Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

The above said, prototype number one seems to have been fairly well fleshed out, so it shouldn’t be a LOT longer! :slight_smile:

I don't understand the question. Back at post #69 the AR lens was dropped, but that was at the time high CRI Nichia's were being discussed. Now that we going with 3D's, dunno if the same issue applies. I know the Reylight Pineapple Brass 90+ CRI light comes with an AR lens (briefly mentioned in one review) and no one complained, in fact everyone raved about it. Could be the quality of the AR lens used then in the Pineapple Brass maybe?

Maybe I'm not following correctly. It sounded you were saying that part of the rational for the lens that was selected was that it would be guaranteed to not shift tint badly. I'm curious why the selected lens would not be vulnerable to similar A/R coating issues. For durability (coatings scratch easily, but the underlying plastic scratches much easier than glass) and cost reasons, I have always bought A/R coated glass, but it sounds like I'm missing something basic.

The selected lens now is just glass (see the OP), nothing special - no coating at all. See post #70 - I'm sure there's something to this, but again I'm confused.

^

Oh, I see. I'm the one that is confused. Sorry about that. :)

I mentiond these lens not because of the AR coating. I was thinking it could be a nice aftermarket update for people that want to smoth out the beam. Because these lens has a Micro-Texture. This works likes the dc-Fix diffuser foil. But with better technical parameters (less output loss).
Further information can be found here: Micro-Textured Lens for Solarforce Flashlights

Yeah
I’d rather choose to order that kaidoman ~$4 lens or that micro textured when I have the Q8 for $40 in my hands then trying to get a coated lens in it now :wink:

This board stuff seems to be a bit of a roadblock for the future of pushing customized boards into comercial lights. It's entirely reasonable that they would want to change some things and that they would at least want the ability to make some minor changes down the road if they they ever feel they need to. If they have to start from scratch to redraw BLF designs, obviously that makes a larger barrier for pushing in BLF designs.

On the other hand, if we’re going to have multiple BLF experts design and test the operation, components, and UI, why would we want someone disrupting the balance? We’ve seen what happens when they did that with Bistro. We’ve even seen issues when Convoy’s engineers changed the flash code, so I for one would rather they use our expertise and not mess with anything. OR just offer the host and let us do a group buy on the drivers so we know it’s right.

They can import the gerber files if they wanted to, any PCB program can do that. The issue is that it doesn’t import any of the circuit design and components.

Most of the BLF designs to date have not included this anyways (which is why there were rarely any schematics posted with the drivers).

The issue now that some of us are including these is that we only have access to the free programs, such as diptrace and eagle. The higher end programs cost money we can’t afford. That said most of them can import other programs files with import tools or other options.

Basically it boils down to there is nothing we can do on our end without spending a lot of money and time.

I get that pro software is VERY expensive. There might be a pro lurking with some expensive software though.

Pro’s burn out here, we’re too needy.

MattAus got stressed, Wight disappeared, as did ChicagoX. They try, but all the argument from the peons kills their time, they flee in the end.

Please put me in for one. :slight_smile:

and PilotPTK disappeared too. I’m not sure if they all fleed because of the people here being too demanding, pro’s tend to be busy people too and that does not rhyme with a flashlight addiction very well.

Nobody around here is addicted to flashlights

Welcome to BLF!!
Updated.
When? well. it becomes a mantra “it is ready when it is ready” I want it yesterday but I want it good, we all want it good so it might take long, it is the result that counts :wink:

Without the planned driver, we’re going to get a very different light than we wanted and expected :open_mouth: More than any other single component that driver IS the Q8 manifested, so no compromise should be made there.

Even with the language barrier, they should be able to make our driver from pics in this thread and the proper components, then put that info into whatever program language they desire. If they can’t do that I’m already worried about what we’re going to end up with or with seeing the GB fade into oblivion 3 years from now when they still can’t do it.

Perhaps with a model driver in hand they could figure out how to copy it- I’d contribute to that cost just to see this light come forth as planned.

Phil

Yes, and they have a proto driver!
I totally agree Narsil and a stable BLFdriver is one of the crownjewels of the Q8, not gonna give that up :wink:

They do have a prototype Q8 driver, Tom sent it to them.

Then I wonder if they got their “Engineer” title from a Cracker Jack box? That’s where the car drivers here get their licenses from :person_facepalming:

Phil