Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

4 batteries in parallel , will power 4 leds connected also in parallel .
Parallel means that all the negatives of the batteries are connected together , and the same for the positive side , if we talk about batteries.
In leds , it’s the same thing , all 4 leds , will have a common plus and common minus comming from the driver.

Yes
Parallel means in this case
1 or 2 or 3 or 4 cells can be used
And whether 1 or 4 is/are used the voltage will be between 4,2 at start to as low as 2,7V at cut off.
Adding cells mean longer runtimes
So 1 cell 3400mAh at 4,2V
And 4 cells 13600mAh thus four time longer operation
1 cell parallel 4,2V 3400mAh
2 cells parallel 4,2V 6800mAh
3 cells parallel 4,2V 10200mAh
4 cells parallel 4,2V 13600mAh

(Where in series the voltage is getting higher but mAh stays the same
1 cell series 4,2V 3400mAh
2 cells series 8,4V 3400mAh
3 cells series 12,6V 3400mAh

Hi guys thanks sooooo much for putting on this GB and organising it with such precision. And for that price as stated in OP.

Count me in for 1x BLF Q8

Great explanation. Thanks. This definetely means I’m positively in :smiley:

AND YES we have a new modem!
OP finally updated!

A manuel for Tom E’s Narsil Firmware can be found in the link in this post

@ The Miller :
Can you add this to post #2 ?

YES!
EDIT done!

Thanx for posting! Nice job! I don't have one of those diagrams - circle-of-modes sort of thing, but I think all the usability info is there. Probably would need two circles with one for ramping, one for mode sets. Hhmm - wonder what app they used...

No my friend, the creation of Narsil, the coding and making it available for us mortals to see ANF helping in the Q8, all that are great jobs and worthy of loafs of thanks!

Play'n with my SWM C20C today @work, running Narsil w/ramping... Darn nice. The C20C is branded as the Tomahawk, so it's good with me . I bought the last couple C20C's Illumn was getting rid of.

@ Tom E
I try it in a spread sheet in order to get a cheat sheet. I need min. 3 tables. A lot of stuff in it :smiley:

Two questions:

1. Battery check is different in Ramping and Modes, right? Tripple click works only in ramping?
  2. In Modes: “Mode Set Operation: From OFF, a click goes to 1st mode, while a click&hold (~1/3 sec) goes to last mode. ” It is unclear if “first mode” “last mode” is from the chosen modes list . I guess “first mode” could also be memorised mode (if enabled)?

Joechina

OOH Joechina, that would be awesome! Thanks!

I’d be interested, put me down for 1

Welcome to BLF!
Cool that you dedicate one of your first posts to the Q8.
I think you’ll be holding the Jaxman Z1 a lot sooner though :wink:
Will update OP later!

Two questions:

1 - Battery check is different in Ramping and Modes, right? Tripple click works only in ramping?

Yes - double-clicks and triple-clicks are not well compatible with regular mode set operation. I always hated just because I could click fast, the darn thing confused it with a double-click. For ramping though, there's no fast clicking done in normal operation, so double-clicks and triple-clicks can't get confused (unintentional behavior). This is all part of the reason why "Ramping" and "Mode Set" operations are completely different, very different philosphies. Initially I was gonna try to keep the advanced features operationally identical, but it just didn't feel right, and again, can produce unintentional consequences, which I have as high priority to avoid.

2 - In Modes: "Mode Set Operation: From OFF, a click goes to 1st mode, while a click&hold (~1/3 sec) goes to last mode. " It is unclear if "first mode" "last mode" is from the chosen modes list . I guess "first mode" could also be memorised mode (if enabled)?

First mode is the first mode of the mode set you chosen - it could be moon mode. I can't say it's always moon, or always low. After all, if you have a 7 mode set plus moon selected, what do you call them? This is based on the classic "Werner UI" and operates the same way. There are a lot of direct implementations of this, and some with a twist. Narsil has a twist from the standard Werner UI - you lock in the mode you are on after a short delay, and once you are locked in, a single click turns the light OFF. I felt a single click to turn the light OFF was very important - one of the top priorities of this UI.

The "memory mode" in mode set operation is not recommended. I found it difficult, and directly opposed to the philosophy of the Werner UI, where you always know how the light will start when you click it. I should have taken the feature out altogether, but thought maybe someone somewhere might find it to their liking.

This was brought to my attention based on a comment that I made. I’m in. It appears that I just jumped into the deep end. :smiley:

Yeah, incredible doesn’t begin to describe this forum.

heheh cool.
But this will take a while before you hold it :wink:

So now that we’re well over 400, and to my untrained eye, it looks like 90% of the grunt-work is done… what kind of timeline are we looking at for prototype delivery and eval? Can we even hazard a guess as to first run delivery? I was hoping for November (or should I put that out of my mind).

Yes out idea is kind of put into specs.
Communication is hard and not fast
Thanks to Jack-bkk we have a Chinese translation of the specs as well and that is emailed to Thorfire to avoid confusion.

We have received several versions of the Q8 in CAD drawings, yet there was a lot wrong and improvements are going slow.

Luckily we just proges on other parts.
Tom E has send out some Narsil drivers and feedback is coming in, software is being tweaked.
Djozz has a quote for the ledboard DTP design with some nice technical drawings from the manufacturer, this too is send to Thorfire.
The V3 version of the driver board is uploaded to Oshpark and on order for new driver prototypes.

I have no idea what the time frame is, we do want it next week, but rather do as much digital before making the step to prototypes.

I figure that with the Narsil testing and well though out designs things could go pretty fast if all is merged into a set of good digital schematic and Thorfire can plan the Q8.
But really at this stage we are not at that point and it is impossible to indicate when it will be ready.

I would like to get 2 more lights, so 4 in total.
Thanks.