Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

Thats actually a good point, the Q8 might be closer spaced them the SRK this mcpcb is based on which would make it even harder.

I fear that the trace if it would even fit would be so thin it would cause a lot of resistance and/or uneven power distribution among the LED’s.

Like I said before, it looks like the mounting holes are spaced far enough away that they could be used for the wire and then just not screw down that side of the mcpcb if someone is too lazy to drill a simple hole.

Can’t the pads be a fusion of XML and XHP?
So both types at the same place.
XHP70 would get less DTP contact but still more then no DTP.

I agree with you drilling a simple hole is not a problem. But solderboobing 4x18650 batteries is even a smaller task and even this is a challenge for people that are not firm in this area. If there is no other way then so be it! But i hope that it will not have a negative effect on the sales.

25+ amps and in excess of 12,000 lumens all in a SRK sized light without provision for the excessive heat. Interesting.

You can probably define ‘in between’ pad dimensions that will just fit both, but the slightest shift of a led will short one of the electrical pads to the central one. And mind that the leds will not self-center. It will be broddelwerk. :smiley:

I would make it like this:

• Soldering-Pads closer together and 90 degrees rotated to the wire-holes
  • Bigger LEDs
  • 2 LEDs with rotated orientation compared to the others, to make space for big traces for LED-
  • 2 Sets of holes for screws. There are 2 variants, green would have some space to the LED-Pads and blue would fit the reflector better.

Please note, that was a Pic from the first prototype with the smaler LED-Baord. So there is more space for the black traces besides the Screws now.: Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light - #3388 by Tom_E

That looks simple, entirely possible and cleverly thought-out, Wfp! The minimum trace-with of the minus side is still 5mm and it widens directly on both sides. If a parallel-only board is decided for as mostly wanted (and serial or individually addressable options less important) , this is probably it.

The 7070 thermal pad would short on the 5050 electrical pads. They can’t be combined sadly.

The issue for most when it comes to solder blobing is not the act of blobing but the lack of a soldering iron. Most people have a drill on the other hand is my thinking.

Good idea, This was discussed early on, the issue here is that the layout is not adjustable, they are always run in parallel all the time. This creates issues depending on how and what LED’s you want.

If the adjustable layout was given up them it is quite simple to setup the mcpcb but also very limiting. For example I would run the cells in 4s and the LED’s in 2s2p in the case of xhp50.2. This will cut the current needed in half and allow for more efficiency. Also with higher voltage things like buck drivers become possible, which would be really great.

At this point the best idea while maintaining the adjustable layout, I think is to simply setup the mcpcb as it is but use one of the mounting holes to feed the wire, this is the simplest option by far while still allowing full adjustability.

Simply add another hole on the other side of the ground pad and if someone wants they can drill a hole and feed the wire though it and still use the mounting hole.

Are people without solder irons the kind of people that can drill a neat hole in the right spot and camfer the edges of the holes so that the ledboard shelf stays perfectly flat? :expressionless:

Or do I underestimate those folks without irons? :person_facepalming:

Eh, I have never had an issue drilling holes, centering it is super easy, you simply install the mcpcb with the mounting screws and use it as a template to line up the drill bit. Deburring is super easy, just use a slightly larger drill bit and touch the end of the hole to smooth it out.

Although if the stock mounting hole can be used, then that fixes the issue, only those with the skills to drill a hole need worry about it.

I'm interested in 2 of whatever you all come up with. Maybe more if there is a decent compatible reflector readily available out there.

I know the product will likely be configurable for series/parallel, but I have to say hats off to the below post. Nice creative problem solving there.

I got this iron a while back as a stepping stone until I save up for proper soldering/reflow station. For price, I highly recommend it. I managed to fix couple of mouses, solder aux cords to car cd players, mod couple of lights and solder bunch of led strips. Temperature dial is mostly cosmetic and overshoots a lot, but getting the right temperature is easy enough.

I wanted to have a picture where the space between the LED pads is visible. And thats not very much space. And I would show a design for maximum possible traces.
What is the most thinkable konfiguration? Only 4P and 2S2P, or 4S too?
Perhaps we can use the XHPs in 12V config instead of 6V 2S2P. Perhaps there could be less jumper to set between 6V and 12V.

Another point could be multi-layer MCPCBs, If they are producable.

Yes, 4p, 2s2p and 4s are the most common setups and the ones that should really be supported. Others are nice but not a must do.

The pad setup changes if you try to run the XHP in 12V, it would be even harder then what we are doing now, I tried to incorporate that in my first design. It is better and easier to simpler run the LED’s in 2s2p if you want 12V (which is what I would be using unless I used a buck driver).

I have never seen a metal core mcpcb with multiple layers, I would love for that to be possible but sadly I fear it would be silly expensive to do.

interested in 1 piece.

That would be possible:

- Black: LED-Size 7070 / 5050

- Blue: Pads for 7070

- Red: Pads for 5050

- Green: combined Pads 7070 / 5050 with option for 6V / 12V

• Orange: Traces to configure with jumpers

Perhaps we do it only for 6V LEDs, but configuratable for 4P, 2S2P, 4S. This would safe some space on the MCPCB.

There wouldnt be shorts with 7070-LEDs because of the not connected 5050-pads.

That is something we could discuss and think about.

What are the clearances on those pads? They need 6 mil clearances at the least, more is better. Not sure what the limits are of the china manufacturing but 6 mils is usually the smallest you find in the USA for reasonable prices.

On top of that how thick are the traces themselves? They would appear to only be a few mils thick themselves, which is also well below the limits of most pcb manufactures and way way below what we need to handle the power we will run. Think of it like a ~28-30awg wire.

Revised the interest list. A couple of them are questionable statements of interest, but since we aint ordering from this list, it prolly don’t matter.