Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

add me please jamaya

Hmm for some reason I have in my head that it will do 2K lumens continuously but of course it is depending on ambient temps.

Yes will update list later

2K lumens can be handled fine by the Q8, but it will become too hot to hold eventually (takes 10 minutes or more).

Btw, I just measured the throw of my Q8 proto for the first time (Tom did that before fkr his prototype) and at 5800 lumen output I get 61 kcd throw. I just realised that that is more than what the good old Jacob A60 did in the old days with an XR-E pencil beam, the poor A60 is overthrown by brutal lumens! :slight_smile:

Btw2, I did quite some assemble/disassemble cycles with the Q8, even soldered in a new driver (from Lexel, to check it out for him), and I get the impression the way the hardware is designed, the Q8 can be modded over and over again without any part of the body really wearing out much. The chunky-ness of the body that so nicely helps spreading the heat also makes the Q8 a pleasure to work on.

For those without calculators, that’s 494 meters.

Thanks for the explanation Jason, is there some sort of basic calculation/conversion for that?

• The throw distance, by convention, is the distance at which the light level has dropped to 0.25 lux (which is quite low btw, many people do not see much at that light level).
  • The kcd number is the light level at 1 meter distance (usually measured further away than 1 meter but calculated back)
  • you can calculate one from the other once you know that the light level drops by the square of the distance from the light source.

So to get back from 61,000 lux to 0.25 lux your light level has to drop by a factor 244,000. The distance increase at which that happens is the root of that, so 494 times further away from the light source. Because the 61klux was the light level at 1 meter that is 1 meter times 494 = 494 meter.

Can you please add me to the list with 2 pieces: 2 x BLF Q8

A picture to enlighten the waiting time during production... We do not get much information from Thorfire but I hope for a big pile of great Q8's :-)

Thanks for the useful explanation Jos!

+1 on both accounts! This is why quads fair well in throw compared to triples, even though the reflectors are much smaller - one more reflector, and more total output. Great light to mod! Once we solved the glued driver, things are wayyy better for modding, servicing, plus lots of space to work with.

Another waiting picture: this is The Miller pointing a BLF-GT at you. And you all thought he was actually human? :disappointed:

(ok, I’m officially bored)

FWIW, I have it on good authority that there isn’t a right way and a wrong way to pet a cat — they’re both wrong. Because you’re not supposed to pet the cat, you’re supposed to massage the cat.

I think the cat would agree.

Surely, I’m not the only one who speaks Cat?

Most cats think humans are dumb as bricks because they don’t even understand simple messages like “Stop paying attention to that silly pixel box and do some imaginative difficult hand work… on my back.”

That sounds quintessentially Justin.

I think part of that (like his username) comes from being around too long — a lack of illusions about one’s self and the world. It is what it is, and there’s no point dancing around it.

Of course that can go the other way too — some people collect too many illusions over time, even delusions, losing touch with reality.

Or in my case, both. A few delusions now and then can help the centuries roll by.

Anyway, thanks for the exemplary stories. He was probably too hard on himself.

It’s too bad he’s not around to ask, but I get the impression he might not like having an award named after him. It doesn’t seem like his style.

That’s about the same as a full moon.

The difference being that a full moon spreads the light evenly, wheras if you are holding a flashlight with some spill, your night vision will be destroyed by the brightness up close, and the throw figures are meaningless since you will definitely not be able to see anything that far, unless you are pointing where the spill doesn’t contact anything up close, like over a cliff, or straight up at a low flying aircraft whose pilot you are trying to blind.

Boy, that's a pessimist's view. How bout a pilot you are trying to signal? I've used reflector throwers in open fields, and I sure don't get blinded by the spill, but 200 meter tree lines sure do get lit up like daylight - that's very practical to me.

candela (kcd = 1,000 candela) is simply a measurement standard, not like you want to use moonlight level to light up on object 1,000 to 2,000 meters away, but at 200-400 meters, you can clearly see wildlife lit up well.

My comments were in the context of the discussion about the amount of light at the rated throw distance, being equivalent to moonlight.

I fully understand that even a floody beam if powerful enough can be useful at throw distances, but the more spill it has, the less meaning its rated maximum throw distance has, because your eyes won’t be able to pick anything out that dim after exposure to the flood.

The pilot comment was meant to be humorous btw, I’m sure pilots everywhere will breathe a sigh of relief when the landscape below them at night is filled with Q8 reviewers, it’s the GT guys they will have to watch out for, they will expect flak when they see those beams waving around.

Some curious GT owners inspecting aircraft

ClaudeMBallz wrote: My goodness, this is a moving fast…… gotta do me some reading n try tu catch up.
ROOKIE! Welcome to the madhouse. Wait until the thread title changes and watch the posts fly by.

Check out the GT thread if you want to see fast moving – though it’s not exactly riveting conversation right now.
xxxxxxxxxx
rookie??? Im a guessin I am sir…… very new to all this stuff. seems like a nice place though.

pssst, if the local airport knows this they confiscate your GT because its as blinding as laserpointers if you are seen outside with it