Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

I just ordered two of the dual footprint Q8 boards yesterday, probably should have gotten more but to date I don’t actually have a Q8 anymore. Have one coming and will probably get another so I thought two would do me, but I’ll probably revisit that and get more. Both of the light and the boards. :wink:

I did actually buy several drivers along with the boards though. Don’t really have a plan on where to use them but how could I resist?

Is there a 20mm triple 4040 mcpcb? If so I might consider that although I am not sure that the MZ LED would work in a triple optic since the dies look to be off-center?

I have mosX 3xV: 3xMZ 20mm

I just tried it with 10507 optics, cross center is just a little bit of center vs. TIR center, but what is much more important, tir hole is smaller than die surface area, TIR opening is ~3.6mm, while die array is ~3x3mm, so part of light can't enter TIR. But since PCB is white, some of that light will eventaully get out of flashlight as flood light. More concerning is possible optics meltdown from too much optical power.

As expected, there is donut hole in center of beam with smooth TIR, frosted TIR should fix that.

Thanks for the test! Did you take a lumen measurement with it by chance?

I wounder if the optic was drilled out like they used to do for the XP-L if it would work better?

I actually prefer the 10511 optic myself in my EDC, I think they should get rid of the dark spot.

What tint options do you have on the MZ LED’s right now?

This was just bench test to check the beam,sorry no lumen output.

IHMO, drilling TIR hole is not good idea,this is crucial part of any TIR optics, if hole surface is not mirror smooth,light will not refract nicely anymore. More potential damage than gain.

I currently have 5700K 90CRI version, R flux bin (1 or 2 bins higher than Mouser's reel according to Maukka's measurements).

Yeah, I have never been a fan of drilling myself but in this case it could help eliminate the dark spot I figure and improve the lumen uptake into the optic, so might be worth it.

I never ordered mine since I never received the confirmation e-mail after registering on led4power.com and as I hadn’t much time for modding at the time, I gave up.
I tried with different email addresses with different web-browsers today, same problem.

I really would like to order several others thing from L4P now that I have more time. I just need a few days to prioritize a couple of mods that I’m going to make first from the dozen I would like to do.

EDIT : was able to complete the registration process :slight_smile:

I voiced interest in one of these boards with the plan of doing a SST-40 and/or a Luxeon V mod. I’d still like to, but the increased availability of high-CRI NW 3535 emitters with decent output cooled my interest in low CRI builds somewhat, and a quad Luxeon MZ is a little outside my current budget :).

I still plan to order one or two (if still available), once I figure out a larger order with a driver or two and a perhaps some emitters.

FWIW, Ledil has some optics specified for use with the MZ. Unfortunately, the only multi-emiter options are on a square grid.

just ordered 2 :slight_smile:

Is there any modding I need to do to thr blf q8 light for xhp50.2?

Yes, convert the battery and driver to 6v. Sofirn will be releasing their new battery tube and carriers soon. Those can be converted to 6v, then you just need a 2S driver.

thanks for the quick reply Jason.
No need to drill out the reflector?

I don’t know, but you might. The reflector opening is pretty big and the stock centering rings are wide. If you bought some skinny 5x5 centering rings you might not have to drill. I would be prepared to open the reflector holes up if I were doing this conversion.

That sounds more relaxed to me than may be appropriate. Using the XHP50.2 in the Q8 involves a lot of modding, you need the battery tube with battery carrier, you need to mod the carrier (=4P) to 2S2P, you need a new driver, you need to get the centering of the leds right. Are you up to all that?

I certainly wouldn’t “drill” the reflector openings, too easy to chip off the mirror plating. I ream the opening out carefully by hand using a small pair of scissors. It’s kind of like a slow motion manual human lathe scenario. :wink:

And yes, I’ve been looking at doing just this mod and it’s quite extensive to pull off. Realistically if you use the promised long tube with 18650’s you take a chance on blowing bond wires. Also there’s a substantial heat issue, so that too needs to be looked into and dealt with.

First of all if I was to get one of these https://led4power.com/product/luxeon-mz-5000k-90cri-led-lmz9-qw57-38mm-blf-q8-copper-dtp-direct-thermal-path-mcpcb/

Is it a direct replacement on the Q8?

And is it a cooler tint to the original Q8

yikes… now everything is coming back… as you mentioned xhp50.2 mod is extensive, to much for me at this time. thanks for the advice. going to try sst40 first.

fluke, it’s almost a direct replacement. the original mcpcb has two more holes for small long screws that come in from the driver bay and go through the mcpcb into the reflector itself. The center screw holds the reflector snug down onto the mcpcb but these 2 outer screws keep the whole assembly from rotating and ensure the reflectors 4 aperture’s line up with the emitters… LED4POWER’s boards don’t have the holes for these 2 screws.

I had too less time recently for modding and I am on the list.
I am waiting for some emitters in your stock and some C8 parts. Than I will order my Q8 Boards.
I have some Q8 but they are all unmodded, i have changed nothing yet, but I will do. Especialy in my Q8’s from the first 500.