Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

Or, you could use the Old-Lumens method of stippling a reflector.

Thanks for the answer and tips !

MZ have extremely low Vf, this means they will try to draw A LOT of current with DD drivers, be careful folks!

I will start with un-bypassed springs in my Q8 build and go from there. The MZ has its max at 17 amps though so it does not die easily. But I aim at 10 amps per led, so 40A total, for 8800 led-lumen and 7200lm OTF (for 1.5 minute runtime before stepdown).

^ that is, after my little workshop is back in business, it had to be moved to the other side of the livingroom (I’n stuck away behind a cupboard now :party: ), and only now I realise how much working equipment I have in that two square meters :open_mouth: . It will be another week before it is fully functional again.

Sad truth is that, by now, only 35 out of 85 of boards from "Group buy Interest list" are sold, and there is a good chance that some of these boards are purchased by people who are not on the list.

So currently that is only enough to pay off DHL shipping from manufacturer(LOL).

Funny thing is, quite few members explicitly wanted dual footprint PCB with 5050 included because they planned to mod Q8 with 4x XHP50.2. Funny thing, now that boards are available for quite some time, I'm still not seeing a single 4xXHP50.2 build?

Lesson learned, I cannot trust BLF Interest lists in which there is no obligation to pay before production, so I will stay away from these "I want it, but not for real" types of group buys.

That is not nice to hear, but I fear that you are right about XHP50.2 builds: there are only so many people who will start this complicated build, while a led-swap with LuxeonV leds (which is by far my favourite Q8 version btw) or Luxeon MZ leds is way less challenging and will be done by more people.

I hope that the new wave of Sofirn Q8 lights being sold, and with the battery tube extension, will initiate extra interest in the 4040/5050 Q8 board, it surely enables some awesome builds!

i purchased your dual footprint PCB with 5050 but yet to own BLF Q8 :stuck_out_tongue:

waiting for sofirn Q8

@led4power
Really sorry to hear this!!!
One friend of mine (not on the interest list) bought 1 and you shipped out mine today (although i am not modding my Q8 now). But i wanted to have at least one board before its gone.
Hopfully more people will mod their Q8 when the Sofirn Q8 is out (the battery tube extension will make modding much more easy) . And i really hope that you will get your money back (+ profit).
Maybe someone from the Sofirn Q thread (i think we know someone :smiley: ) can do a little bit of advertising for the modboard?

Yes, the Q8 v1.5 which uses battery carriers will make it very easy to get higher voltages. Then someone like Lexel will probably make a 6v DD driver that fits. Then we will see some 50.2 conversions. Right now it’s very hard.

I am surprised that only that many have sold to be honest. I know I got 2 of them, although I have only used 1 so far.

Part of it could be lack of exposure that they are available. I didn’t even realize they were finished until some time after you had them but then I am not on BLF much these days outside of my own threads.

Do you have a test of the MZ? I had not even heard of it before now.

Does it come in Neutral tints?

Koef3 tested the MZ, even this colour temp and CRI. But L4P has a higher output bin for sale than the one tested.

Many tints and CRI are on the datasheet but if you look out for leds for sale in small quantities, the choice is limited. Mind that the MZ comes in 3V, 6V, and 12V.

Thanks for the link. This is really interesting.

Do we have any DTP mcpcb’s for this footprint yet?

I am thinking it could be a nice replacement for my EDC triple if it can be found in ~4500k tint and it does not have green in the beam.

It has the 4040 footprint, like the LuxeonV, and Led4power has a number of boards for it, including DTP boards.
Lumileds have generally nice tints that are not above the BBL. 4500K is not an option, either 4000K or 5000K. It is a quad die so in a flashlight you will have to take measures against the donut hole.

Thanks for the heads up, last I looked the only ready made mcpcb was the Q8 one.

Darn that 4500k is not an option, guess I will need to get a nice 4000k and 5000k and see what I prefer.

I am not that worried about the donut hole, I will use a beaded optic. So far they have taken care of any tint shift or beam deformities I throw at them with minimal losses as well.

You could also mix the two. Make your triple into a quad and use two of each, or decide which you like better, and use two of that and one of the other in your current triple configuration.

I just ordered two of the dual footprint Q8 boards yesterday, probably should have gotten more but to date I don’t actually have a Q8 anymore. Have one coming and will probably get another so I thought two would do me, but I’ll probably revisit that and get more. Both of the light and the boards. :wink:

I did actually buy several drivers along with the boards though. Don’t really have a plan on where to use them but how could I resist?

Is there a 20mm triple 4040 mcpcb? If so I might consider that although I am not sure that the MZ LED would work in a triple optic since the dies look to be off-center?

I have mosX 3xV: 3xMZ 20mm

I just tried it with 10507 optics, cross center is just a little bit of center vs. TIR center, but what is much more important, tir hole is smaller than die surface area, TIR opening is ~3.6mm, while die array is ~3x3mm, so part of light can't enter TIR. But since PCB is white, some of that light will eventaully get out of flashlight as flood light. More concerning is possible optics meltdown from too much optical power.

As expected, there is donut hole in center of beam with smooth TIR, frosted TIR should fix that.