Proposed Improvements to Convoy's user interface(s).

Yes, that is what Sofirn hate about it also, the continuous hassle caused by user error, also refund claims for the same reason. I’ve had a whole order of the Sofirn LT1 arrive in Advanced UI, glad I checked them to revert it back to Simple UI. I don’t stock anything else with Anduril now. Issues with user error and difficulty marketing it to non enthusiasts who run for the hills seeing the Advanced diagram haha.

I do love the thermal regulation on Anduril, but I prefer a simple UI when possible.

You guys make some great points. Anduril is nothing but a pain if you’re not an enthusiast. I like it a lot, but these days I’m just as happy with any e-switch UI that gets the basics right. I’ll revise the list accordingly.

Hence why I want Anduril 2C to be a thing.

Convoy UI by default, and with 30 clicks, you get to the advanced UI :slight_smile:

My god not 30 clicks, i can’t even do 20 to change my group

I support the proposed changes.

I would like to add that the mode spacing should be changed on all the drivers not just the 5A. 35% needs lowered.

UI changes would apply to all drivers in that category (either mechanical switch or electronic switch). I think most users like the 35% mode, but if some of my other suggestions are adopted there will be a wider variety of mode groups for you to choose from on mechanical switch lights, and many of them should have a mode lower than 35% that should suit your needs.

If Convoy flashlights had only a tail switch with smooth bidirectional ramping and a double click for turbo, I'd be very happy.

It doesn't have to be Anduril, but Anduril works great for me.

If it was going to be lowered, then there would need to be another level in between. I think 35% is fine as is, it’s only the 35% thermal limit that needs lowering, maybe that’s what you meant?

Myself, and a few others in the past, we wanted to see a level slightly less than the Turbo in a mode group, for the purpose of a longer, higher output, burst.

Had a lot of trouble convincing Simon because he kept saying it’s minimal difference visually. It’s a big difference when it’ll achieve a longer burst before stepping down.

The 4X18A has a rather large gap in between High and Turbo. I’d love a level in between that without needing to switch to smooth ramping.

35% is the most useful mode as most Convoy lights thermally balance in the 30-40% range.

35% works great for me.

It's practically as bright at 100% while getting rid of most of the heat.

Same for me. It’s plenty bright, but it’s thermally sustainable in most situations. If I need more brightness than 35% I’m just going to go to 100. I have zero need for an intermediary step like 70.

Yeah, I’m talking about use for hunting where a longer higher output for searching is more favorable than a very short burst at 100. Quite a large difference in range between 35 and 100%

Newb question: Wouldnt 70% last longer before a step down though?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m getting at. A level slightly less than full turbo for the only purpose of a longer sustainable output

Separate mode switch and forward clickie.

There’s a lot of hunters buying the Convoy models, as a dealer myself, and another very large dealer in Bulgaria who’s on blf. A longer slightly less bright turbo is far more beneficial than full turbo.

The trouble is, is that very few hunters would be on blf to chip in

Your signature has a link to one meal a day. Do you do OMAD? I’ve been on it since Feb 2021 and lost 23kg, it’s life changing.

My friend, not to derail the thread, but I’m the guy who created the term OMAD and the movement on the internet in 2015. Nobody was talking about that before me except in a book by Elijah Mohammed in 1967;-)

It’s a shame that the e-switch UI lacks polish. I love the regulation, and in general I can live with the mode spacing, etc. Not memorizing turbo, the ability to get from turbo back to memorized level, removing turbo from the normal groups, and the ability to go from moonlight to stepped/ramp modes are much more significant oversights that I think would really take Convoy to the next level for very little additional cost.

5% - 15% - 40% - 70% - 100%

Perfect. I have a driver from MTN like that and it’s good spacing. Would be nice to add moon/firefly with a backwards movement or part of the rotation, if 100% could be through a double-click or something. I think a lot of people don’t understand how Simon arrived at his mode spacing in the past (input from here) but he’s been pretty stuck on it because of that. And I think a lot of people may not use their lights for longer periods and/or just toy with turbo for a minute or three and really don’t care about run time or heat. Something between 50-ish and 100 has a lot of value for a lot of people…just depends on how you use your light, though. Never going to please everyone all the time (yay Ramping!) which is what got us where we are now with the mode spacing. There’s science and observation behind the thinking, though, and it’s not incorrect….but it’s not an absolute, either.

This can be really affected by emitter/reflector proportions, though. More focused beams benefit more from that 70%-ish level than do generally-balanced beams or those that approach flood. On the flip side like with a headlamp or lights used for up close work or inspection, those extra light levels in a smooth flood can really matter so that you get the light you need without introducing glare or reducing details…but most flashlights aren’t used like this.