Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Dutch Power Cows?? I’m not a Tweaker, not even a tech guy even though I’m dutch. I can tell you about plant species, butterflies and small insects, and immunofluorescence microscopy, (and since BLF, a thing or two about measuring light). Speaking of insects, how about a Q8 logo featuring a firefly? (firefly mode included!) :slight_smile:

Cool Tom, option 3 it is!
And just how sweet can Narsil get, that is the question!

heheh Djozz, not another poll over the logo :wink:
DPC was/is a distributed computing team, those guys are high ranking considering the small user base.

Looks like an impreactical logo to me :smiley:

Ahhh, Hey, I resemble that remark!

For a 0.1 lumens output at the lowest, firefly may be a good nickname.

How about Miller-fire Fly Ray King! :crown:

Ummm… NO! Not the Fly Ray King! Speaking of lightning bugs. This past weekend we must have had a convention in our meadows, there had to be millions of lightning bugs within sight. Sat a chatted with an old friend around a small fire, drank beer, watched lightning bugs and played with flashlights… Life was good!

I really like the looks of option 3 as well.

Ahh - fires, flies, big apes, and beers aside (well maybe not the beer...), here's a great post from TK: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34900/658, I'lll include verbatim here. This is what we are doing in Narsil:

Yeah, phase-correct mode on tiny25/45/85 is pretty awesome. It runs at precisely 15.6 kHz with nearly zero variation between units, it has none of the side effects of “fast” PWM, it’s fast enough to be invisible during use, and only a tiny slice of the population can hear it.

The main downsides are that it’s not quite beyond human hearing range, and it requires running the MCU at 8 MHz instead of under-clocking for lower power. I’d prefer 10 MHz / 19.5 kHz instead, but that’s not really an option with current hardware.

The common nanjg 4.5 kHz PWM is both audible and visible during normal use.

Probably should mention the PWM rate in the OP - good info, and I'm sure people would ask.

The A6 uses a 13A MCU, so it's a different PWM rate. In moon mode, the A6 is at 9.4 kHz (phase-correct), while all the in-between modes are at 18.75 kHz. The 18.75 kHz rate is using the "FAST" mode for PWM's.

Sorry, dunno bout the effect on video cameras...

Best I can tell from looking at the source code (ToyKeeper/bistro/, fuse settings here), she also uses Phase-Correct exclusively, and she's using a MCU clock of 8 Mhz, so should be 15.6 kHz PWM as well. Dunno if I got the idea from her, or I came to the conclusion independently, to dump the use of FAST mode for PWM's. All good, either way.

It has a name BLF Q8
:smiley:

I do not see any flicker in the video Tom made :wink:

With that video you made it…
Never wanted a soup (or beer) can light.
But that ramping is just awesome!

Count me in for one, please!
:beer:

The SRK style light in general seems like an impractical, bulky, odd looking light, but actually is pretty darn handy. It can fit in a jacket pocket, has plenty of runtime on lower modes with it's 4 cells, it's clearly a great tail stander, can run on 1 to 4 cells actually, has decent throw when running in the high amp range, and a simple but what seems to be a pretty solid, easy to use side button, when carried typically down near your hip. The BLF Q8 should just build on those advatanges with adding improved heat sinking, and of course lot more power than stock SRK's.

My favorite set of cells for these is 4 Samsung 30Q button tops, unprotected of course, but thinking of buying a set of 4 SANYO GA button tops. You lose a little in top end power, but gain some runtime.

That impractical and bulky thing was, what I always had in mind.
Never even had one in my hands, either.

But I’ll give it a try.

And thanks for the effort from all of you!

I like the LG MJ1 better than the Sanyo GA, but I use 30Q’s in my M6

The possibility of using 1, 2, 3 OR 4 cells safely is what got me in the first place.
And I really like the feeling of those thick tubes.

I like #3 best as well.

I don’t think the pause needs to be too long. Maybe only a third or quarter of a second. Just long enough to be able to repeatably release when on moon.

I’m just thinking about my acebeam H10, it has a 2 second delay to turn on or off. Those two seconds are agonizingly long when I just need get some usable light quickly.

I like it. My thought on it was:
●From off a long press goes to moonlight
●From off a quick click takes you to your last used mode in the ramping sequence. Once on press and hold begins the ramping
●From on or off a double click takes you to the highest mode.

I don’t know how hard it would be to program that but it gives you plenty of options and direct access to everything without accidentally picking the wrong mode.

Comments Below:

I like it. My thought on it was:

●From off a long press goes to moonlight

--> Yes, that's the plan now (option #3), but it will only pause at moon, giving you a chance to release the button to stay on moon

●From off a quick click takes you to your last used mode in the ramping sequence. Once on press and hold begins the ramping

--> Yes, already does that and will keep it that way

●From on or off a double click takes you to the highest mode. I don't know how hard it would be to program that but it gives you plenty of options and direct access to everything without accidentally picking the wrong mode.

--> Right now, it only works from OFF, but also I'd like to change that for ON as well

I guess the way I reading it before I wasn’t understanding it but if that’s how it works then wonderful! I really like what is happening with this light.

Yes that Narsil is nice, especially the choice people get.
Like choice!

Hi,

i just saw the Video of the ramping ...

I´m in for one :CROWN: (If Thorfire is the manufacturer)

Regards Kenjii