will appreciate your opinions, recommendations and propositions for solutions.

I think we will have power for at least 8 hours per day in total or in the best case up to 12 hours. In the worst case, there can be total blackouts for days (till I hope not). Also, I’ll have power for 6-7 hours in a row in my workplace 5 days per week (except for blackouts).

Last winter we were using mostly candles, smartphones, AA-powered strings of lights, one AA-powered small lamp, one tiny AA powered cheap led flashlight and one LED Rechargeable E27 Light Bulb.

I like candles, but we burn them a lot and it’s not the best light source to walk around.

String lights were placed in the bathroom and kitchen for frequent short visits. They are ok but emit too dim light and you always must find a power switch first.

AA lamp was just junk IMO. But it’s a cheap chinese thing, so not a big surprise.

The flashlight was one of the most valuable things for me for the ability to move around quick, but regimes switch with just one button was very annoying. “Oh, you need a light? Here is a strobe!”

E27 LED light bulb was interesting, but it needs to be turned on all the time to charge even during the night (which annoys us) and it can’t hold the charge long enough in between outages. But we liked the ability to light the whole kitchen to cook, wash the dishes etc.

We need light sources for occasional visits to kitchen/bathroom, some movable light sourse that we can put on table or hang to furniture in the kitchen to cook/wash dishes, maybe pocket flashlights and this year, I had a request to have a good light source for reading and, I think, writing and embroidering/needle work.

We live in flat, so generators isn’t an option (sad fridge noises).

My idea, for now, is to have several rechargeable light sources which will run 21700 batteries. I’ve ordered Xtar PB2S (the old one that can’t charge protected 21700). But I am still not sure if it right decision. Maybe something with 4 chambers like Vapcell S4 plus / LiitoKala lii-500 / Xtar VC4SL / OPUS BT-C3100 is a better solution?

For frequent occasional visits to the bathroom and kitchen, I want to buy some dirty cheap chinese solar powered lights with motion sensors (like this https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuFxpxh) and replace the batteries with 21700. I know that this tiny solar panel is useless (especially during the winter). I will use Xtar to charge batteries or just will add a circuit to charge them with a micro USB.

For the rest rooms and usages I want to make several DIY led/COB strip/panels based lamps OR to buy some affordable lamps/flashlights. Still don’t know what to choose and how exactly to build them, so I opened to your propositions and alternatives.

Also I found light diffusors for flashlights very interesting. Maybe it’s better to have good reliable long lasting flashlight with diffusor that you can put on the table and grab at any time just to not step at the cats. And a flashlight is a usable thing not only for power cuts so I can use them later. But I wondering how flashlights can handle such extensive usage in terms of overheating, longivety… I don’t want to burn them out. Also do I need for such usage something like convoy s21a? Or cheap noname chinese 2$ flashlights will work too (we already have two tiny cheap flachlights)?

And I still don’t know what to chose for reading/writing/embroidering.

Alternativelly I tnink about buying some 60 Ah car battery with charger and to put DIY 12v led strip lams with power switches everywhere.

So, what are your thoughts? Please consider that I have no acces to Amazon or Ebay. Only local stores and Aliexpress (with limitations). Thanks!

2 Thanks

Only local stores and “limited” AliExpress? What country is this. You’re on the right track with rechargeables and spare batteries.

1 Thank

Plese explain what you mean by scheduled power outages. Every outge I have seen is unplanned.

I’m from Ukraine. And Aliexpress does not sell goods directly to my region because it too close to battlefields

It means that we will have schedule made by power delivering companies with announced days and hours when we will not have power. Usually we have 4 hour with power end 4 without. It works only when there is no bombing.

1 Thank

Ok makes sense.

Rechargeable batteries make the most sense.

1 Thank

Before last winter I made a solar panel system for my family living in Ukraine. Consisted of 40W solar panel, 12v lead acid battery 18Ah capacity, battery charging controller and car type socket 12v - with plug car phone charger with couple of USB outlets. Don’t have photos of whole set, but got one without solar panel.

This would be great for You, but I don’t thinks solar panels and charging controller would be easy to find in Ukraine right now…

So easiest way, especially if You would have power for at least 4h is Ni-Mh or Li-ion batteries and charger - and they can be plugged in whole time and will just power on when there’s power and charge the batteries without any action from You - at least quality ones like Vapcell or liitokala chargers, not so sure about cheap ones.

Where do You live exactly? I’m from Poland, maybe I can find a way to help. Already sent some of my flashlights to Ukraine.

2 Thanks

Plenty of those on olx.ua Prices similar to Poland.
Mike

Hi there @p1nky.ua , great to have you here! I hope the community here can offer some good tips for your situation.

2 Thanks

Thanks for your reply!
It’s a good idea. It will be a good power source not dependent from the centralised system. And I can connect DIY led lights to the car battery and put them in each room maybe. Just don’t really want to mess with a bunch of wires. Cat loves wires and I have 3 of them. Actually, I was considering something similar last winter, but 12v solar panels were really hard to find. Times change, and now it’s pretty easy (we have OLX). And prices can be acceptable. How to choose the right one? Also how solar panels would perform in cloudy weather? I live on the 9th floor on the sunny side. The best I can do is put it on the window glass so it can be up to 45x110 cm. The same question about a charging controller. Also, what is the black thing with red numbers? Just voltmetre? I have buck converter (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000155213741.html) which I can use to regulate output and measure power.
I live in Dnipro. And my mates live in Poland too) They moved to Warsaw several years ago. Had visited them in 2018 and planned to visit last year but… Poland is beautiful. I liked nature and old buildings a lot (not the ones built by USSR tho)
As for chargers as I’ve mentioned I have ordered Xtar so I can bring it to the workplace and charge batteries there. But maybe it will be better to buy another one just to be able to charge more cells at once. Fortunately, we have choices.

Thanks!

If You want to build such solar panel setup I can look for parts at OLX.ua, but I need at least an hour.

Do You have a 12v car battery You can use?

1 Thank

No, I haven’t a car battery nor charger for it. So it’s a more expencive solution than just flashlights.
Don’t bother yourself with olx search, I can make some research by myself I think) There is a lot of things. I.e. such ready-to-use solutions Солнечная панель 12-18v, 5v 2 USB 40w с контроллером 10А: 2 500 грн. - Електрика Київ на Olx

I wouldn’t buy the set that You have linked - I have such solar panels and this type of controller and those are low quality, You’re lucky if You could achieve 50% of their specified power. More like 1/3 and only in direct sunlight.

Found parts in Dnipro, I need them sorted out and will post them here.

Solar panels:

1. Сонячна панель 60 w: 600 грн. - Зарядні станції Дніпро на Olx
    This one is cheap and as built-in USB outlet - but it’s low quality and will get You 50% of specified power at max and might not work at all in winter time. Don’t really recommend it.

2. Портативна солнечная панель 50вт енергія сонця завжди з вами!: 1 600 грн. - Зарядні станції Дніпро на Olx
    A little bit hard to tell by the pictures what’s it worth, but 50W for this price seems to be rather low quality.

3. Гнучка сонячна панель Altek DFSP 50,70,100,120,180 W: 2 320.06 грн. - Електрика Дніпро на Olx
    This one seems to be like one I have bought for my project - it should work fine. I would buy these.

4. Солнечные панели батареи Сонячні панелі батареї Нові ПРАЙС: 2 202 грн. - Електрика Дніпро на Olx
    These also seem to be fine - Those at the bottom of the page: 50 Вт by ALM and ALF.

Now the controllers:

1. Контроллер солнечных панелей 12/24 вольта 100А: 500 грн. - Перетворювачі напруги Дніпро на Olx

2. Контролер для сонячної панелі PWM 30A 12/24V: 450 грн. - Електрика Дніпро на Olx
    Both are cheapest chinese controllers, they work, but might get broken with no reason anytime…

3. 100 А контроллер МРРТ: 1 500 грн. - Електрика Дніпро на Olx
    This is the best I found in Dnipro. Should be MPPT, which means it will be more efficient.

Batteries:

1. Аккумулятор 7 Ah мульти гелевый AGM для бесперебойника UPS ИБП ДБЖ АКБ: 650 грн. - Інша електроніка Дніпро на Olx
  2. Аккумулятор мульти гелевый 7 Ah AGM для бесперебойника UPS ИБП ДБЖ АКБ: 650 грн. - Акумулятори Дніпро на Olx
    I would prefer bigger ones, but these will be enough to charge Ni-Mh or Li-Ion batteries
  3. Аккумулятор гелевый для инвертора котла тяговый ИБП ДБЖ АКБ GEL 22Аh: 2 400 грн. - Безперебійники живлення Дніпро на Olx
    Similar to what I’ve used.

And small but ready to use:

I have one such panel from AliExpress and it should be 21W, but in reality is 7W…

What I would recommend is 50W panel for 2200 грн (position 3 and 4 on solar panels links), MPPT controller for 1500 грн (or buy chepaer ones - one as spare part) and when it comes to battery it’s Your choice. Smallest setup would cost 4350 грн and would work even at winter - but then max what You can get from 50W panel in a day would be 50Wh - but that is enough for charging Li-Ion batteries for flashlights.

There are also smaller parts - cables, fuse, car socket (but You could also attach cable directly do 12v plug), optional voltometer like in my picture - only to know how much energy You’ve got left in battery.

1 Thank

Yes, this black thing with red numbers is just voltometer - to know how much power is left in the 12v battery.
Most charging controllers hava both USB outlets and stabilised 12v outlet - You don’t need to use Your buck converter.

What I planned to use when there could have been power outages last winter in Europe were:

1. Flashlights with silicone diffusion caps
  2. Power bank + USB light - and there are many types, both <1W to have long runtime and also 10W so that’s it quite bright in the room (at least small one) but drain battery quickly. Here’s some of my ideas:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005925298604.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.5906276fh137jA&algo_pvid=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72&aem_p4p_detail=20230820073610596685597307100008503228&algo_exp_id=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72-2&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2.41!2.41!!!17.49!!%4021038ed816925421701515186ed590!12000034875908494!sea!PL!1649940944!&curPageLogUid=PhKnNjVVLecw&search_p4p_id=20230820073610596685597307100008503228_3 These draw less than 1W

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004146259625.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.5906276fh137jA&algo_pvid=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72&aem_p4p_detail=20230820073610596685597307100008503228&algo_exp_id=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72-3&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2.94!2.94!!!21.30!!%4021038ed816925421701515186ed590!12000028189030044!sea!PL!1649940944!&curPageLogUid=kpJvbVY1xcmM&search_p4p_id=20230820073610596685597307100008503228_4 The 24 LED one draws 7W if I remmeber correctly and is quite bright

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005081423501.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.37.5906276fh137jA&algo_pvid=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72&algo_exp_id=e9d05187-0d86-4aa5-ba91-137eec9c7d72-18&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!1.96!1.95!!!1.96!!%4021038ed816925421701515186ed590!12000031569771330!sea!PL!1649940944!&curPageLogUid=vV2Nx2p1aplx This one is quite dim, but there’s a cable - so You put powerbank somewhere on furniture, but the lamp itself might be suspended high - just like normal lamp.

Tnank you so much!
So basicaly:
Solar panels - the bigger in size and more powerful - the better. As far as I know to get better performance panels should be placed under direct sunlight at 90 degrees or so, what is impossible for me. Can I get at least 50% performance from solar panel placed on window?
Controllers - 400W/30A and more
Car batteries - gel ones of proper capacity

BlockquotePower bank + USB light

Like these? Оголошення OLX.ua: сервіс оголошень України — купівля/продаж бу та нових товарів, різноманітні послуги на сайті OLX.ua

Edit: oh, I see. Thanks!

Yes, solar panel are most efficient when in direct sunlight at 90*, but still work when for example at 45* - but You won’t get peak power then. Can’t really give You any percentage data, but bottom line is - yes, they will work. Right now there is a trend to use solar panel on balcony - also without proper 90* condition.

You don’t need 30A controller - I suppose You would choose panel below 100W, so 10A is enough. If 20A is just a bit more expensive then You can buy 20A - might be more durable, beacuse it should have better heat dissipation.

Yes, gel ones (AGM) would be best, but any lead acid battery will work (charging controller should have a possibility to choose which type of battery is used, as there are some minor differences in voltage).

About USB lights - if You have couple types of them You can “adjust” amount of light versus runtime. For example if You need to just see furniture to move around a room then even 1W light put in the powerbank is sufficient. But when You decide to stay in that room and let’s say cook dinner - then You change that light to 7W one. This “power adjustment” is important when there’s scarcity in electric power. In LED flashlights it’s much more simple as there are modes, so one flashlight can be set either to high power or long runtime.

Edit:
I forgot about one very important thing - You need solar panel that has 18 Vmp (voltage at pmax) - when connected to charging controller it charges the battery with proper voltage (let’s say 12v, but rather ~14v actually).

1 Thank

I think a portable power station is something that would help you. I know they tend to be $$ but its the right tool for the job.

IMO it’s an overkill for the price. They can’t power a fridge and will provide similar efficiency to car battery or bunch of 18650/21700 in terms of light. And in case of total blackout for several days they will be useless in comparison to solar panel. Actually for their price I would buy invertor and several car batteries to power fridge

You need a very sophisticated system to power your home for several days. Sure you can get a few marine batteries and a large inverter but if you want to make it safe with solar capability this is a very expensive option. By expensive I mean $3000 for the cheapest option, to $10000 for state of the art option. Again, if your goal is to power tour whole house for a few days.