Q8 modding

Just remove the bezel. And marvel at the lens.

On the topic of BLF Q8 aftermarket upgrades, I received these yesterday.

The MCPCBs are top notch, and are thhhick. They are the original Q8 MCPCBs, so that was to be expected.

And the body tube+tailcap? Lubed from the factory, and the tailcap is perfect. In fact, it actually came in better condition than my stock Q8’s tube.

Ok lens is replaced, was really easy.

I also got my upgrade lens yesterday, I removed the stock lens using masking tape as a handle and lifting it off, had trouble installing the upgraded lens because the O-ring seems to be a little shorter than the diameter of the reflector assembly, it finally stretched to size and seated properly when screwing down the bezel. I like the new lens!

Where did you guys get your lens? Sofirn, KaiDomain, or somewher else??

I ordered here http://kaidomain.com/p/S027343.55mm-x-3mm-Multi-Layer-AR-Coated-Lens
on June the 12th.
IMO the lens is from great quality especially for the price.

Thank you for that info Spiderlight!! :+1:

I purchased there too, looks very high quality!

Thanks for the reply & info Alex… it is appreciated. :+1:
Two good reports, I’ll order from there also then…… :wink:

Although I am content with the factory setup, I’ll have to start creating a list of mods found here that I can do with limited tools I have on hand.

On BLF, some BLF project lights are as good as it can be for the price…. however, good is never good enough for some of you guys and it can always be improved… thanks for sharing your mods and how to perform them. :+1:

Does anyone know what the reflector hole sizes are? I want to order extra gaskets in case I screw up while reaming the stock gaskets. I can’t find my callipers to measure properly.

I have not a Q8 opened at the moment but from what I remember the reflector opening is an unusual size and I could not find fitting gaskets for them. (but with some extra searching you may find them). But if you do screw up the gaskets what also works is reaming the reflector hole a bit so that one of the common gaskets will fit.

Okay that’s plan B then. At least spare reflectors are available on AliExpress in case I end up screwing up the reflector. Thanks djozz

As I remember, it is something between 5 and 7mm. Something near 6mm or 6,2mm.
But thats only what I remember, I dont know if I am right.

It is 6,5mm for shure.

Thank you…

Hi guys,

Got my Q8 a couple of days ago and i have to say, impressive lil popcan!
ran it a few days whilst reading this tread and looking for various improvement options….
I have done the tailcap bypassing thus far….

View post on imgur.com

I am now looking into LED options…
I’m THINKING i’d like to lean towards a HCRI option, anyone know what N219b/c look like when in this host? is the heat a bigger issue? not that i plan to run this on turbo constantly, i’d prefer to have a higher quality of light. i know i’ll take a cut in Lms, anyone have a loss #s?

TIA all!
-Fritz

BLF member djozz put some 219C emitters in a Q8 modded into a lantern. He posted details and numbers here.

A couple reddit posts feature Nichia swapped Q8s.

Here’s a 219C and here’s another.

Spring bypasses might not be good with Nichias. djozz actually used longer emitter wires to increase resistance.

Have you thought about going for Samsung LH351D 4000K 90CRI emitters?

I have them on order so don’t know how they will perform but from what I understand they should be much better than the XP-L’s in tint, CRI and the output should be higher than Nichia’s.

I have a Q8 with Samsung LH351D 4000K 90CRI leds and it is a totally worthy upgrade, only a limited amount of light is lost compared to stock, but still over 4000 lm is leftover. And now it has great tint and CRI, and the beam is very good too.

Awesome, djozz. How’s the heat of the LH351D’s on turbo in the Q8?