Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Got a report from a friend the nylon pouch's listed here: https://www.banggood.com/Outdoor-Camping-Hiking-Bag-Water-Bottle-Bag-Kettle-Pouch-p-993966.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

will melt the nylon top and burn thru the tie string with a Q8 on max or close to it, sitting in the pouch tail down. Something I didn't think about really - maybe this nylon doesn't hold up well to decent amounts of heat, which of course the Q8 can produce?

When he got the Q8, I showed him the lock-out methods, told him about storing it locked out, but he forgot once. He had it in his car, noticed smoke. He said it was just a minute or two - not sure if it can happen that quick - maybe? He thinks he accidentallt switch on the light when putting it in the pouch. I got the melted pouch, it's a black one. There's not a lot of damage - just melted spots on the upper material that holds the draw string, then there's the draw string which melted enough to break it on both sides.

When I use these, I always store the Q8 head down in it - not sure if that would help, but sure would be nice to know a pouch is non-flammable.

I gave him one of the army surplus smoke grenade pouch's from wrabiitsurplus (eBay) to keep - I'd think it would hold up better to heat, but doubt he's gonna do that again.

Also got in one of these today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-Gear-Single-1-Smoke-Grenade-Pouch-Coyote-Tan. Little pricey at $12 shipped but fits the Q8 perfectly, sits pretty deep - maybe 1/2 the tail cap sticks out of the pocket, so pretty deep.

Also got this one on order: https://www.ebay.com/itm/900-pcs-of-Blackhawk-BH-37CL14CT-smoke-grenade-pouch-in-coyote-tan. Cheaper at $8 shipped, and appears to be a good size based on the dollar bill comparison, but haven't gotten it yet.

Well, not completely, a pencil trace is a resistor, and about the right amount too. Obviously give or take, but it worked out. It's not 100% clear the resistor being gone was the manufacturer's fault, and I know there's sensitivity to that kind of thing, so let's just leave it that all's well that ended well.

Oh and if you just happen to want to make your indicator brighter, adding some pencil trace on or around (bypassing) the resistor(s) should do the trick for that too. If I ever get around to making a tool to take my button off I may try it to balance mine. I think my version should have two resistors as I understand it.

Could someone skilled in firmware for the Q8 (with time on their hands and an urge to help) please create a firmware set that requires minimal understanding of the space time relationships of the standard firmware.

While the Q8 is a wonderful thing to the hard core flashlight people; it is not good for someone that just wants the light to work with a limited subset of Narsil that is intuitively usable to innocent bystanders.

If this is being dealt with in another thread, I would appreciate the link.

I do not think I will be able to use this as time goes on (like maybe the week after getting a magnification device to read the instructions). It will be completely incomprehensible to someone you hand it to in an emergency. My key parameter. Sudden blinking and incantations required to operate the light are really really not intuitive.

If I am going out into the property (or from the deck, window, etc.) to investigate some noise or other activities, I DO NOT WANT THE LIGHT TO INADVERTENTLY BLINK WHEN I AM TRYING TO USE IT. Think - wow, look at that target.

Just reading through the last few hundred posts for help rather supports the unsuitability for civilians. One point 2 seconds - Riiggght!

Out of the 2K+ sold (and particularly lights sold initially and afterwards to civilians), I suspect they will simply be unable to effectively use the light.

Do you have a Q8? If not, give it a try first; it’s pretty straightforward by default. Click to turn on/off, hold to change brightness. That’s all one needs to know.

If you have one and want it to be simpler, the RampingIOS (Emisar) firmware should work on it, and it’s literally a limited subset of Narsil.

Hi alternatey. I've been one of the biggest "critics" you could say of narsil, but I mean that in the film "critic" sense of the word, although others believe I mean it in the more "criticizing" sense of the word, but I certainly do not.

Narsil is great and is as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Most of the features people are talking about, are things many people never use. Do you care about accessing battcheck or changing your moon mode level or accessing crazy strobes? No? Then just stay relaxed on the switch, don't do any unnecessary double or triple clicks or anything, stick with press and hold ramping and you'll be in the simple ramp up ramp down interface.

I'll admit I got slightly glitched by the reversal timeout, but I haven't used it much (only because I've been testing HD), but it's not a big deal. If it ramps the wrong way, release and ramp again.

There's also the modegroup operation of Narsil that you should give a shot. That doesn't ramp. You click, it changes up "one level". If you're interested in modegroup operation you can also try bistro-HD

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/44344

I certainly wouldn't call it objectively better. It's certainly less mature, ie fewer features (things like double click to turbo, quadruple click to lockout switch, etc). And the major downside, you need to hold the button down for a bit more than a second to lock it off (it goes off instantly, but won't stay off until you've held it a bit). This comes with upsides, but it's still a downside.

Like with narsil, there are a few advanced features though. You can turn them all off or just not use them. Don't let the huge manual bother you. Most of that is for development. The UI is just bistro.

But first I'd say don't worry too much about all the talk about fancy features in Narsil. Just try it. Have you found you needed to do funny incantations to make it brighter? Did you find that it blinked out at random times bringing down enemy fire?

Hhmm. Judging by the Q8 reviews on Bangood and many, many feedback posts here, I'd say there aren't many user that agree with you. Possible they are keeping silent, but who knows. I've also sold/given about 10 Q8's out to total non-flashoholics, and some are using it on a daily basis and don't have the problems/issues you are talking about. One guy for example, was a simple 3 mode user - low, med, hi and that's all he ever wanted. As soon as he tried ramping, he was convinced and now wants it on all his lights.

I'm not sure what you mean by blink. If you mean you are activating strobe modes inadvertently, well they can be disabled - you can configure it that way yourself.

If the "blink" is from the voltage level display, then why are you triple clicking inadvertently? Basic operations are quite simple:

• click - turn the light ON (same level as last used)
  • click turn the light OFF
  • with the light ON, press&hold to ramp up or down

Not sure how it can get any simpler?

long-click to low
click-hold to ramp up
click-hold again to ramp down
short-click to on at last used level
double-click to turbo from anywhere

danm near idjit proof

In case anyone is interested, I posted some pics and details on my latest modded Q8, modded for performance, here in the Q8 Modding thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/46241/1201

[quote=Tom E]

Got to agree. Although personally I'd say click and hold to turn on the light, thus ramping up from moon. But that's taste. I don't usually remember what brightness I left it on and this light calls attention if you suddenly turn it on it turbo in the wrong setting.

So yeah, I guess that gets simpler. Now only two lines. Click and hold to turn on or ramp. Click for off. lol, so I guess I disagree after all. It is simpler.

If you can drive a car then you should be able to use Narsil. It’s really not that difficult to use!

I got a couple Fenix AOD-L diffuser for my two Q8 mentioned here by several people.

AOD-L is designed to fit 63mm diameter lights, but the Q8 is 59mm. Disappointed, it doesn’t fit nicely, only loosely like a cup set on top.

Keep in mind miboxer has two versions of the C4 charger. An older, weaker C4 and the newer 3A C4-12. Don’t get them confused if you want to order one.

What is the negative connotation of C4? An old model of light with a bad reputation?

I consider the L6 and S70s to be the long versions of the Q8. Especially with Narsil in it like in my sig. These 2 lights can actually approach 9k lumen with a fet driver and 70.2. The Q8 is definitely cheaper, though.

I have three. Two for my wife and I. One for a friend.

I have just finished doing what I thought was necessary for longevity and reliability.

1 - Honed all electrically conducting interfaces as well as heat conducting interfaces (burrs)
2 - Took all the parts out and cleaned threads and electrical interfaces
3 - Tungsten Disulphide on the threads
4 - Stabilant on all electrical interfaces
5 - High quality heat sink conductor on the back of the electronic PC board

I am not adverse to cleaning up the physical aspects. There is an apparent slight color rendition difference between two of the lights. Intensity about the same. Third unit not available at this time.

If the light is turned off by ramping down, when someone picks it up to use and clicks on the button (not an unreasonable action; it is how flashlights work without multiple button pressing). The light does not come on. There may be a little bit of light; but who cares - the user is expecting a usable bright light.

Click more times - still no light.

This is totally unacceptable when one is going to hand the light to a civilian. I am not particularly happy with that response myself. Dumb.

There may well be a mystic pass that will make this not happen. But I really don’t care; and no one I hand it too will care either. They have just been handed a flashlight that does not work.

My request for a simplified interface is based on the least common denominator. Who gives a rats patotie if there is a cool interface that an emergency user can not use. Emergency sort of defines an operation environment. Other people will not have memorized the manual (or even seen it). They will have no clue what pushing buttons will yield or how to get out of wherever they are.

As a dedicated device for trained users; cool. Hike, camp, illuminate intruders, and look for trespassers. You have the manual to check. For the person you handed it to; not so much.

I apparently have a different goal than the majority. For me, It is an emergency light; not a toy to brag about. Period. It needs to work in that environment with no “prior training”. Pick it up; use it. When you are in an earthquake, forest fire, flooding, landslide, etc it ain’t the time to train.

Candle Power in the emergency context may force you to lighting wicks.

There was a post above that makes a comparison of my point to driving a car. To drive a car you need to study rules and procedures, demonstrate an understanding about the processes, and demonstrate that you are sufficiently trained to operate a motor vehicle. Cogito ergo sum.

My fenix AOD-L fits a Q8 just fine. It's press fit - press down a little and it stays on tight. Maybe if I dropped it or threw it against the wall, the diffuser will come off.

?? I don't see what you are talking about ??

This is obviously not the light for you. Do you know where you are? You are on a flashlight forum. This is kind of funny reading this here. It's obviously not worth spending any more time explaining anything to you.

Ok, I know what it is -- it's a full moon on a Saturday night , one two many of something goin on...

Alternety, perhaps you should sell your 2 Q8s and get the old style SRK. It’s definitely simple to operate. Low, high, strobe. Easy!

an explosive

Maybe Banggood only publishes 5 star reviews because it's 87-0-0-0-0, 87 5 star reviews. I think at this point I need a drink or two... :BEER: :BEER:

Oh, I gotcha. A battery charger named that is not so bad, but a battery named C4, yikes.

The new Trustfire C4 model 18650 7,000 mah battery. Grab a handful and toss them in your favorite device for explosive power!

Lol