Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Jake you are right, though bullitproof is not a demand :wink:

and hopefully our section on quality control in the specs is not missed by you.
We think it is doable now that we have cut away charging, lighted switch, extra part to make charging possible (clip on for button) this was in the original idea but got dropped so the real important stuff can be done right.

Also be aware that we follow and discus other groupbuys and learn a lot from them.

And then we choose to be as open about everything as possible so all those highly knowledgeable BLFers can look over our shoulders and point to things we have missed

So only patience remains and let me assure you, I am prepared, willing and patient enough to repeat the call for patience instead of rushing when we are getting to a point of giving the GO for actual production :wink:

one for me too plz.

Well OP interest list is updated.

David you had me for a second (a real second here) I am tired and even though I had read it before and it made me chuckle then this time I was like “huh, what…HUH…what?! ooh hahahaha I already laughed about this…. dang time to go to bed ;)”

The Miller Please put me down for 2.

Throw me in for one please The Miller.

I have an idea. What is, if the head consists of 2 parts. One part with the driver and LEDs and a second part for the reflector, lens and so on? The Reflector-Part of the flashlight could be changed to a bigger one to hold a big reflector like the Fenix TK75 or similar lights. And we could interchange the reflector-part with a laterna-part for this flashlight: *BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Would it be an option to simply change the reflector-size or the reflector to a diffusor?

Or is this design too unsafe/dangerous because of dedoming the LED by a mistake?

Please put me down for 1 of these. Thank you…… :slight_smile:

Hmm I get your idea.
A problem is of course what to make it lego with besides the extra work needed to make it two parts, extra threading.

The SRK based lantern is basically a completely different design of the head that takes the LED to an up-side-down position like the old fashioned recoil throwers. So this does not seem like a solution to make it fit. DBSAR is taking a completely different route and is making a pure lantern where the Q8 is general purpose and could be made into a lantern by placing a diffuser over the head like this:

see post Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light - #110 by Kozy

There is a link to the thing I used and it works really good and can be fitted without modding or tools and when needed also removed to get the normal SRK/sodecan functionality back.
But you can also see that DBSARs solution is much cleaner and smaller then a soda can light in combination the big photo flash diffuser I used.

A diffuser cap for a light like this would be bloody awesome.

With the number of batteries it has it could run as a decently bright lantern for days I would expect.

Extremely useful function to have for emergency home lighting, camping lighting, outdoors activities etc.

Is there anything out there off the shelf other than the option The Miller mentioned above that could do this?

I really tried to risist this time…

Put me on the list for one please… :person_facepalming:

Check the thread of DBSAR he has tested several things to find a good diffuser.
I bought this thinking it would be easy to mod so to mount it but it didn’t need any modding and fits all my soda can lights.

haha thanks david, I walked into that one.

Pls put me down for one.

Tom E has ordered the driver board at Oshpark so the wait for them to arrive has begun.
And when it finally is in Tm will be able to make the driver, and give it some serius testing!

Just checked the list and, somehow, I’m not on it! Please add me.

Yes you are, you said put me on the list twice and are on it twice.
Ctrl f / cmd f
271 and a little later again
If twice is too much I’ll correct it with rge next who says “put me on the list” :wink:

thank you,

I know the designers do not mean for a light to be fragile, or have any issues. But when we give certain specs, and then a price point that does not match up manufactuers seem to cut corners.
I am really hoping for a nice, solid, reliable light. you guys are doing a great job on the design, and on paper ( screen) it looks like it will be a good light. I just hope we don’t cram too much into it, and have a manufacture make it less than we expected

If the “XP-L NW” is the HI version, in at least a V2 bin (preferably V3 w/ 3A/3D tint), I am in for one. I’d happily pay a couple more bucks for the +/- 75 CRI version as well.

However, I’d more interested in something like an XHP35 HI triple in the SRK form-factor. The driver/LED/battery arrangement might be tricky to optimize, but I think it would be worth looking into. The XHP35 HI shares the XP footprint, is factory “de-domed”, and available in high-CRI NW variants. Also, unlike the XHP50/70, there is virtually no separation in the dies, so there is no “window pane” effect to worry about. Just my $.02.

After a lot of debate it now is the non HI version in neutral white.
For now we have to think of other leds as modding projects but who knows if we can have people choose between more we will, however, the parallel cell configuration is not going to be deviated from for now.

xpl hi has been already discussed however there seems no pros over regular xpl in SRK as flooder.

XHP35:

- is out of our budget I believe.

• forward voltage is ~12V (i.e. other driver is required)