Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

You have a reflector versus a TIR lens. The reflector is going to give you a tighter hotspot with a much brighter spill lighting. The MF 01 has a larger hotspot but it’s spill lighting is very weak. I personally prefer reflector based lights because I’m usually walking outside at night when I’m using them so the brighter spill lighting really helps to illuminate everything off to the left and the right as well as on the ground in front of me. I don’t get that with TIR lens lights, instead I have to wave them around a lot just to see everything around me.

Tom, as you know, I am of the same view as Flashy Mike on this, the root cause of the Q8 shutting down when a bump of sufficient magnitude momentarily disconnects the cells is because the MCU very soon loses all power (possibly even in as little as a few 10s of microseconds, but my analysis took no account of the other capacitor in the circuit, the voltage level at which the main LEDS stop drawing current, etc. etc.), then re-boots, leaving the torch turned off.

I did a very rough analysis at Q8 modding - #678 by Tom_Tom

I have enquired behind the scenes for more accurate information about the MCU current drain, to improve the analysis, but to-date none has been forthcoming.

I think that Flashy Mikes addition of e.g. 100 uF holdup to the MCU is the correct engineering solution, and something that could easily be done by someone wishing to eliminate this problem.

I also recognise that strengthening the springs will also improve, but possibly not completely eliminate it.

In the Q8, as supplied, it appears to be consistently reproducible. Improving or eliminating it, for those who consider it to be of concern, e.g. those who rely on their torches in outdoor use, requires modification, either to springs, or electronics.

For many, perhaps most, it will not be a concern. For those of us for whom it very much does matter, modification can fix it, and the modding thread is the best place to discuss that.

I should mention that this is not a unique issue, I have other SRKs which do exactly the same thing, it is a consequence of the cells having springs only at one end, as in many other torch designs. The positive connection requires solid contact between solid metal surfaces, so will inevitably be interrupted by a sufficient shock at the tail, as with any other torch with only one spring. Ensuring the electronics carry on operating through this, is best addressed in the circuit design.

I would please suggest that further discussion of it be carried on in the modding thread.

Consider it a “feature” of the Q8 in unmodified condition.

Astrolux MF01 219C Nichia version uses CRI 90 emitters.

showerhead, chuckle, good description

Do you have any kind of source for that information? There’s no mention of CRI on the listing so I expect them to be the regular 80 CRI kind for more lumens. Of course, the Q8 was measured at 70 CRI so it’s still a point in favor of the MF01.

it was tested by Maukka here is the link to the post In fact it is CRI 92 according to the test.

Just received my light.
I’m not very active anymore here and also not as flashoholic as I used to be, but very impressed with the light.
Very nice light, and well job team! Glad I bought one.

Good to hear!

That’s a slick site. I am book marking that one.

I wonder if we might could use some simple nickname for the second batch of lights (Q8* maybe?) so when they start coming in and being discussed we will know the difference. This assumes there is some fairly obvious visual difference (like screw heads).

The recent version with the extra flat buttons is a little less than 67 mm long.

I understand buddy, priorities…… just wanted to make sure you were still kickin’.

Yeah, you better keep the ‘wifey’ happy…. cause if she ain’t happy, nobody is. :wink:

Good luck with the 2YO too… sounds like your gonna need it. :smiley:

Well just looked at mine in more detail
Screws look good, switch LEDs are even and working.
Their shouldn’t be a lot to tell this apart from the second that is in transit.

mine says shipped 9/29 with fedex, label created, tracks on fedex website fine, but its been a week with no movement after label has been created ?

IF you are in the USA (Lower 48) & have a 20 digit Tracking Number…… try THIS .

Hi,

I just received my second q8 :wink: this one is from the 2nd batch and I must say it is better finished/cleaner inside
The screws are different and not stripped this time

The led in the switch is a bit dimmer though but uniformly lit (but my first one was also)

The original is better aligned and is easier to screw thatn the second one.

Once the 3rd one comes ill try and make comparison shots

Drop your tracking number here…https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/

In transit…
Departed FedEx location
FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA
Ship date:
Wed 10/04/2017
ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA US
Scheduled delivery:
Tue 10/10/2017 by end of day
OXNARD, CA US

I was notified on 9-28-17 from BG.

I am about an 11/2 from Rowland Heights so it should probably get here sooner than the 10th.

> some simple nickname for the second batch of lights (Q8* maybe?)

Q8.1?

There should be some quick-look way to tell them apart — maybe the screw heads differ?

If you read my post they are different :wink: Perhaps I wasnt clear enough. The heads are less flat