Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

what is a spring pcb mod?

Pssst: the new LEDboard discussion is over there: Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

Thanks hank!

Interesting, thanks for sharing that info…. :+1:
:slight_smile:

Great info. Thanks!

That’s great. Apparently I was reading an old survey that was posted. I somehow found an old survey and didn’t realize it was last April not this April Q6/Q8 How many emitters build in it? this is a long buildup and even longer thread and hard to keep tabs on what exactly is happening when you don’t have time to read but a few of the posts here and there every month! :slight_smile:

I’m 1300 and 1301 on the list, could you please add 2 more to the list for me. My brother and neighbor will be very happy receiving these as gifts. Thanks

yes will do!

Prototype 3, sample 7 is in!

Already in pieces, photos to come. It is absolutely remarkable value for money!

One issue with the MCPCB solder mask de-laminated on one edge (without any soldering yet).

:+1: :beer: :+1: :beer:

Ye-haaaa, thanks for the info DEL. :+1: …. Looking forward to the photos. :slight_smile:

MCPCB sound like a concern to my uninformed self……… :wink:
…………………
Edit to add: I guess it shouldn’t, but it kind of amazes me that on 1 of 7 - #3 Prototypes they would send a MCPCB with “problems” right out of the box. I’ll just stop right there without any other speculation of any type. :slight_smile:

Yaay :sunglasses:

7 out of 7 are in! That’s the best on topic post in a while! :+1:

Regarding why one would want to have more then one Q8:

- If the production lights are as good as the latest prototypes it’s a hell of a deal for the price.

- The price is likely to go up for some time after the first group buy so a second one may cost notably more.

- If you plan to mod it you still have a stock Q8 to compare to.

- This kind of light is nice to have in several places in the house and possibly in the car(s).

- It would make a great gift - although a bit expensive with cells and charger.

• It’s a piece of BLF history.

On a more personal note:

• Whatever i like i want to have (more then) several. :heart_eyes:

Now the guessing game about when the first Q8s will ship… Mid August? September?

There is no ‘like’ button, so instead how about a :+1: ?

I hope things will progress quickly to the :beer: phase of the project, where we all get lit.

I want to get one for all of my cars, another to leave stock, a few to mod in various ways (thinking an xhp35 hi thrower version and an xhp50.2 high CRI flooder to start out with). Then a few more for gifts.

Sadly not sure I will be able to afford all of that before the GB actually happens.

:+1:

:+1: :+1:

:disappointed:

That suggests they need to tighten up both the QA and the QC systems.
Assuming they have such as part of their operation. If not we can help :slight_smile:

http://www.onquality.info/2011/10/difference-between-qa-and-qc.html/

http://www.onquality.info/2011/10/difference-between-qa-and-qc.html/

(emphasis added; a working QA/QC system defeats the aforementioned tendency toward quality fading over time, too.

I am following this thread for longtime, until today I just be able to register in just to join the wonderful group and wish to be on the LIST for 1 light. So please put me in if possible. Please please.

This is the round #3 Q8 with bypassed springs, using the tial PCB fro proto #1 (they are an exact match):

This was with VTC6's w/boobs at 4.19V: lumens: 6,660 @start, 6,190 @30 secs, so about a 5% bump on account of the bypassed springs.

This I should have done a while ago, looking at the spring at proto #1, proto #2, and round 3.

Here's proto #2 (left) compared to round 3 (right):

Proto #2:

Round 3:

Proto #1 compared to round 3. Proto #1 was a crude prototype in several respects. They were one of the worse set of springs I've seen. With the bypasses, doesn't really matter.

Proto #1 on left, round 3 on right:

• Proto #1 springs: 11 mm high, thick, single
  • Proto #2 springs: 10.5 mm high, thick, inner spring is 7 mm
  • Round 3 springs: 10 mm high, thin, inner spring is 5 mm

I think the ThorFire engineers were attempting to soften up the springs in round 3 to ease the tension threading on the tube tight. I think they went a bit too far with that though.

Footnote: that pile of fur under the table in the first shot is my dog, Rex

Some first impressions, then photos!

The good:

• Perfect fit and exterior finish. Clean and battery tube threads well lubricated.
  • Pretty good interior finish for the most part
  • Nice heft, weighs in at 404 g (no cells). The latest SRKs are around 300 g.
  • Clean reflector, lens, LEDs, MCPCB, interior
  • Looks like a good quality PCB for the driver
  • Good button with crisp action
  • Good thermal performance. Can sense some heat on the exterior very rapidly.
  • 3D tint, or extremely close to it, as per specification
  • 2 mohm FET on the driver, as per specification
  • The ‘good’ type 7135 regulator on the driver
  • LED wires are AWG 18 or larger

The neutral:

• More aggressive knurling than usual, but well done
  • The SS bezel on mine came dirty. Some glue or similar that comes off easily though.
  • The glue used for the plastic finishing rings around the brass +contact ring is a little fragile. Very easy to remove these rings.
  • LED centering is OK, but not great.

The not so good:

• De-laminating MCPCB. Apart from the mask lifting at one edge, there is also an air-bubble around the -wire pad.
  • Two inclusions in one of the four reflectors
  • The now known issue with the tail springs. A 2 ft drop onto its tail on a soft surface interrupts the cells.
  • Driver is obviously hand-soldered. Hopefully this is just a prototyping issue. It is mostly a case of too much solder and there are no signs of dry joints or bad connections.

OK, photos. These are as the light came out of the box, no clean-up, no rework of any kind.

Banggood style bag, but I am not expecting anything from BG?

Apparently we have an SKU already:

Simple but functional packaging, of course the retail version may end up improved:

Oh nice!:

Not something you will see on any other SRK light:

Less nice inside, but still pretty good:

Tail board:

Tail cap:

Tripod threads:

Some boobed flat-tops:

We would need 2-3 mm extra on those springs for a secure fit with short cells:

Plastic rings. The brass ring stands ~0.5 mm proud of both:

Cool side light:

Great tint. XPL-HI 3D on the right:

Business end:

Against two current-generation SRKs:

The good FET:

The not good reflector:

Underneath the tail board:

Back of reflector:

MCPCB:

Small screws are all the same size:

Thermal paste:

Back of MCPCB:

Shelf cleaned up, very nice finish on that one:

Its flat:

My only real complaint:

Same defect:

Now to put it back together and use it!:

WOW, now that’s a great rundown of the light :+1: Thanks a lot
Have the other proto3 lights the same issues as the one DEL received? Except for the LEDs being off-center and the spring issue I don’t remember any mention of the other issues.