Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Merely a suggestion for those with concerns. I could handle what was necessary without making a scene here. Easily overcome.

Been lurking for a while, and I’m still sort of a flashlight noob. Have a couple good lights. Registered because I have to have this one.

Put me on the list, please!

The soft bendable material of the diffuser is nice, anf it comes with covers, just keep forgetting to buy a can of shiny silver spraypaint will check if I have something tomorrow

There is a thread on here where someone made a really really nice camping lantern out of a 4x SRK (basically a Q8). He was trying to get a group buy going last year but never got it going. With the success of the Q8 it would be very reasonable for Thorfire to consider making a camping lantern version of the Q8.

It should be quite simple really. Use the Q8 as the base but replace the bezel with the lantern diffuser. It would cost a bit more obviously but that is to be expected. The diffuser itself should be able to be copied from the BLF design (forgot the users name) and then simply screwed on. Could even be sold separately as an extra for the Q8 giving it double duty.

Even I would buy one of these, I have found that a good lantern is one thing I am missing. Should not cost more then $10-15 extra for this, full retail depending on how it was made.

Heck, it is possible this could even be 3D printed except for the threaded bezel.

Diffusers are nice sometimes. I use one on my Olight S-Mini if I need to flag down a taxi or something. For the Q8 though, most of the time I’d be fine putting a paper cup over the top. I guess I don’t use flashlights in “bulb mode” very often.

SRK camp lantern link

Thats even simpler then I thought. Personally I think a reflective cone at the top would be better as it should put out more light to the sides with less glare but I am not an expert on lanterns.

That would be super simple to have made by thorfire (well something like it anyways) if there was a big enough intrest list. Something to think about once the Q8 is released.

DBSAR is our Latern King.
I tried to inspirate a combination with Q8 project, but i failed. :frowning:
If we talk about an interestlist, i am in!

The Q8 and the SRK inspired lantern are not easily compatible as a light that can be converted from one use to the other. . IMO, the lantern works much better with the emitter aimed down as DBSAR designed and built. That is not easy to do with a light that is also meant to shoot out a flood beam from 4 emitters with a reflector. I still have plans to build a lantern like DBSAR’s but using a remote phosphor like I did with last year’s contest entry. It is another project altogether and needs someone with lots of time to dedicate to planning. That is a big commitment. Also probably not as many folks in the market for such a light.

I think it should be possible to get much of the effect of downward facing LED’s with a correctly designed reflector. It could even be a plastic reflector in this case as well to save cost.

Or even a cone above the LED’s at the right angle to bounce the light both out and down as it comes up from the LED’s.

I think it should be entirely possible to create a very nice lantern that can screw onto the Q8 bezel threads. In fact it would not be all that hard to test with some mylar or even some aluminum foil.

I could be wrong though, like I said, I am not an expert on lanterns.

Just created an account to get on the Q8 list. So if possible, please put me on the Q8 list, I’m very interested!

Thanks!

If the end of the diffuser is made reflective, what’s to keep you from simply aiming the light downward? You’d probably want a short stand to keep it off the ground but it seems like it could work reasonably well. Perhaps also add a diffusion film over the lens to get more light from there and less from the reflector at the end of the diffuser.

The diffuser in post 6609 is what I was planning. Using mylar mirror material rather spray paint for the cone is a great idea.

An inexpensive alternative sized to the Q8 would be great if someone made one. Some calculations for optimal light spread management needed. In both the cone and density of the sides. Ideally, the sides would transmit as much light as possible while controlling direct glare.

I don’t know if reasonably available 3D printers and materials could make sufficiently non-blocking translucent side, but they could sure do the cones for attaching the central area mylar reflector. Making them could be a little side business for some members with printers to build their flashlight purchase cash pool. They could be better replacements for the plastic inserts available with the base product referenced.

Re: the post just above this one. Putting the light on top could improve stability. Build it just like what I am talking about, but put the reflector on the bottom. In this case, it would be better to make the diffuser more funnel shaped to broaden the base for stability. With the reflective cone in the middle of the bottom of the cone. Kill a multiplicity of birds with a singular projectile. With the cone on the bottom, no additional stand would be needed to maximize light.

You got me to thinking.

With the light pointing the beam to the ground, picture the diffuser as a cup. Set the cup on the table. The light goes inside the cup to the threads and screws on.

What protrudes around the light as it sits in the cup, is collecting the light, and diffusing "around" the light. The light being dark inside the cup, draws the bright glare away from what's being emitted.

Just thinking out loud.

Royalties excepted

The Q8 is going to put out lots of light so the reflector/diffuser doesn’t need to be perfect. You could make something out of tin foil and stuff it in a clear plastic cup.

I wonder if you could cook something in the tin foil before the cup melts.

Hahaha cooking attachment ftw!

Had a talk with DBSAR about his lantern and the Q8. It are two different lights. Did email Barry and DBSAR so they are connected.

With so many options, from big like I showed, small like Tom showed and like free from a plastic cup I don’t see Thorfire make a diffuser nor a need to pursue it.

Welcome to BLF
Will update list later
Do you know about li ion cells, there is a link to an important read about safety on my SIG :wink:

Welcome to BLF!

Hi, please ask me for question: How long Q8 work in turbo mode ~5000 lumen ?
Sorry but i dont look this info, if possible please see me diagram, thanks :slight_smile:

Sorry for my bad English…

IMO there are two different things mixed up:
A difussor is something like a candle. You have to carry it on the bottom.
A latern is more like this:

Put a plastic bottle around the flashlight is maybe a diffusor but for me it is not a latern…

Saw this light, signed up immediately. I’d be very happy to get on the list! :smiley:

Best wishes

Thanks to those who have ordered these pouches already. I quit replying to each order message individually as it was taking too much time. We are doing our best to make sure each one who requests a 4.5” pouch gets one. If you have any problems just contact us and we will do our best to resolve them and thanks again. Looking forward to getting one of these Flashlights myself :slight_smile: