Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

I’m still not used to having a smart phone, forget to take pictures when I have a decent camera right there at all times. :person_facepalming:

I'm assuming the amps draw must be ~36 amps on that setup, based on the SST-40's low Vf. It's gotta be in the 9A range per LED.

Wow! The heat must be insane in just 30 secs on fresh cells, but that's the way we like it

I still don't see this project happening - no posts by the OP since June 27th, hasn't been on BLF in 4 weeks.

Any volunteers? Any ideas?

The current next step is a decent drawing with the right dimensions, hopefully with both XM and LuxeonV pads (I’m not into techical drawings myself), if it is there, TheOnlyDocc or if needed I could ask Sundy for a new quote based on the design. I’m not very confident that the offer that is mentioned in the OP is still valid.

Ahh, ok. TA was the one doing the drawings early on, back in June.

Texas_Ace?

Yeah Tom, you can feel the heat at about 8 seconds and in Turbo it’s difficult to hold onto by 22 seconds in. At 30, you’re in a big hurry to get to the switch. Was testing it last night, talking to Ricky… didn’t even have fresh cells in it. Pretty beastly but it’s a short lived monster with so much heat. :wink:

You know Ricky is drooling over it, but the M6 I built him is keeping him stoked, he’s on the prowl for the hottest cell to run that one on. I measured 13,558 on 30Q’s in his M6 (triple 70.2)

Nice! I got a bunch of 4040 16 mm boards on the way from led4power, and got the Luxeon V's in already, so hoping to attempt a Q8 mod with them.

I'm really lik'n the MT03 II's though for triple XHP70.2's - it's bout as beefy as you can get in such a small package.

I have not read anything on BLF for the last month or 2 due to lack of time, only heard about this because someone PM’ed me about it.

Mind giving me a readers digest version of what has happened and what needs to be done?

The same goes for any other threads where I have been MIA, not ignoring people, I simply didn’t read the thread.

Well, think the decision is for XM and 4040 footprints all in one super MCPCB.

SST-40's or Luxeon V's - great options. I think once we have the drawings, then it's a matter of getting a new quote,a s djozz said just above.

4040 will be tight but should fit.

Does anyone have a link to the footprint specs? I am sure I will have to make a custom footprint for it.

Anything else I should know?

Spec sheet here: https://www.lumileds.com/uploads/681/DS163-pdf

Looks like all the dims are there.

Oh, the XM footprints would also accommodate XHP50's.

Think this is your most recent: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/45996/141

Oops, maybe this, post 151: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/45996/151

Ooops, no, post #163 has the OSHPark design.

Thanks, looking at that, it will be difficult to fit the second set of footprints, the jumpers will have to be much smaller and thus have higher resistance.

Looks like the 4040 footprint is like a 3535 footprint with a larger thermal pad.

I will have to draw it out, the resistors will have to shrink for sure and there will be an issue with the centering rings clearing the resistors as well. Not sure how centering rings will be used to be honest.

Ohhh. Why do we need jumpers? Nice to have series option but if it sacrifices dual pads, not sure if this can make a prod run.

Ok, I started looking at this again and found another issue, at least based on the prior design I was working with that used messurements from the prototype Q8’s.

The second set of LED’s will not fit with the screw holes as thy are:

If the hole can be shrunk down to 3mm it will JUST clear the LED pads with no room to spare.

Does anyone have the center to center spacing on the reflector opening and screw holes so I can double check they are correct?

Led openings are laying on 23.5mm diameter, 31mm between m2.5 screw holes.

Those are the center to center measurements correct?

So M2.5, that means that a 3mm screw hole would work correct?

Although I just realized that if the 4040 pads are used, I am not sure that the 5050 pads will clear even with a 2.5mm hole. So no screws would be able to be used with the 4040 pads.

No, Im talking about reflector holes.

Even with 2.5mm screw holes and minimum tolerances for oshpark (which I have a feeling are not going to be acceptable for an mcpcb manufacture, do we know who will make these and what the manufacturing tolerances are?).

The screw holes will not clear the 5050 pads. So the mcpcb would not be able to be screwed down with the 4040 pads in use.

Even the clearance on the 4040 pads is questionable with a china pcpcb manufacture honestly.

So it looks like we would have to forgo the use of screws to mount the mcpcb if we go with a dual footprint. Will the reflector alone provide enough clamping force?

I suppose the other option is to make a dual footprint pattern although the 5050 will have a high likely hood of shorting out to the voltage pads on the 4040.

Why can’t you twist the reflector and pads 22.5 deg. against the body, so the holes are between the pads?

How did they end up mounting the reflector? I know we asked for the screws to come from the bottom and go up to the reflector but not sure how it turned out.

In first batch it is mounted just with central screw, but Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light - #15384 by Tom_E