Q8 modding

Please indulge us! :slight_smile:

I have not really checked and also did not measure the current, but I have not noticed a change. I reckon because the voltage is not much different from the XP-L, the current and heat will also be quite similar to stock.

In that case I’m really looking forward to the LH351D’s!

FritzHID, it seems that the group buy of the Samsung emitters has closed… No idea where one can source the LH351D 4000K 90CRI from now.

Led4Power has some LH351D 4000K 90CRI in stock. Pm him :wink:

Djozz, did you bypass the Q8 with LH351D?

I did not bypass the springs in this one but did use thick phosfor-bronze springs with one-third of the resistance of the stock springs.

djozz, where did you source the phosfor-bronze springs from? I see they don’t retain their original length after the first compression. I also want to install them as long as they retain good spring tension om the cells.

Those were from a small batch that I had made a few years ago by an Amsterdam spring company, most I resold on BLF at cost price, and I kept a few for own use. They are mechanically way better than those small phosfor-bronze springs that you find here and there in chinese shops.

well guys, i broke down and bought a 2nd Q8 and tonight i swapped the emitters to N219, reassembled the light and when i screwed the batt tube back it, the light came on full tilt… no switch response other then glowing green and flashing when pressed but no change in the output… anyone come across this before?

Perhaps the negative solder joint on the emitter board is shorting against the reflector?

well, That WAS an issue, i thought maybe that was it just after i wrote that post… well… corrected that and now… it stays on moonlight when connected, ramps up and down but won’t shut off. :confused:

Hmm, I don’t know what might cause that. I’m sure some folks will chime in with advice.

In the meantime, how do you like the Nichias in the Q8?

well… as always, i LOVE the tint and cri but right now, i think they are actually a tad overdriven… they were starting to smoke slightly on turbo… glad i had the lens off for that test!!!
i’m really disturbed by that, i’m hoping i didn’t cook the driver (tho i can’t see how since it was essentially bypassed for the 1st error and seems to be functioning other then not turning off.

Are they 219C or B?

That smoke might be excess flux on the board or on the LEDs’ domes. It sometimes splatters onto the emitters during reflowing or while resoldering the wires. A speck of flux on the LED will heat up and damage it.

I clean the emitters and around the wires’ solder joints with alcohol and cotton swabs after soldering. The alcohol won’t harm the LEDs, but be gentle and don’t press too firmly.

oh my yes… thoroughly cleaned with dent alch and then rinsed with DI water… nothing left on the board or domes… i’m very picky about that kinda stuff… but was only 1 emitter from what i could tell. not that any of that matters if i can’t turn it off. lol
These are B emitters.

Are they the R9080 219Bs?

I just put four 4500K R9080s in an Emisar D4. I’ve been keeping out of turbo but have used it a few times in very short bursts.

I wonder if mine are smoking and I can’t see it through the optics… :smiley:

be wary, if your reflectors look foggy then yes, they are smoking! lol
i’d have to go back and look at which bin i bought… got 300 from a CPF member once the new gen of HCRI LEDs came out…
used them in 2 S41 lights and have had no issues since install, even on endurance runs… but they don’t pack the same wattage the Q8 does.

i’m actually tempted to throw her in turbo with no lens (MAYBE no reflector tho that will reduce heatsinking) and let her run and see what happens… i have plenty of LEDs to spare. i COULD put the stock chips back in and see if they behave… kinda wishing i had a 2nd MCPCB to experiment with rather then reflowing over and over.

You can buy the one here

Nope, thats not me.