Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Will update the list later

Please add me to the list!! I’ll take one for sure! In the last 3 weeks I have bought the BLF A6 SE, Astrolux S41S, Convoy C8 and the Convoy L6. 100% satisfied with every one! I can only imagine what the BLF Q8 will do. Sweet looking quad!

Hello Miller, +1 here, Please and Thank-You.

Wow, this project has been running for so long, somebody actually forgot if they have already signed up or not. Fantastic.

Totally fantastic. Really nice to see this group making certain and crossing all the t’s and dotting the i’s (or is it j’s?) — Great job on the collaborators’ parts making sure all is in order before pulling the trigger. Dealing with some real pros here.

Do we have any rough timeline yet? It looks like the prototypes have gone down well. The beamshots are pretty awesome and we’re at 900+ people who want one :open_mouth:

Surely it can’t be too long before this beast is let loose on the world!

The last I saw was the end of November when another prototype was being tested with changes needed. I suppose those changes need to be made then another light shipped THEN christmas THEN Chinese new year. Okay I can see why there could be a delay. Heh, who knows is a new version of the prototype didnt need more changes.

I believe the Chinese New Year celebrations are holding up progress right now if memory serves me. Once that’s over, full steam ahead I would imagine :slight_smile:

Yes all is stopped during Chinese New Year

There was 1 prototype produced and Tom checked it out.
Lots of things needed work/attention/adaptation
Main thing the driver.
Thorfire did send a pic of the latest installment and the PCB looks exactly like PD designed it, a huge step forward comparing it to the proto driver filled with parts connected by little wires, using a MCU with hasty written new ramping software instead of Narsil
They understand the importance of Narsil and our design

We need to address the reflector and well packaging (and video of drop tests of the packaging) but that should be it.
So indeed we hope for these things to be done when they return from their holiday!
Time? Hmm same old “it is done when it is done” still applies :wink:

I’m hoping before June as I would like to gift one of these. Won’t hear any complaints from me regardless of time as long as it works!

Please add me to Interest list. Would definitely like to own a BLF light :smiley:

Sorry, but just couldn't let this go any longer with the ThorFire BLF Q8 proto. Had to do something bout the poor conducting tail springs. I'll let the pics do the talk'n:

Nice Tom! Do you know the amp draw before you started all that? Ending up over 20A is pretty intense! And the lumens now? This should be good… :wink:

Nice work :slight_smile:
So how long did it take to pick up 3 Amps as in Amps per Hour

It did take a little while, maybe 1.0 amp/hr, but I've done a few of these, always a little different.

A while back I posted the chart below of battery tests. Before I started the mods, I couldn't measure tail amps because I didn't have the wire loop. I don't think the work on the back side of the PCB made much difference, but probably some - the springs are the biggest problem. I only measured lumens after the mods were done this time, so I got:

VTC6 cells at 4.19V (20.3A): 6,530 @start, 6,090 @30 secs, throw of 56 kcd taken at 5m

The results were pretty good, slightly higher than the best #'s measured so far, and I did use other LEGO'd SRK battery tubes with bypassed springs.

Boy, I wish this light would fit 20700A's... I looked at it, and don't think the battery tubes could even be drilled out to fit 4 of those. Hhmm, maybe if you make a 4 cell pack shrink wrapped together?

Nice mod Tom. Gives some of us something to do now. :+1:

Impressive!
Since the springs of the proto still allows it to reach 4K is it worth the hassle to push for the double springs as in the specs list or do we leave that? (Knowing the $40 mark is very tight as it is and the proto springs are good ‘fuses’ thus a bit of a safety feature)

Well,the modders can bypass the springs at zero cost,while all the others have to pay for this more money, than if the people of Thorfire did it for all the lights.

I’d say double spings rather than a full bypass. At least if something goes really wrong a double spring can still act as a fuse quite easily. If you’ve got a wire bypass that’ll require a fair bit more power.

You could ask for double springs, and that will make a little difference for small costs. I’m not for it and not against it.

But personally I think that between 4000 and 5000 lumen is fine for this light, it is a very good output for this flashlight size and build and many people will appreciate that there is some safety in the fusable steel springs and that the heat mangement (usability) is considerably better at 14(?)A than at 20A.

And I assume that wanting more output roughly correlates with the ability to make spring bypasses.

I'm for the non-modder getting the most, so I'd like to see the double springs. I'm sure the non-modders greatly outnumber the modders.