Project scrapped

:frowning:

No need to apologize for real life compromises. Wait for her nap.

I’m sure MRsDNF will offer some words of wisdom.

Nothing to add. Shrugs shoulders and wonders why he's not working on the OL build light?

don’t be sorry, we all must carry out superior orders sometimes (always)

And here I was hoping to see some action, like headlight with overheated driver that got stuck on 4000lumens fast strobe… :frowning:

LOL. No worries OL… on to the next projects. :slight_smile:

Can you propose a compromise you won’t use it for driving, just for R&D purposes?

I think this would be great to see if it can be done, it may even become a business opportunity, if you could make it and the materials are cost effective you could find out what is required to get them legalized and go form there, i assume its a convoluted process but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Perhaps the business idea is a bit far fetched, but seeing if it can be done is worth a lot even if you don’t use them for actual driving.

I’m really sorry to see this project scrapped :frowning:

If you really want to try out some automotive mods, there’s a great community for HID retrofits over at HIDPlanet.

Really great group of members and US-based vendors (TheRetrofitSource is easily the best of the bunch, products have made appearances at SEMA and Ken Block’s RaptorTrax has headlights built with TRS parts), with tons and tons of information to share on HID projector retrofits. A lot of people wrongly believe that it’s impossible to get a quality HID retrofit into a halogen headlight—it’s not. Sure, it takes some time, but the results are astounding. Just browse the beam shots (a home away from “home” perhaps ;)) and you’ll get a feel for what can be done.

Just like flashlight mods, headlight retrofits can be done to varying degrees. There are simple projector retrofits, while others go crazy building custom wiring harnesses, LED arrays, paint jobs, and projector tweaks (adjusting cutoff, focus, lens type) for the perfect beam.

Just like the flashlight world, there are custom builders who can do projects for you at cost.

Even if you don’t plan to do a vehicle mod, I think you would really find the kind of work done on that forum very enjoyable—as would most flashlight modders! It’s equally as methodical and precise, especially when it comes to playing with the projector to build the beam shape.

I wasn’t trying to rain on your parade with this first post, I’m just saying that TRS has tried very hard to build something like what you’re doing, as have other members on HIDPlanet. All have run in to problems with beam profile and thermal management. We’re at a point now where DRLs can be done, but it may not be possible to build a PnP LED bulb to retrofit into a low or high-beam halogen reflector that doesn’t compromise on performance, beam pattern, and (in the end) safety. I was simply trying to suggest that you explore an alternative means to an end by exploring a projector retrofit. The wife may be skeptical, but once she sees a completed HID retrofit I can’t imagine she will be anything less than thrilled!

If this is something you do decide to take on, don’t hesitate to reach out to members on HIDPlanet or employees of TRS. They’re always willing to help.

Any invention, or new idea, will face obstacles usually, in terms of technical aspect or attitude of people.

How can you make something legal before it was even produced? Of course you need to first carry out R&D, fabrication, testing, and then send it for registration… blah, I don’t know the actual procedures to make it legal though especially in your country. But my point is if one doesn’t take the first step how could he/she anticipate the later advancement or change?

Same goes to the HID: Long long time ago I believe the general public didn’t even know what is a “HID”, and not to mention to use it legally on automotives. But nowadays HID can be legal, provided that you use a proper reflector/aspherical lens retrofit and has the approval from the government.

I can completely understand her concern, but like the others said, how about let’s call it a “prototype”?

No matter you want to continue this project or not, you are always the man. :beer:

You might offer your wife the wisdom of the Dalai Lama, who said “It is important to know all of the rules, so that they are broken correctly.”

one handy DIY LED mod you can do for older cars is to replace the inside festoon bulbs with LEDs. Either LED festoon bulbs (easy option) or make your own heatsink to fit the housing (difficult option). I was tired of replacing the front inside light which blew and screwed up the rear hatch release every time for some reason. Replaced all of the bulbs with warm white XR-Es from the scrap bin and they’ve been giving stellar service for the last 2 or 3 years. Even have a rear facing one so that the ground behind the car is illuminated when the back is open.

I’m afraid I agree with all the doubters - there’s a lot of work that goes into every external light on the car, especially the mains, and a lot at risk for yourself and others if they’re not working at least as well as they’re supposed to. Note, supplemental driving lights (aka fog lights) are not subject to the same regulations AFAIK (although that may vary by state) so that’s another option if you need more light with the high beams. Never got round to asking my local inspector what the rules were for that though.

Wow… did he really say that? :open_mouth:

Sorry I didnt look at the pictures, I read H4 and went with what I assumed, the bulb pictured appears to be a HB4. I should have seen it anyway.

Sad that youve given up, its one type of bulb that should work OK. But there might still be odd bright and cold spots with overlap in a 360 degree arc. 3 LEDs with 120 degree light arc gives 360 degrees, but there is difference in brightness from the outer edge to the middle of each LED? 4 would make up for some of that but to what extent, and would it create its own spots of bright an dull?

The brighter whiter bulbs dont just come in 30plus varieties, Narva go right up to 120plus (that Ive seen). Not sure how they would use the technique you mention to that extent and still have it not instantly pop at 14v. Ive been using 30 plus for a number of years, they last as long as any Hella bulb Ive had. Ive not tested and recorded data, but anecdotally I never spotted a shorter life in them. And yes I do plenty of night driving, I prefer it.