Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Again, I don't recommend protected cells. But if I had to, well, the ones I mentioned in post #3695 sound good. A GA cell with a quality protection circuit allowing at least 10A should be bout the best you can get.

I just sent an query to Jon at that store asking what the Seiko PCB in there has as a low voltage cutoff threshold. If it's 2.5V, that would be great. I think I'd buy a set just to test them. All the major brands I know of are using Pana 3400's at best, but the GA 3500 is definitely a better cell.

Richard at MtnE has some good protected cells, though they max out at ~7.5A with a 2.75V low voltage cutoff, so not a good option currently for Narsil/Q8. I probably need to bump up the Narsil cutoff from 2.6V to 2.8V or 2.9V solely because of protected cell usage. I think some protected cells have higher cutoffs though.

I like 2.6V as it’s safe and allows longest runtimes before cut-off. Keep all the performance possible.

Phil

As far as I’m aware, there are now Sanyo GA based protected cells available from Olight, Evva, Orbtronic, Keeppower, and Blazar.

I dropped quite behind on this thread and had a lot of backward reading to do until i found post 3348 - First look at the first Q8 prototype.

Great great job despite the noted issues!
The 5k+ lumens is inspiring, not mentioning Tom’s little adjustments that went above 6k!

@The Miller: I can’t imagine how demanding this (and the other) project is already but i really wish you or someone would take a bit of time to maintain a one paragraph project status summary at the top of the OP, with a few numbers and links to the salient posts like the one above. With hundreds of interested members and close to 4k posts that makes a lot of people having a hard time to find out where we’re at…

Good idea patmurris, and thanks to your link I can do this easy :wink:
Will do the same if the polls are done for the GT too :smiling_face:
Thanks for the idea!

Add me to the list next update.

Please put me in for one.

Welcome to BLF AND OP updated!

If someone is searching for Batterys for the Q8 and is willing to solderblob the Batterys here is a good offer for the GA cells.
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_361930.html

@The Miller:
Would you plesase link all Posts from TomE with pictures and facts of the prototype in the OP?
Thanks !!!

This is my list of shortcuts I've been keeping. Should be a good starting pt to add to the OP:

First Proto pics, tests - post 3348

First proto details - post 3390

Beamshots at EdgeWood - post 3427

Batts, diffusor, reflector measurements - post 3486

pics of lights from the beamshots - post 3441

Done THANKS Tom!

Put those links together just the other day for my own use - should have forwarded them to you. Had a pain posting them here - exported from IE, edited in Notepad from the html...

Flicker Account from 5ar with Pictures from Q8 and GT
5ar Flickr

Do you know how the VTC4 compare to VTC6? Exept for the lower Ah capacity of course.
I have a bunch of VTC4 (like over 25 pc) that I use for various flashlights, and I was kind of hoping that they would work fine for the Q8 aswell.

I had some VTC4’s but they preformed worse then the HE2’s in all my tests and had less capacity so I sold them.

The VTC6 is better then the HE2 so I am going to say that the VTC4 is gonna be a fair amount worse then the VTC6.

They are still great cells though.

Think I might have VTC4's, but they are old. +1 with TA's post above. The low capacity is not ideal, but they will sure work well, probably initially more amps than the 10A cells like the GA, MJ1, or 35E, but will degrade fairly quickly as they discharge.

Could magnets be used with this light on the GA cells? Or would that be a bad idea with the Q8?

Yeah magnets would be a bad idea because of how they would rub against the driver plate when screwing the head one.

The magnets would slide off as you screw in the cells.

EDIT: PD beat me to it.