Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Ah of course 3/8 is bigger then 1/4
Hmm is it smart to ask for the bigger one drilled into the Q8?

Well, I'd prefer having an SS adapter, but it should be included, not bought separately, because then it can be designed in to be flush when mounted, like what I see on the MT07. The 3/8 fitting will be incompatible with 95+% of things out there, making it useless. You would then have to buy an adapter to make it useful - I just don't see that as a good choice for the vast majority.

I think (and I may be wrong) the idea of having the aluminum flashlight body tapped for 3/8” would make it easy to add a 1/4” stainless steel adapter. That way the stainless threads would be doing all the heavy lifting when you attach it to various tripods and such. It would preserve the more fragile aluminum threads over time. It is one more thing to buy but might make for a wiser choice in the long run.

I don’t know if I’d ever need the thread, but I’d pay extra for it. I agree about the 3/8” thread with the adapter of more wear resistant and tougher SS.

Please add me to the list for one light.

Also, I would pay extra for a 3/8” thread for a steel 1/4” adapter as well.

New member and I’m impressed with the work you guys has put in. I expect to see this quality at some future date so put me in for 3.

In for one. Thanks

I never thought about it but that is indeed a good reason to go 3/8 with a stock ss adapter. However and production wise, this adds an extra item and an extra step or more to fit it flush…

It’d be great if you can get it installed stock, but as long as there’s enough depth, it’s not that big of a deal. If the stock threads get stripped, it can be drilled out, counterbored and tapped to fit this adapter. You can do that on a drill press, although it’d be a pricy mod if you don’t already have the tooling. Hopefully the ID is something common like 1/2” so you can use any 1/2” diameter end mill.

Helicoil is another option and costs less. My biggest problem with this, and the fancier Time-sert kits, is that they don’t seem to use a standard tap size, and that may be a problem here if they don’t offer bottoming taps.

Welcome to BLF
Will update the list later

Tom how deep is the hole for the tripod?

1/4-20 has been the main world standard tripod mounting thread for ages, and it would be a disservice to many planning tripod use if it were anything different. Inserts which are user-removable will fail almost as quickly as direct threading unless given extra attention to smooth threading and precision fit. The usual approach is installing ‘graded’ parts fitted to individual units which has to be done by a trained human- it’s beyond the capabilities of normal production machinery especially if it’s worn. It’s never done on anything less than top-of-the-line items or where it is truly necessary because of that.

Given proper care in use, a direct tripod thread should give hundreds of mounting cycles before thread wear becomes an issue. Problems with tripod mounting threads are almost always the user’s fault (over-tightening and unclean/unlubed threads) and even the best-fitted inserts cannot overcome that. Given this lights design, intended usage, and pricing point I don’t see a quality removable insert happening. Perhaps a bonded insert (and I’d like that) but even that adds cost and is probably unnecessary for all but a few of us. For those desiring frequent tripod use, they would be better off using some kind of clamped-on adapter which could also assist with the heat-sinking which could be made from a more durable metal.

I’m for waiting to see Thorfire’s asking price before we add anything more to the specs of this light. Nothing is more frustrating than having to reduce specs and lose features you really wanted when there’s a cost over-run. It’s a better to approach it from the other side :wink: I personally doubt we’re going to meet the intended pricing point as this light is designed now though I will be very happy if we do. Let’s put a bonded 1/4-20 threaded tripod adapter on hold for now and add it if we can later.

Phil

Put me down for one more :slight_smile:

I agree with Phil on this. For the depth question, dunno - @work now, but it seems deep enough for all the attachments and tripods I've tried, but it's not as deep as I've seen on other lights - MT07, 7G10.

Well OK we leave it as is then :wink:

I am ordering a few things from Mouser. And i want to add 4 TIR´s for the Q8 to the shopping list. Can someone tell me what is the max TIR Diameter and hight that i can use with the Original Q8 MCPCB?

A threaded tripod adapter doesn’t sound to me like a thing worth including in the standard light.

I would use the tripod mount if I wanted to light up the pool area, or maybe for night barbecuing. Probably most often for taking pictures, especially as cell phones tend not to have flashes. Even with a flash camera, one needs a separate light to control shadows and reflections, pictures of pictures framed with glass in front for example. Taking pictures, the more light the better, so that is a likely use of this monster.

That really makes me want to go play with my camera and Q8 proto light. :slight_smile:

(not a real Q8, just a SRK modded with a Narsil driver)

(… and not a real camera, just a little ELPH)

Hmm.
If I store my camera on a raised flat surface, does that count as an ELPH An A Shelf?

Is there a guestimate on different runtimes?

Would it be possible to use/create a remote switch for the light. My primary use for this light would be for our mobile kitchen. Sometimes we cook in places where no elec is available so this would be great if I could put the light up somewhere and be able to turn it off/on without climbing a tree or tent pole.
Also when can we start talking about the QT aka the 4 AA version. That light would be perfect for the kitchen, I wouldn’t dare to leave the Q8 in the hands of the other persons running our kitchen.
Now we use somekind of rechargeable COB worklight that has a horrible tint and maybe 3h of runtime that was more expensive than the Q8. So the Q8 and maybe eventually the QT would be very welcome.

edit: would it also be possible to buy extra optics or lens since we wouldn’t have much use for a hotspot….

Hahaha @TK & TA :smiley:

Hmm tir optics for the Q8, I would wait a bit and we have the next samples in our hands to do actual measurements (I am being positive here and think/hope we need just one more proto and then all is OK :wink: )

For the camping a diffuser and ramping it to a good level not max should give good results and no need for hanging it high up a tree, ergo easy to reach.
A remote (app controlled) Q8 probably requires a lot of modding merging the Q8 and electronics from those bulbs one can remotely change (would be a really cool mod though :smiley: )