Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Mine finally arrived today. Just a quick glance and it must be 2nd batch.

If things slow down at work I will dig deeper.

Overall it looks great...Ready to start modding...

Hey All, what diffuser has worked the best thus far for the Q8. Im looking into buying one and want one that can be used for a camping/ party situation.

That’s definitely something the Miller should look into because it sounds like a legit issue. No one has ever reported this behavior, either.

You might try a factory reset and see if it continues.

I’m sure the Miller will be along soon.

Quick Question about the battery check mode.

When I put in fully charged batteries, and engage battery check (triple click), it flashes 4 times. Shouldnt it Flash 4 times, then once or twice more, since the voltage would be 4.1 or 4.2 ?

I’ve never seen it indicate more than 4V or less than 3V for that matter …… How is the battery check feature implemented?

This is in ramping mode, right?

That’s pretty odd. You can see how it should work in this video at the 5:25 mark.

With fully charged cells it should blink out 4 then 2 long pause and repeat.

It looks like the Fenix AOD-L diffuser fits, some pictures here: BLF Q8: Mini-review with X-Ray Image and Diffuser

Thanks sherbona. Winder how it compares to this one.

I have tested dozens of things to use as diffusers for the SRK style sized lights, and the best thing that seems to work so far out of all of them is a tapered frosted plastic drink pup. Sadly the Q8 don’t have any lanyard holes in the tail cap to add a lanyard or paracord to allow it to hang like a lantern from trees or hooks, so table standing is really the only option with this light (unless we wad some paracord around its body.) Most tail-standing flashlights in general with a full frosted diffuser makes a horrible lantern due to the glare and up-firing beam for table-standing outdoors. ( believe me have tested this on our week-long expeditions) Indoors its best to just do a ceiling-bounce to illuminate a room, but outdoors i use dedicated lanterns for haning in trees or tents.

An L shaped piece of flat metal could be used, just needs 2 holes drilled, one so it can be screwed on to the tripod mount, and one at centre of gravity, so It will hang straight down from that point. Could be a 5 minute project if you have off-cuts and tools.

EDIT - Actually this is even more versatile, since the hole will remain at centre of gravity in one plane even if the Q8 is tilted, it can be hung with a hook to point at any angle, just mount the hook through the tail end of the L piece with a wing nut to tighten at the desired horizontal angle, then tighten the tripod mount end at the desired angle to vertical, testing orientation hanging from a finger first. Now you can hang it over a branch to point directly at your camp-site or wherever desired.

Guess what the mail van delivered

Cheers David

With the spray painted lid on this, now only in grey so not even reflective (this will be shiny metal color spray paint at some point in the future, when I remember getting a can :slight_smile: )I really like how this big diffuser works and looks.
Most of the light goes sideways, we had itin the center of tables and with the NW tint it is not like a flame, but the shape still gives it a lantern look and even distribution via the frosted diffuser means nobody gets blinded. Really like this.
Do remember, this pic was with a cool white flashlight

Someone posted a picture a few pages back of a Q8 with Lanyard, they seem to have tied it around the main body using paracord - I planned to experiment with that option, I did wonder if you could make a loop over the tail cap to hang it dead vertical.

Need a Q8 first - but no rush it will be here when it arrives…

A tailcap suitable for tripod hole is much thicker.
Would be cool to do the DBSAR lantern with a tailcap like that, I can see a nice set to play with if the QT gets made.
Two type of tails, flat and thick
Three types of tubes, 18350, 18650 and 2*18650 series
Three heads, Q8, QT and lantern

Miller, did you see posts 15399 and 15405? Some strange stuff going on there.

Finally broke down and tracked my two, against our feariess leader’s advice. Supposed to be getting one today and one tomorrow. We will see.

Another report about a Q8 from the new batch …

Today I received my last ordered light, and have to say it’s perfectly built!
Flawless anodisation, perfect screws from tail to reflector, leds well centered, threads well greased, one main LED aligned with the switch, equally bright switch leds, smooth tube edge (where it contacts the driver). The main led wires are shorter than in the 1st batch, and I could measure a current increase of about half an Ampere compared to a 1st batch light.

This light is too beautiful to use it everyday, I should put it on the shelf for the next years …

Well done, Thorfire and Q8-team!

Nice post Flashy Mike!

Exciting blinker, soon it will be blaster :smiley:

Yeah Jason, some questions about basic operation and tired brains, so I wait till post 2 is read DBSAR is a bit rested, then we’ll see what is going on, besides he is very handy so surely will check a bit deeper under the hood :wink:

I've only seen fully charged cells blink 4 and 1, or 4 and 2. Depends on your charger, because pretty much all chargers are spec'd to 4.20V +/- 0.05, so a full charge can be to 4.15V or 4.25V and still be in their rated specifications (I Do Not Like This At All!). So if your charger is on the low end, and if your Q8 happens also to be on the low side for whatever reason, like variations in the driver parts,slightly higher voltage drops, etc., then maybe a ~4.12V reads and blinks out as 4 and 0.

Can't recall details, but I do believe the Q8/NarsilM configuration does read a little low, so 4.18V will blink out as 4 and 1 for example, not rounded up.

Also, do not trust battery voltage readings from these chargers that display it. When I got my first OPUS BT 3100, a 4.20V cell on the DMM read it at about 4.13V - even out of their own specs, but not by much.

My 30Q blink 4 of 4.1 but my protected NL189 Nitecore (protected) blink 3.9 max) is that normal? I cant get more in

Well you're either using a magic voltmeter or you're reading the 1.1V internal reference as a fraction of Vcc. But that reference is only specced at 1.0 to 1.2V at 25C as stated on page 167 of the datasheet. I've had good luck with this method, but if you go by the spec sheet, then there's no reason to expect it, and I thought I've read elsewhere that experiences generally confirm that range.

Narsil is loaded with features I haven't found yet, so maybe have to find that feature to place in a 4.2V battery and select recalibrate?