Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Please add me to the list. Thanks!

And list updated, lots of new entries, wow

oops, just pressed save, next update I will add you!

Well right now all is halted because of Chinese New Year, so literally no progress atm.
Then we cn continue about the reflector/LED alignment, screws bottom reflector and top side reflector (yeah reflector talk)
When that is sorted and Thorfire has tested the driver as being good, it seems like the proper timing for new prototypes and well I think packaging (and of course! the anticipated video of the drop test of the packaging) before shipping of the protos. And we’ll take it from there.

So the problems with the driver have been resolved? Thorfire now agrees with using the blf driver?

This is the (kind of vague) pic Thorfire provided of the driver:

I’m really hoping that skinner center ground pin on the 7135 has a trace running underneath the MOSFET supply pin to the ground pad at the MOSFET’s outer 3 legs. It kinda looks like they’ve got the 7135 ground going to the FET switch pin, which wouldn’t work at all. I’m not really seeing where the larger ground pad for the 7135 gets to ground, no visible vias, unless their under the component itself, in which case that via coming off the skinny center pin doesn’t even need to exist. Weird, how they’ve done that.

Looks like they could have turned that 4193 resistor so that one end was closer to the “Q” for positive connection, and then run a ground trace under the resistor to the large ground pad that C1 sits on. Surely there’s something there I’m not seeing.

This is what looks off to me, I could be totally wrong and probably am, just commenting on what I’m seeing there without knowing how the traces are under the components.

I’m on the list for SEVEN of these monsters for my friends and I, but EIGHT seems a more appropriate number!

Miller, kindly put me down for one more Q8… for now… :wink:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

PS: I’m already planning some photos for when the Q8s arrive. Here’s what I did with our Maxtoch Shooter 2Xs:

Wow! That's an awesome 4-pack!

Dale - think the 7135 grnd line is not going to the FET switching pin, but rather under the pin to get to the grnd plane. Think they did the same thing PD68 did here, but it's a bad pic:

I think Tom is right. This render of PD’s design shows it more clearly.

Still, Dale has a point that PD could have rotated the resistor to make another path under it to the ground on the other side of the driver. :innocent:

Gosh Goshdogit, that is a Q100 :smiley:

Dale I am under the impression the pic of Thorfire shows a board with the PD design.

Compared with the proto driver:

this new proto looks much much better:

design by PD after testing and updating:

Just something I came across. Probably well known here.

http://www.princetontec.com/helix-basecamp

They have an interesting looking cap/diffuser on top of their lights. I am wondering if that would be a useful add on to the Q8. There have been a number of suggestions somewhere in this thread. For those wanting to use the Q8 as a long lasting lamp (like, for instance, me).

If the dimensions are right, and they are actually good performers, perhaps a small group buy of the “repair parts” for the diffuser could be worked out with the manufacturer.

Ok, I see it now without the components populated. Sure couldn’t tell that in the picture with the bits soldered on! Sorry for the hassle, didn’t know if they might have missed something or not. That chip is only pulling 350mA so it doesn’t need a lot of ground, that should be fine.

Sure something like that could be used if it fits. But a much less expensive solution could also be a plastic drinking cup. Heck, they can be found in garbage cans and dumpsters if one needs a diffuser badly enough. Something ready for the trash also doesn’t need to be manufactured and is getting a second life.

I was also thinking along the lines of purchasing something, then realized a I had a cupboard of diffuser globes should I ever need one. I think someone mentioned the drinking cup solution back a bunch of pages.

Thanks, it was fun to build and even more fun to use! I’ve got to give Dale credit for the “Quad 2X” idea. :+1:

I’m fortunate to have access to a laser cutter, and would like to create some mounts to hold eight Q8s.

I’d love to have the mounts ready for when the Q8s arrive.

If the Q8’s outer dimensions have been locked in, could Tom or Miller provide measurements at these points?

A: diameter of head behind bezel
B: diameter of battery tube’s widest point behind head
C: diameter of tailcap
D: distance from bottom of head to center of tailcap
E: distance between center of head’s non-finned area to center of tailcap

A ring of eight Q8s will be held at different points of the bodies with two or three of these, cut from thin plywood:

I’d also like to try this configuration:

This is all strictly “for the sake of flashlight science,” as mhanlen says. :smiley:

Hope this light hits the market soon. Worried by the time it’s out something will already be filling the role this was going to fill, there’s some nice looking lights coming out at the moment.

goshdogit - I could provide those measurements from the one Q8 proto, but who knows if they next proto, or production units will be that size. Since the engr team has changed since the first one, I'd figure it's best to wait least for the next prototype.

Hahaha insane goshdogit!
When next protos are done (should be like production units) we let you know, man what a beast you would create LOL awful lot of cells though :smiley:

Nothing at all, I’d like to see you turn this soup can light into a can of tuna(4 x 18350). :wink: Oughta tail stand real nice.

Wow, is the motto: “It will make you go blind but also keep yer home warm” LOL

Just curious, when are units projected to be available?

Thanks

Please put me on the list I am interested