Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Looks smart Dale!

Funny I was thinking exactly the same as TA with a cone pointing down as ideal filling for a diffuser for round bounces a part back to the emitters.
And then you show this solarforce

Guys check out Arnica oil, when I have something below the skin or a bruise it works wonders and fast too.

This is why I didn’t think a diffuser was a good idea, it would bounce light up into your eyes. If you just fired the light at the reflector you can tweak the angle until it gives you a nice outward beam that should be very close to the effect of having the LED’s firing down.

It would take some tweaking and designing but should not be that hard. The key is keeping the light emitted above 90 degrees to a minimum as it is rare that the lantern will be held up higher then eye level.

I have also used this for bruises with good results.

Look up RSD/CRPS if you'd like to know more.

Back on topic of the Q8 and the diffuser

Thank you The Miller, … #1257…??
Wow, Would this be the biggest project GB yet…? So impressed.!!

Yea, I've seen slightly better performance on soldered top 30Q's over button tops on the Q8, not much though. Not sure where those button tops came from though. Since the buttons are added by 3rd parties, I'd assume there are variations from where you buy them. But don't think the retailers really get into the quality of the added tops.

Hello,

Long time lurker. I feel like I can’t miss out on this light. Please put me on the list for two lights.

Thanks.

I got an answer from Arjan, he did not bite for a deal and did not say if and when he will have new stock, but he did say he has 30 or so still available and on the site they indeed show stocked again, for €5.45 a piece. He did not know the added resistance but mentioned that the button tops were spot-welded in 4 positions. Sounds as good as it gets!

I don’t know much about internal resistance… do you think the 0.040 vs 0.051 ohm will make much difference?

Thanks T18, i must say that since we hit 200 my personal feeling about this project changed from “let’s do a cool light” to “OK, this is a responsibility and must go right” a feeling growing with the list, I am going to be relieved when people have the Q8 in their hands for sure :wink:

Djozz he can do better, EU is a big market so if he gives a social discount, if only on shipping, he would get lots of orders. He is Dutch, historical keen on trade :wink:
Just tell him at least 25% of Q8s is going to be used in the EU, 1000 cells, with the wish list of 30Q/VTC6/GA sure he can do something :wink:
Refer him to this thread, he is free to contact me.

Tom that is good input, I can’t wait to have two Q8 one with the 30Q and one with trusty Panasonic protected 3400mAh just to see the difference

Oops almost missed your post,
Welcome to BLF!
Will update list later :wink:

Yes the batteries are a cancern, my 2 last shipment for VT6 got lost ?. I got a refund but that took about 8 weeks. Why didnt this light work with normal Sanyo 3500 battery like alot of other flashlight. They are sheap and decent output and long runtime. US have a group buy but what about us poor people living in Europe.

Button top requirement to make this flashlight costly since you have to order new batteries.

Still good work and I like this flashlight.

Well it actually does work with SANYO 3500 flat tops. Post #6954 here, chart at the bottom, lists the SANYO GA flat tops. Some feel ok using them, I've been hesitant of using them, but I can't say I've seen problems. I've been concerned about the contact to recommend them, but probably will be fine for most usages.

Ok, Thanks didnt know thow they worked. Good to know if I cant find batteries.

You can always solder blob flat tops.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the listed cells aren’t the only ones that will power this light, but are in theory the best ones.

I also remember reading that 4 cells aren’t even required, but that performance will suffer with fewer.

I’ve been trying to resist temptation, but this just looks too good to pass up.

The Miller, please add me to the list.

Got an email this afternoon from NKON that they are available again, so ordered directly, should be here tomorrow :slight_smile:
I’d say, let the Q8 come!

While I don’t know exactly what the perfect lantern solution is I’m all for finding one even if it’s only a diffuser. We’ve had an unusually high number of power outages in my area in the last year. In each of these outages I used my L6 as a room light because it puts out so much light on a medium setting that it provides sufficient light for a main living area while also having very long runtime. In may case I put it on top of some piece of furniture preferably above eye level and let the ceiling bounce illuminate the room. It works great. The Q8 will be even better than the L6 as a room light in my opinion thanks to it’s short squat form. Much more stable. Part of the reason I had the L6 on a high piece of furniture is that I didn’t want someone knocking over. The other is…you don’t want to look that beast in the eye. :wink:

The Q8 has excellent potential as an emergency lighting solution for at least three reasons off the top of my head.

1. It has a locator beacon side switch. If the power goes out you know right where your light is. Just follow that green glow.
2. High output and good runtime. A medium setting should provide plenty of nicely dispersed light without too much heat.
3. Stability. You have to put some effort into knocking this thing over. It’s a soup can! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I guess my attempt at humor (#45915) overshadowed my request to be put on the list ?