Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Year 2027:
(tap)
Your software is not anymore supported. Update flashlight to turn on.
(tap)
“Are you sure you want to update? Tap once for yes, tap twice for no”
(tap)
“Your flashlight software is being updated… progress… >34%>>… .(dots dots dots)
(tap)
”Your flashlight is updated. Are you sure you want to turn it on?”
(tap)
“Scan your finger to verify your user account”
(tap)
“Scan your iris to turn flashlight on”
(light thrown into basket. Reaching for good old XP-era flashlight)
:slight_smile:

PS wow I shone into an XP-G2 and measured a whole 50 millivolts! Not sure I knew that before.

This has been around a while too: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1196

Arduino based flashlight

In the words of Dr. Sheldon Cooper “everything’s better with bluetooth”

Something we might want to remember with the next project.

bluetooth was tried for flashlights before and failed miserably, never caught on, took off. Too expensive, too quirky, and maybe not done with enough capability and UX, dunno.

FLEX Asgard, etc.. Had to use a plastic reflector because of too much interference...

Any updates on the pricing?

I am curious as well, still tempted to buy the darn thing since it seems so well designed by the BLF Community im part of now :slight_smile:
Feels like my second home :wink:

There was also the Manker Godmes with Bluetooth. Besides adjust useful things like brightness levels, number of levels, strobe brightness and cycle rate, you could do extra fun stuff like a true disco mode that pulsed the light to the beat of music as well as remote turn on and off.

For the one person that uses a 6,000 lumen light to cross the road using the strobe, just point it at the ground toward the cars. Oncoming cars will see the reflection off the ground which will be reduced brightness. Problem solved.

Yes price of $40 is still aim and no input from either Thorfire or Banggood it is changed.

Given that popular lights such as the Convoy S2+ can get too hot to touch at the head within a few minutes with no auto step-down, is it really worth delaying this project to adjust the Q8’s step-down? If it could be done with no delay to the project then go ahead!

Here’s the dilemma, i don’t need one but i’d like to have one…

Join the club……. most likely none of us “need” one. Nor do we “need” the tons of lights we already have. :person_facepalming: … :money_mouth_face:
But that has not stopped most of us so far……… :wink:

Go for it…… :+1: … Feed the obsession. :beer:

You nearly had me there teacher, let me sleep about it :slight_smile:

Hi, please add 2x for me, thanks :slight_smile:

Agreed. I don’t need one (I’m on the list for two), and I don’t know how much I’ll even use it, with the soda can form factor, because I’ve never had a SRK. It’s too good of a light though, and I’m powerless to say no.

I hear ya’……… :+1: … It should be a real eye opener……… :wink:

Yeah. What is it about these dang things that emit light? I have plenty of the relics hanging on nails, with exploded alkaline batteries oozing due to no use. The lights are still in their places, ready. Ready for what? The trash can because some idiot forgot to use them and check the batteries. No problem, I'll get another. Yet that one oozes muck all over in the drawer. Then I get led into the world of LED lights. I cheap out like most, but then after spending more money that makes any sense, on cheap a$$ chinese lights, I finally realize, I should have bought the expensive stuff when I started getting into lights. Instead, I complained how expensive they were, and was mocked by the masses for buying cheap junk. Now, since I've spent hundreds (maybe thousands) on flashlights, then finally told myself they were all CRAP, I decided it was time to buy the good schit. That's not the right thing to do!. What do I do with all the cheap CRAP, now that I have this good light that cost me well over the price of the junk? MEH, toss it in the drawer. Continue forward as lights evolve. In five years, I MAY be able to use all the muck inside the lights from the dead batteries to ACTUALLY power something. Or, maybe the bottom of the flashlight drawer will have a BIG hole in the bottom, caused by all the neurons colliding and causing a MASSIVE melt down......

More later after the HAZMAT team cleans up the mess :D

I already have a working proof of concept for programming a flashlight from a phone, but it uses the LED to “see” Morse code instead of using bluetooth. It only requires one tiny change to the driver, plus a bunch of code, and then it should be configurable by going to a web page and pointing the light at the screen.

But it won’t be ready in time for Q8 purposes.

I also dont need one but have put my name down for two and wondering whether I should get another two?

I do need it, cuz then i can retire the 85 W HID flashlight of mine, and use its battery to power my DIY active NVG.

Also the HID take a while to get up to speed, the Q8 should be instant ( scream )

If you don’t need one then you should sign up for … two!