Q8 modding

I was about to solder blobs on my VTC6, but before I did I checked if they actually make connection…and they did. :slight_smile:

Yes Mostly Samsung makes no contact but Sony and others are making contact on such flashlights.

The concern on those flat tops that make contact without a solder blob is that the turning action against the brass ring could possibly cut the wrap and expose more of the positive top than it can bear, giving a chance of shorting the cell against a screw.

My button top Samsung 30q's work fine. We have hand very good luck finding and purchasing quality original Cells.

Yes, and yes. Finally getting some good leads though.

It has a candle flicker mode now too, but it still needs some tweaking. It seems a bit too spastic. I simulated it as a 3-oscillator synth with randomly-advanced time steps per oscillator and a sample&hold waveform modulating the frequency of one of the oscillators. If that makes any sense to anyone. It acts like a candle in a breeze, but the breeze seems a little too strong and too steady.

Also need to adapt the lightning thing to emulate a broken kyber crystal, but that’s for a different project.

I, for one, am very happy with Candlelight and Lightning. Thank you very much! :smiley:

Working on a diffuser for the Q8 so the Candlelight looks more realistic for long hot bath’s and a glass of… well, moonshine of course! :wink:

You drink moonshine from a glass? I don’t know whether to accuse you of being too cultured or uncultured! It’s kinda like eating pizza with a knife and fork.

Moonshine, real moonshine, comes in a Mason jar and is drunk directly from said Mason jar as it is passed around. At least that is how it is done in WV when I visit my friends there.

The brass screws I bought from this seller on Ebay arrived yesterday. They were a bit oily but without cracks and with nice clean treads.

A couple of crappy foggy beamshots taken with my phone :

XP-L HI 5A3( left image) XP-L HD 3D (right image)

I don’t know if it has been mentioned here but Kaidomain sells a 55mm(D) x 3mm(T) Multi-Layer AR Coated Lens for the Q8 :

Has anyone tried making a switch ring removal tool by pressing some epoxy putty agaist the switch. You’d need some plastic wrap between the epoxy putty and the light and have to do some trimming after. Embed a handle or an old 1/4” drive socket to turn it with. ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLF-Q8-5000LM-Professional-Multiple-Operation-Super-Bright-LED-Flashlight-Torch/172979905622?hash=item284667e456:g:-xoAAOSwlptaCtj1

Anybody know what's up with these less-expensive Q8's on ebay? Are they just fakes and clones?

the first groupbuy was 40$, now with code 48.5$

so 55$ on Ebay is not so bad if you want it

If you get what’s on the pictures: looks genuine to me.

MtnDon, my cousin made this and yes, I got it in a quart size Mason jar. :wink:

In the Blue Ridge Mtns they like to dump some in season fruit into the jar and then add the moonshine. Some sugar is usually added too. I prefer it with as little sugar as can be. Soak for a couple months and it has great flavor with real kick. I’ve made it using Everclear, the closest thing to real moonshine. Tastes better when non-taxed. :wink:

Dex cooks his still over a mesquite fire, I think he adds a few bits of the mesquite into the pot for color, it’s really quite good. He says he tested it at 80 proof but it acts more 140! :slight_smile:

I know, I know, how does this all relate to modding the Q8, well….it puts us in the mood! :smiley:

Not for the Switch retaining ring but I have done the same for Carclo Quad optic. Embedded a screw to hold in a drill. Use it to spin optic while running over a file to make it smaller. Turned out pretty good and close enough to True for what I wanted to accomplish, taking off 2mm from OD to fit into S41 went easy and used it for several. I used Steel Stix putty and silicone oil while it set to release,… Looks crude but it worked.

I used to use the 3M adhesive tape they apply logo’s onto a car’s body, stick it to a 1/2” piece of aluminum or a bolt, spin it up in the drill and pull it off the adhesive when done.

Before flashlights, I tried taxidermy.

I got fired.

Hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaha :smiley: